Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
TTD

How to remove Tag Tire?

I need to do some work directly behind the tag tire - that would be much easier with the tag tire off.

I do not have a jack that can lift my coach, so I'm looking for alternatives from anyone that has seen it done, or did it themselves?

So option 1 is to drive the dual axle up onto wood blocks, enough so that the tag would be off the ground. Would this work, or will the tag stay on the ground even with the dual tires elevated?

Option 2 would be to use the TAG RAISE button. Any reason not to use that and then remove the wheel?

Thank you,
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #2

I'd be more concerned on removing the lug nuts. They're torqued down to around 500 to 600 pound feet per nut. If you have a strong enough impact gun they're you're OK but a normal 1/2 in. drive impact won't budge the lug nuts. If you have a 1" or 3/4" socket set you could try adding an extension to your breaker bar. Math The sum of Torque/your weight So, say you need 600 pound feet of torque and you weight 200
600/200 = 3' of extension. (All of this is if you can stand on the very end of the breaker bar so, go a little longer)

I would think that if your raised the dual and allowed the tag to dangle it "may" over stretch the air bags. Not sure about that so maybe someone else knows the answer.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
You can purchase a 20 ton hydraulic jack at harbor freight or tractor supply for 40 or 50 bucks...I have a short stump style....

But as posted getting lug nuts off and retorqued maybe another issue.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Getting the lug nuts off and manhandling the tire is not an easy job. I would never trust a jack to support the weight of a MH if I needed to go under it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

From my experience in the big truck world, there is no reason why you cannot use the tag axle raise button to keep the tag axle up for wheel removal. To be safer, I would raise the tag axle, then put a jack stand under neath it.

If the axle does not have a parking brake, remember to loosen the lug nuts first.

I guess its all the years in the Army, changing tires by hand. Unless I'm doing a complete brake job, I don't bother to drag out the impact. I carry everything to change the tire on the road, and can do it long before any tire shop could come and change it for me.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Getting the lug nuts off and manhandling the tire is not an easy job. I would never trust a jack to support the weight of a MH if I needed to go under it.
Ditto, Jack stands are cheap compared to the cost of raising a MH that has fallen off a jack, not to mention any injuries involved.

A tag axle will just drop, and not let the MH fall, if the wheels on the drive axle are not removed. On the same line, you only need the capacity to safely support the weight of what the tag axle is rated for. (Yes, I know the tag does not actually carry that much weight, but it is a good reference & safety to meet or exceed the axles capacity with the jack stands rating).

AS extra safety beyond the jack stands, one could lower the levelers to take a bit of the MH weight off the main axle.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

I have a 1/2 Dr Milwaukee M18 Impact the most powerful model. It will bust those nuts right off. Xtra extensions take away the pwr but I have done the front tires and rear tag on my coach no problem. Handy tool to have on board
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I don't think he has the intention of lifting the whole coach! Just the tag axle enough to have a couple of inches of tag wheel off the ground.
But to really comment on this, more info about the tag would be needed, there are a few different types.
Not all tags can be lifted automatically.

Another option is to chain the tag and drive over blocks, but that takes a bit of experience. I had to do it once on a damaged logging truck.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Loosen the lug nuts, raise tag, remove tire and do your project. Unless you have 10T jack stands, a 10T jack, or 6X6 blocks... using anything else is only a false sense of security.

Use a pry bar and small blocks to raise the tire up to get it on the lug bolts when you put the tire back on.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

We are all mechanical here to a point. I agree with Tony and the others who are concerned about removing a tire of that size and torque requirements. If you can afford the coach then you can afford to have it removed and repaired safely, especially with all that could go wrong doing something "tricky" like chaining the tag or driving on a block. Those tricks are for emergencies or removing a dual axel trailer 15" tire, not a tire that weighs more than you do. Besides, I would bet that before you can get the tag tire off and back on you can complete the job by crawling around it.

Good luck and be careful.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
All the weight the op is trying to lift is what ever that tag axle wheel end is rated for. Probably a maximum of 10,000lbs... that's 5 tons. A 20 ton stump jack, a 6 ton jack stand would be safe.

Theres no fear in using the tag valve to just raise the axle and remove tire. This is probably the safest approach to this...I'ven many air suspensions on semi trailers that are liftable, as well seen trucks jacked up by chassis for axle repairs the didn't damage air bags.

But I'll add a disclaimer. If the op ain't comfortable or has knowledge/experience in handling heavy truck tire/wheels, lug nut torque, jack and jack stand placement, he should take it to a professional.

I'm courius to what type of work he wants to do that would be better done with tire removed?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
TTD

As to the comment of "bring it to a professional". I have tried 2 times now and neither place could figure out how to get the parts apart. I need to lubricate between my Power Take Off and my Hydraulic pump (both sit directly behind my tag wheel).

Both places missed that there was another bracket holding up my pump so they could not separate the two parts... but I've paid over $300 bucks for them to try. I have since sent photos of the bracket to the second place, but they are having trouble getting me in.

Unless they get me in this week, I'm going to try IvyLog's idea in Post #9 for a first attempt. (but first I will make sure I can break the nuts loose)
Old 06-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
TTD

Here's a photo: The blue is the HYD pump, and that silver bracket above is the one they both missed. It's above the pump so cannot see from below... I blindly took this photo by sticking my arm between the wheels and trying different shots.

The PTO is the red part on the left side of the photo... need to separate the two and lube the splines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyd Bracket.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	206608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pto and Pump.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	206609  

Old 06-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #14

Were they able to access the top pto to pump bolt? It looks just as difficult.

I can tell it would be faster and more efficient to remove tire assembly.

However you get it done, while the pump is off, check to make sure the pump to PTO adapter bolts are tight as well. I think they are allen head. I've seen some get loose on other applications and makes for a mess....