Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to replace tiny clamps from factory

Wondering how anybody handles those tiny clamps used on plastic lines. I know you can buy tools for them, but you have to buy a different size tool for each size. What are the best clamps to replace them?
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

maxwell18, are you referring to the clamps on the fresh water lines?
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you are talking about the metal clamp rings on PEX plumbing. They are generally all the same size in an RV, but I guess they can differ. The clamping tool is expensive, but most hardwares that carry PEX rents them. If you need to replace some, just take a piece of the pipe with you and they can fix you up.

I should also mention there are several mfgs that make alternate connections for PEX that don't require tools. Shark Bite is the only one that comes to mind right now.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a previous poster has already mentioned your plastic pipe is PEX tubing. The best way I have found to remove the crimped connectors is with a small hacksaw blade.

They should all be 1/2" connectors and while you can use SharkBite connectors, they tend to be fairly large. If you want something close to what you're removing that will work just as well and not cost as much for the tool, you might try the cinch clamp system:
Watts P-572 1/2-Inch Stainless Steel Cinch Clamp for 1/2-Inch PEX Pipe, 10-Pack - Amazon.com
Pex Cinch Clamp Fastening tool - Amazon.com
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

I went ahead and bought a multisize crimp tool, About $75, I have PEX water pipes in my S&B so it comes in handy. But for replacing elbow on my old Southwind ,a Shark Bite 90 let me slip fit it in that super tight space behind the water heater under the sink.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I prefer to use compression fittings for PEX tubing. My local RV supply has them in stock. I may be old fashion, I don't feel comfortable relying on an O-ring to seal a fitting like shark bite does.
PEX Flair It Plastic Compression Fittings Chart for Mobile Home Manufactured Housing

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Home Depot sells the fittings and sells a cheap version of the tool for about $50, and rents the good one for about $10 a day (it is over $100 to buy).
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Followup

Thanks to everybody for all the information in a short period of time. I was talking about the PEX water lines. Some of this new stuff, new to me has me having to look around and ask questions as we are just getting back in to motorhome rving again. Just turned 71 and have some juice left so here we ago again.....
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
As a previous poster has already mentioned your plastic pipe is PEX tubing. The best way I have found to remove the crimped connectors is with a small hacksaw blade.

They should all be 1/2" connectors and while you can use SharkBite connectors, they tend to be fairly large. If you want something close to what you're removing that will work just as well and not cost as much for the tool, you might try the cinch clamp system:
Watts P-572 1/2-Inch Stainless Steel Cinch Clamp for 1/2-Inch PEX Pipe, 10-Pack - Amazon.com
Pex Cinch Clamp Fastening tool - Amazon.com
Yep. I got this style crimper and rings at my local Lowes store. Works as good or better than the copper rings and definitely easier to remove the rings.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace