Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

How to run wiring across coach for battery monitoring system

I'm considering adding a battery monitoring system to my coach. I can see wiring under the interior flooring going from the inverter on the passenger side to the batteries on the drivers side.

Do you use fish tape to add additional wires like you would for electrical work done in a home through the conduit?

Also, where should you connect the monitoring system to the batteries so you ensure you are reading all the draw from the batteries and not missing something?
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You will need to install a shunt near the batteries. However, there is at least one battery monitor that has bluetooth connectivity so you don't need to run wires if you mount the unit near the shunt.

Here is an example. Read the installation instructions to see what's involved.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
You will need to install a shunt near the batteries. However, there is at least one battery monitor that has bluetooth connectivity so you don't need to run wires if you mount the unit near the shunt.

Here is an example. Read the installation instructions to see what's involved.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart
I like the idea of the bluetooth connectivity, but I was also hoping to use the Magnum battery monitor system since it integrates so nicely with my existing Magnum inverter and the remote panel.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
I like the idea of the bluetooth connectivity, but I was also hoping to use the Magnum battery monitor system since it integrates so nicely with my existing Magnum inverter and the remote panel.
Didn't know that piece of information so maybe someone can be more helpful with routing the wires.
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #5

I just added the Magnum BMK to my system. The shunt and module are installed near the battery bank and A wire run right back to the inverter and plugs in with a splitter. Everything you need is in the kit. My bank is on the drivers side behind the left steer tire. I drilled a hole into the basement from the battery box and ran the included wire back to the inverter. It's almost a plug-in-play installation. I will be replacing the RC50 panel with the ARC50 for better control options.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I just added the Magnum BMK to my system. The shunt and module are installed near the battery bank and A wire run right back to the inverter and plugs in with a splitter. Everything you need is in the kit. My bank is on the drivers side behind the left steer tire. I drilled a hole into the basement from the battery box and ran the included wire back to the inverter. It's almost a plug-in-play installation. I will be replacing the RC50 panel with the ARC50 for better control options.
I guess every coach is going to be different.

My battery bank and inverter are on opposite sides with a bathroom in the middle. I'm just wondering if I can use a fish tape to run the RJ11 cable under the floor between the two locations. It looks like there's already cable in a conduit from my inverter to the batteries.

Did you install the sense module and shunt in the same cargo bay that you're batteries are located in?
Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Magnum ME-BMK battery monitor a few months ago. The shunt needs to install on the main battery ground cable. Two small wires run from the shunt to the BMK module, and then the RJ11 phone cord runs to the Magnum inverter.

On our coach the main battery ground was very close to the inverter, so the wiring was easy.

I've used a fish tape to run other wires and it is easier with two people. You may have to cut the end off the RJ11 cable to make it easier to pull through and then crimp a new end on once complete.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

I am amazed an almost new DP does not have some sort of battery monitoring system.

If you can not tell by looking then the fish tape might find a path for the wire, you will just have to poke it and see if it wiggles.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I installed a Magnum ME-BMK battery monitor a few months ago. The shunt needs to install on the main battery ground cable. Two small wires run from the shunt to the BMK module, and then the RJ11 phone cord runs to the Magnum inverter.

On our coach the main battery ground was very close to the inverter, so the wiring was easy.

I've used a fish tape to run other wires and it is easier with two people. You may have to cut the end off the RJ11 cable to make it easier to pull through and then crimp a new end on once complete.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Install a shunt at the batteries and use a Victron 712 with Bluetooth. Monitor via your smartphone. No wires to run I side the coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Install a shunt at the batteries and use a Victron 712 with Bluetooth. Monitor via your smartphone. No wires to run I side the coach.
I thought there was still some wires that you have to run inside the coach? Is it truly 100 percent wireless?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Did you install the sense module and shunt in the same cargo bay that you're batteries are located in?
Yes and then just ran the communication cable to the inverter.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #13

If fish tape is not finding its way through like in wire a chase. Harbor freight has fiberglass fish tool straight rods that screw on each other . Also if old inverter has leftover abandoned wires to its panel you could pull with one of those provided the are not in plastic armor or zip-tied. I have pulled new wire with old and just replaced the one sacrificed at same time.I have used a vacuum cleaner to suck a special ribbon " like what you tie on a balloon no crinkles" "through piping many times you tie it to what you call a mouse or piece of rag.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I thought there was still some wires that you have to run inside the coach? Is it truly 100 percent wireless?
Only wires are from the shunt to the 712 monitor. You can install the 712 monitor in or near the battery bay. Then it communicates wirelessly via bluetooth to your phone.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor, wiring