Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would once again mention RVT.com. It is a national site. The internal search engine allows prospective buyers to search for exactly what they are interested in. It is likely not as popular as either RVTrader.com or Craigslist but as I noted earlier it is free for 30 days with 10 photos. I sold our former coach via that site.

Good luck

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I have sold a lot of cars and a couple of motor homes on Craigslist, but this info goes for any venue that you choose to sell. I have to agree with the others Pictures, Pictures, and more Pictures. But first clean the heck out of it.

Another thing that you have to do for your own sanity is to list everything, GOOD OR BAD. A serious buyer will read the ad completely, and having everything spelled out will eliminate a bunch of calls from people just fishing. You need to list motor, HP, trans type, towing capacity, tire age and mileage, chassis, length, and condition good and bad, to name a few. It cost nothing on most advertising sites for extra words, so use them to describe the unit and it's condition.

Another thing I put in my ads is NO TEXTS, I refuse to answer them, if the person is not willing to pick up the phone and talk to me, I don't want to deal with them because they are probably not serious. Not to mention most of the phishing comes from texts.

I also place in my ads in CAPITOL letters, NO OFFERS OVER THE PHONE, AFTER YOU LOOK AT IT YOU CAN MAKE AN OFFER. This eliminates most flippers and wholesalers just fishing for a good deal to make a buck on.

ALSO, you have to have a decent price or it will not sell, with the internet today it is too easy for someone to check the current value. If your rig is worth more than blue book, you better be able to explain why, and do so in the ad.

Plus, don't expect to get a retail price, the buyers don't want to go to a dealer because they are trying to save some money, and who can blame them, they are taking a risk buying from a private party. The other side of that coin is that the dealers have overhead to pay, that is why they get more money, it is a convenience factor for the buyers.

Good luck,
Jim
jlckmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzumwalt View Post
My wife and I have decided to sell our motorhome after the first of the year, and are trying to decide whether to sell it ourselves versus going through a broker, dealer, or some other kind of third party. We bought it six years ago and is the only RV we have ever had. We bought it direct from the previous owner and it was a good experience.

Any words of wisdom from those who have been there?
We just sold one on Craig's list and no matter how you cut it, you'll save a bundle by selling it yourself. You can expect NADA low retail if it's nice and still better than paying a consignment dealer, who will want between 10 and 15%, after you pay for any thing the buyer might find wrong and with the older low priced coaches, they will require a minimum, as well. Exp.....if you have one worth about $13K, then you can expect to get about 5 or 6K, by the time it's a done deal.
Your mileage will vary and depending on how large the dealer, your buddy, your enemy....etc.....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to you all!

This is a lot of great info. It is reassuring to hear from so many of you who have done this successfully. We have one last trip planned in January, then will plan to start advertising in February. Hopefully, this will be good timing with the spring travel season coming up.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your thoughts and advice.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #19

I sure wish more people took the good advice given here. I'm on the looking end & have been on RVT.com & RVTrader. I can't believe how many bad ads are out there. Terrible pictures, or lack of info. Some are from private seller & others are from dealers. I have bought a car from Ohio, horse trailer from Texas, a totaled Jeep from Utah & my F350 from Idaho. All were site on seen, but all had great pictures & info. Drove to Utah & flew to Texas, Ohio & Idaho. All were just like I expected. Good pictures and info sells!
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
I sure wish more people took the good advice given here. I'm on the looking end & have been on RVT.com & RVTrader. I can't believe how many bad ads are out there. Terrible pictures, or lack of info. Some are from private seller & others are from dealers. I have bought a car from Ohio, horse trailer from Texas, a totaled Jeep from Utah & my F350 from Idaho. All were site on seen, but all had great pictures & info. Drove to Utah & flew to Texas, Ohio & Idaho. All were just like I expected. Good pictures and info sells!
I get what you're saying but don't let past practice dictate the future, either, as pictures can me more than deceiving.
Either way, I'm most sure you'll be looking it over good, before writing any checks.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
I think we've all been there, I've formed an opinion about the internet advertising out there: patience and be analytical!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #22

This tread was informative, even from a buyers perspective.

98% of the ads don't use the "allowable" text field to describe the RV for Sale.

I've seen a few that just say "2004 Monaco. Call John for more details"
With only one or no pictures, these ads are a joke.. I email asking for photos and details(just for fun) before we maybe have a phone conversation. I would at least like to know what engine? lol

He emails back with no information as per my request. I also come across many ads with a few low resolution photos, and when I ask to send a bunch of high resolution photos, they don't want to take the time, saying those are the best photos they have, using their phone. As a buyer, I simple don't have time to take a full day to verify if the exterior and interior condition are what's expected for the price.

My question is regarding a testdrive for units i'm interested in.
When is it appropriate to actually test drive a used RV privately advertised?

From a sellers point of view, how many here allow testrides, and when is it appropriate, and not appropriate. To this day, I have never test driven a motor home, as winter is fast approaching, so everyone has them in storage/winterized, and most don't keep insurance on the rig when they have not used it for a year or two.

As a buyer, I feel it's important to test drive any bus i'm really serious about, but I have not gotten that far yet. I read in another thread, a buyer test drove every motor home he looked at, and commented how many had poor shifting Alison transmissions.

If I find a RV that I can afford, and it's a model I like in the appropriate condition for the price, I would want to test drive it for a couple days, on the way to my local "Big Rig" shop for a chassis inspection. The one night camping test will allow time to test the house accessories. Has anyone succeeded doing this strategy?
irnieracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnieracing View Post
This tread was informative, even from a buyers perspective.

98% of the ads don't use the "allowable" text field to describe the RV for Sale.

I've seen a few that just say "2004 Monaco. Call John for more details"
With only one or no pictures, these ads are a joke.. I email asking for photos and details(just for fun) before we maybe have a phone conversation. I would at least like to know what engine? lol

He emails back with no information as per my request. I also come across many ads with a few low resolution photos, and when I ask to send a bunch of high resolution photos, they don't want to take the time, saying those are the best photos they have, using their phone. As a buyer, I simple don't have time to take a full day to verify if the exterior and interior condition are what's expected for the price.

My question is regarding a testdrive for units i'm interested in.
When is it appropriate to actually test drive a used RV privately advertised?

From a sellers point of view, how many here allow testrides, and when is it appropriate, and not appropriate. To this day, I have never test driven a motor home, as winter is fast approaching, so everyone has them in storage/winterized, and most don't keep insurance on the rig when they have not used it for a year or two.

As a buyer, I feel it's important to test drive any bus i'm really serious about, but I have not gotten that far yet. I read in another thread, a buyer test drove every motor home he looked at, and commented how many had poor shifting Alison transmissions.

If I find a RV that I can afford, and it's a model I like in the appropriate condition for the price, I would want to test drive it for a couple days, on the way to my local "Big Rig" shop for a chassis inspection. The one night camping test will allow time to test the house accessories. Has anyone succeeded doing this strategy?
Take it to get it inspected maybe, but I think you would be better to have a mobile tech come with you to do the inspection. As for the trial run... no way. Unless I knew the person they would have to give me 100% IN CASH to hold before I would even think of that...and if someone suggested it they would have to have a REALLY good reason or I would think they just trying to get a free rental.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 2 day test drive is pretty much out of the question for me. I'm no expert when it comes to selling but I read my last 2 motor home buyers well enough to allow them a test drive. I felt that they had asked all the right questions and had spent a fair amount of time just looking at what we had to sell. I've even had buyers come with a lot of info about various systems and ask me if certain recalls, retrofits and so on completed.

I and most owners won't even let their own family take their RV for a weekend. I have yet to find an auto dealership let me take a new car for a weekend. Some insurance companies insure only the stated drivers.

There are tons of tire kickers out there and I've always found it easy to weed them out. I'm very willing to allow a variety of test driving. The last one we sold went for a 35 mile drive over a couple different types of roads. The buyer was content. An offer/counter offer was made and money changed hands. I'm happy and I'm hoping they are still happy with the deal.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I think you are going to have to bring your inspector to the rig, not take the rig to them. As far as a 2 day test, NO FLIPPIN WAY! would I ever let someone do that.

I just bought a MH today, I went over the coach for an hour or more, we then went into his house and went back and forth on the price. Once we settled on a price, I added that "I was fine with that, as long as it drove as nice as it looks" Seller said OK so we went on a 20 - 25 mile test ride. I pick it up on Saturday.

I tested 6 other coaches in the past 3 weeks, I drove all of them. BUT, I also told the sellers that I have owned comparable size motorhomes in the past while we were talking.

Your best bet would be to check out the MH completely, and be honest with them about never driving a MH before. Tell them that you want to test drive it, but you are willing to let them take it to a secluded area where they are comfortable with letting you take over. Some owners will not let you drive unless they have money in hand in the event there is an accident. With all the nuts out there today I guess I don't blame them.

You actually might be better off going to dealer sales lots and testing them before you try private party listings, at least then you could get your feet wet and be able to say you have driven one before.

Jim
Old 11-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #26

LOL. Why would anyone buy a motor home without driving it? I've driven two since I started looking last month. I'm glad I did as the first one's rear air brakes did't work. Thought I was going thru an intersection. When I got it back the front brakes were almost smoking, and the back of the coach didn't have any smell at all. I didn't figure out what was wrong till a week later, and by that time it was sold to someone else.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #27

RVT's free advertisement worked for me. Just sold my rig in 11 days after placing the advertisement on RVT. I followed most of the suggestions listed above (except video), had a ton of pictures on another site with a link in the RVT advertisement. I used most of their text allowance describing the coach including any defects that existed, and had all maintenance records since the coach was new. Priced it fairly, and sold it to the first buyer that looked at it...and he came 3000 miles to look at it.

Fred
Old 11-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #28

We sold our previous MH on Craig's List last year. Had 24 pictures, inside and outside, including dings and scratches, so as not to misrepresent the MH. Buyer flew out from Nebraska and took one look at the RV and said "I'll take it". I had to twist his arm to take a walk-through so I could point out where everything was. We did a bank transfer for the $$$ and he drove off the same day back home.

Tags
advice, motorhome