Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
How to sell your coach?

Buying one sure is easier than selling one!

I've been searching for an upgrade for a while now.

I've found lots of great deals from private party's, but cannot take advantage of them without first selling my coach.

Any ideas about what to do? Sure there's tons of them on dealers lots, but I would much prefer to help someone out by buying their coach. But what to do with mine?

[And what do you burn, apart from witches?] Cupie for the next line....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Anyway...back on topic...what a conundrum!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Anyway...back on topic...what a conundrum!
Somehow... I just knew... YOU of all people... would know this.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

BTDT.

We advertised on RV Trader & CL & flyers. We sold it through RV Trader but it took a while. After we upgraded the ad, we began to have a lot of calls and contacts. We also had a lot through CL as well. We dropped the $ once and held it for about a month then just as we were discussing dropping it again, it sold!

We had serious inquiries from MT, NY, OH and it sold to someone less than 100 miles from us (we're in southern Indiana).

Good luck!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

Personally.... I think the best, easiest way to sell an RV is to have a come-to-Jesus-moment with the REAL value of your coach...

Too many times people inject their emotional value into the object they are trying to sell.. I get it.. I understand.. but if you're serious about selling it... setting a solid price is going to be key to making it go away...

I was about to trade my old 1995 Holiday Rambler Vacationer against my new and current coach.. Sure, they made it appear I was getting a good trade, but in reality.. I wasn't.. I surely didn't have as desirable unit as you have.. I made the decision to sell it on my own.. I came up with a accurate description, nice pictures and a good price, even allowed for a little wiggle room.. I put the add up on craigslist.com and I had the RV sold in 3 days.. Mind you, this was two years ago, when the economy still wasn't the strongest..

I wish you the best of luck.. You have a beautiful rig.. and I know which one's you are looking at... I'm a bit jealous... while I LOVE my rig... the shopping and thought of a new one is always exciting...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Personally.... I think the best, easiest way to sell an RV is to have a come-to-Jesus-moment with the REAL value of your coach......
BINGO!!!!

Let's face it. For the most part (not always) folks buying coaches from private sellers are looking for a good bargain they don't think they can get from a dealer. Yes, there are other reasons to such as very specific criteria but price is king. While you can play games at a dealer with a trade in and perhaps be happy, it is a grind many don't like.

This is especially true for folks selling homes to go FT. Don't ask me how I know THAT!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

Plasma800, I have enjoyed some of your other posts and wish you luck. Perhaps you could try eBay with a low reserve and see how that goes? While mine was a much lower value than yours, I did that with mine, as well as a few classic cars with success. Could have an ad on CL as well. Seems like you are close enough to see about using the power of PPL and MHSRV for a consignment sale. If your travels are over for the season, hopefully you can get a quick sell now and be in a better position to grab an end of season value. Good luck!
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #8

I would suggest putting a large "For Sale" sign in the back window. Put price on it and phone number.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
All good ideas!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #10

Selling our MH gave me a whole different attitude and appreciation for what RV salesmen go through every day! We listed in all the usual on-line sources and found that we had to be 10-15% below Low NADA to generate much interest. Many, many phone enquiries would then refuse to even come see the rig if we weren't prepared to further discount 10%. I found it fascinating to learn that everyone had a BRL that had bought the same or much better rig for 20% less than our list price?

NO ONE cared about our expensive value added options....Winegard Traveller, new batteries, current tires, new microwave/convection, Roadmaster tow bar and comprehensive service records .....PRICE!

Dealers were in a position to ask much higher prices as they had traffic on their lot, could offer trade options, had aggressive financing opportunities, warranty assurances, extended warranties, tech advice/follow-up...etc, In our Province the Dealers are also governed by very strong consumer protection laws which require full disclosure of "everything" and money back guarantees subject to strict compliance laws & penalties. WHY wouldn't the consumer feel more comfortable buying from an established "regulated" business than from the guy in sunglasses in the backyard?

Once we arrived at -30% of Low NADA we threw- in the towel and went the consignment route where "we" got -20% and the Dealer sold our rig for a bit over Low NADA....in less than 2 weeks!

Just our experience .....your market is probably much bigger and more private Seller friendly....Good Luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oodle.com has @20 listed units similar to yours.

Asking prices from $89k to $130k.

The ones for $89k are still for sale.......
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

NO ONE cared about our expensive value added options....Winegard Traveller, new batteries, current tires, new microwave/convection, Roadmaster tow bar and comprehensive service records .....PRICE!...

Once we arrived at -30% of Low NADA we threw- in the towel and went the consignment route where "we" got -20% and the Dealer sold our rig for a bit over Low NADA....in less than 2 weeks!...
OH YES! We are tossing a lot of work into our coach to make it our own. New residential refer, Stacked W/D, new shocks, new flooring this fall and such. We KNOW going into these upgrades they will not make much difference in our trade in price down the line. They MIGHT make a small difference to a private buyer looking for those kinds of upgrades but we aren't banking on that. Our long term is to hold this coach for 5 years minimum which is when we also expect (sadly) to be without our 2 big dogs. At that point we will consider our options but for 5 years we will have the home we want.

Also keep in mind that trying to sell a MH more than 10 years old to a private buyer can present financing problems for a private buyer. Certainly a cash deal is not affected but if they are looking for significant financing then it can get a bit more complicated. At that state lenders start looking at whole sale value as a lending limit. As a trade in you feel the pinch but dealers are generally more adept at getting financing for coaches in that situation.

Also...from another thread I posted this.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jay, when we bought the MH I advertised our 5er and a Ford F250 on RVTrader.com on Craigslist, and in the Classified section here on IRV2. We were bombarded with scam offers from Craigslist! I would never make that mistake again!

I really liked RVTrader.com. The site is very easy to navigate by people looking for a particular RV. If I were doing it again I would take their deal of advertising it until it sells. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Jay, when we bought the MH I advertised our 5er and a Ford F250 on RVTrader.com on Craigslist, and in the Classified section here on IRV2. We were bombarded with scam offers from Craigslist! I would never make that mistake again!

I really liked RVTrader.com. The site is very easy to navigate by people looking for a particular RV. If I were doing it again I would take their deal of advertising it until it sells. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Boy don't you know it! I've had so many calls from "services" and emails from scammers, it's CRAZY. I'm thinking to myself.. do people really sit around and do this???