Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

How To Stream Video's Through My MH TV?

I would like to stream shows like Newflix from my laptop through my TV onboard. Anyone know how this can be done? I am connected to the internet already.
gc241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Best way is with a device like Apple TV or Google Chromcast

Chromcast is cheaper. About $40 at Best Buy
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roku, Firestick, Smart Blu Ray Player. I have two smart Blu Rays and a Chromecast. I prefer to stream using the Blu Ray Players.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #4

I already have a DVD player that plays DVD's through the onboard TV.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc241 View Post
I would like to stream shows like Newflix from my laptop through my TV onboard. Anyone know how this can be done? I am connected to the internet already.
The way we do it is:
We have a Mac Air laptop. I bought an adapter that plugs into my Thunderbolt port on one end and it has a HDMI on the other. Then I plug a standard 3' HDMI cable into that adapter and the other end into the back of the TV's HDMI port. We use the Mac Air to login to our Netflix acc't and it plays both on the Mac Air and the TV and all the content that we watch is controlled on the Mac Air except for the sound. That is controlled with the TV remote control. Once we start watching what we want, I simply dim the screen on the Mac Air.

When we bought our MH, our living room TV already had HDMI ports but our master bedroom was an older 19" TV that did not. So we upgraded that TV by buying a Samsung 32" from Best Buy that did have HDMI for $187. So now each TV has a HDMI cable plugged in and we just move the Mac Air to whatever TV we want to watch and plug in the HDMI cable.

In addition to that, we have a small mobile Hotspot box from T-Mobile for $20/mo. and that's how we connect to the internet and T-Mobile does NOT charge us for streaming content against our plan through that hotspot device. So we watch, Hulu, Netflix & Amazon Prime FREE with no limits.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

If you upgrade to a Blu Ray for about 80 bucks, your DVDs will look almost like HD, you can play Blu Rays, and you connect the player to the internet. They have built in aps for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, and lots of others. Well worth it. Also you can connect a Smart Blu Ray either wired (both of mine are wired) or wireless, the second is faster and more stable, not as much spooling. Streaming sticks like the Chromecast are wireless only.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

I wrote a pretty good article on what we do while we travel on our blog about our travels

Cable type TV in the RV | RV Part Time

I tried about every option including an ipad the android device with casting works better and more easily than about anything else.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

My TV doesn't have a HDMI port. Do I need a converter for it?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #9

easiest way is to get a newer TV
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #10

Check out Miracast.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Replace your DVD player with one that's Wi-Fi compatible if yours isn't ALREADY. Problem solved
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #12

Ok, so I am slightly confused here. I have a RCA DVD/VHS player that probably came with the 06'coach. So,should I replace it with a Smart Blu Ray player or a DVD player with Wifi so I can stream Netflix, etc?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #13

Yes, you'll want to upgrade to a new one with Wi-Fi capabilities and you'll be good to go
Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #14

Something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZI...b-L&ref=plSrch