Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
How to use 50 to 15 amp

So I'm at my house and figured I'd plug in to the 110 and use a 50 to 15 adapter. I am not sure what it should do for me but I expect it would run the 12v stuff. I think the EMS didn't like it but I have nothing on. I bypassed the EMS in the power bay but still nothing. Heard a few things cycle on then off. Then went to unplug and the extension cord was hot.

What use is 50 to 15 and how should I be using it?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The 12 volt stuff should always run, unless your batteries are run down, or turned off.

The technology in yours is WAY beyond what's in mind, but if I'm not too mistaken you've got a fancy control panel in there somewhere. In that panel I believe you'll find where you can tell the EMS what power source you're connected to (50 amp, 30 amp, 20 amp). My GUESS is that it's set to 50 amp and isn't managing the power correctly. Change the settings and see if it's better behaved.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
When my RV is in the driveway, I plug my 50 amp shore cord into a 50>30 amp adaptor, then a 30>15 amp adaptor that fits in an outdoor outlet (15 amp breaker) My EMS monitors amps used. I can operate my RV refrigerator, converter/charger, even a TV or couple of small fans if needed. No A/C, if I wanted to use the microwave I'd turn off everything else so not to overload the circuit.

A heated wire or connection means resistance is present. I'd use a larger gauge extension cord and make sure all prongs and connections are clean and shiny.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
The 12 volt stuff should always run, unless your batteries are run down, or turned off.

The technology in yours is WAY beyond what's in mind, but if I'm not too mistaken you've got a fancy control panel in there somewhere. In that panel I believe you'll find where you can tell the EMS what power source you're connected to (50 amp, 30 amp, 20 amp). My GUESS is that it's set to 50 amp and isn't managing the power correctly. Change the settings and see if it's better behaved.
Smart advice. Need to select your incoming power amperage.
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
So I'm at my house and figured I'd plug in to the 110 and use a 50 to 15 adapter. I am not sure what it should do for me but I expect it would run the 12v stuff. I think the EMS didn't like it but I have nothing on. I bypassed the EMS in the power bay but still nothing. Heard a few things cycle on then off. Then went to unplug and the extension cord was hot.

What use is 50 to 15 and how should I be using it?
15 amps is like Boondocking - will handle the batteries - maybe the refrig - Be sure the A/C is Off - Hot water heater is 13 amps, so use the gas setting if plugged into 15. Often if the batteries are low this will be a heavy draw and you will need to dial back your charger on 15.

When in doubt just fire up the genny - you should have some sort of meter that will tell you what you are using.

Hope that helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 50 to 15 amp adapter, bought it from Home Depot but it's not normally stocked, had to order it. Use it all the time at the stick house, but last time out I forgot I had been running the gen and all three heat pumps to cool the rig off. Kept blowing the breaker at home till I remembered to turn off the heat pumps!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
50 amp RV service is two hot legs of 120, one line of neutral, and a ground. Each leg is 50 amps, so you actually could use up to 100 amps when plugged in to a 50 amp outlet. When adaptors are used from 15 or 30 amps to 50, the single hot leg is split into the 2 legs of the 50 amp plug. Without this split, half of your breaker panel would be dead. The current is limited by the smallest breaker in the circuit, so if you're only plugged into a 15 amp home outlet, when you try to draw more, the breaker will trip. Likewise, if a 50 amp RV is plugged into a 30 amp outlet, when your try to exceed 30 amps, the breaker will trip.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
How to use 50 to 15 amp

I found the charger alone pulls quite a bit when first plugged in on our unit. Once it hits float it is better. I also store in the winter plugged into a 15 amp socket. So if you have any other loads it will be pulling a lot on a 15 or 20 amp circuit.
Also too small a cord with any length will pull the voltage down and EMS will kick it out.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I found the charger alone pulls quite a bit when first plugged in on our unit. Once it hits float it is better. I also store in the winter plugged into a 15 amp socket. So if you have any other loads it will be pulling a lot on a 15 or 20 amp circuit.
Also too small a cord with any length will pull the voltage down and EMS will kick it out.
Yup, had that issue at the S&B with 15a. Called the electrician and installed RV pedestal with 50/30/20 at the concrete pad & another one in the garage for friends who sometimes park in front while visiting... ended all the issues.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

Check your inverter remote panel and see if you can select 20a service.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
When my RV is in the driveway, I plug my 50 amp shore cord into a 50>30 amp adaptor, then a 30>15 amp adaptor that fits in an outdoor outlet (15 amp breaker) My EMS monitors amps used. I can operate my RV refrigerator, converter/charger, even a TV or couple of small fans if needed. No A/C, if I wanted to use the microwave I'd turn off everything else so not to overload the circuit.

A heated wire or connection means resistance is present. I'd use a larger gauge extension cord and make sure all prongs and connections are clean and shiny.
I do the same as you when in my driveway except I dont have an outdoor plug anywhere at my house so I bought one of those plugs that screws into a light bulb socket. and plug my 15 amp adapter into that. I use it to power the fridge and lights and keep the batteries charged is all.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
When possible, run your 50A cord all the way to the source and adapt there.
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
50 amp RV service is two hot legs of 120, one line of neutral, and a ground. Each leg is 50 amps, so you actually could use up to 100 amps when plugged in to a 50 amp outlet. When adaptors are used from 15 or 30 amps to 50, the single hot leg is split into the 2 legs of the 50 amp plug. Without this split, half of your breaker panel would be dead. The current is limited by the smallest breaker in the circuit, so if you're only plugged into a 15 amp home outlet, when you try to draw more, the breaker will trip. Likewise, if a 50 amp RV is plugged into a 30 amp outlet, when your try to exceed 30 amps, the breaker will trip.

......I am glad someone said it was 120v....I always turn up an eye when I hear 110. [emoji4]

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have new a new plug and connector on my 30amp RV cord. It reaches to a 15Amp outlet I installed right next to my breaker box. Nothing gets hot when I run the 13,5k AC unit non-stop. I suspect the first place to get hot would be the adapter as they get older. I do have my converter on it's own breaker and keep it turned off.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote