Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2021, 04:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 5,553
How to use Black Tank additive

I have a 40 gallon Black Tank. And my Coach came with some "Holding Tank Additive". But the instructions are unclear to me. It says to add 4oz with 1 gallon of water and then flush into tank.

So does that mean I'm only going to have 1 gallon of liquid in the tank when I put Coach in storage? Or is the intent that I put this stuff into the tank before using it, and while using it (while camping). And leave the tank empty when I put Coach into storage?

I usually flush my tanks real good, then add around 10 gallons of water to the Black Tank (through the tank flush connection). I store the Coach with 10 gallons in the tank. BTW - I live in hot climate so no chance of freezing.
__________________
Mike --- 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder CAT C13 525HP --Links below to my OneDrive docs---
*Monaco Chassis, Engines, Problems https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn
*Monaco Wiring Diagrams https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I have a 40 gallon Black Tank. And my Coach came with some "Holding Tank Additive". But the instructions are unclear to me. It says to add 4oz with 1 gallon of water and then flush into tank.



So does that mean I'm only going to have 1 gallon of liquid in the tank when I put Coach in storage? Or is the intent that I put this stuff into the tank before using it, and while using it (while camping). And leave the tank empty when I put Coach into storage?



I usually flush my tanks real good, then add around 10 gallons of water to the Black Tank (through the tank flush connection). I store the Coach with 10 gallons in the tank. BTW - I live in hot climate so no chance of freezing.


4 oz is what you need for 40 gallons of poop. The gallon of water is to wash it down to tank. You could store it with how much water you prefer.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 4,763
FWIW, I have just as good results using nothing but 5 gallons of water after emptying the tank. We very rarely have any odor and the tank flushes clean.
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
2013 Avalanche
CJ7 Rock Crawler
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 48,236
Mike, just get some Happy Camper tank treatment and solve all the problems! It really works!
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 9,047
Well,
We've been camping/RVing/Glamping/remote or with hookups for oh, maybe 35+ years or so. In the beginning, eons ago, I used to purchase and insert, different kinds of black tank treatment when camping. In some cases, that treatment might only have been in the tank for less than 24 hours due to some given circumstances at the time, i.e. pack up and leave the next day after installing said treatment.

Over time, I started using less and less of any form of black tank treatment. I have always used a clear connection to the black tank in series so I could see when it was clear, when flushing the tank. For the most part, even when a treatment was in the tank for oh, maybe up to 3-4-5 days before emptying it, what I would see when I yanked that handle to empty that tank, was the fact that there were still SOLIDS flowing past that clear section.

So, for this "stuff" to break down solids, is, in my opinion, a bit of a stretch in a selling point. And, with all that being said, we have ceased to use any form of treatment for several years. Using it makes no difference, at least to us. Every RV'er needs to do what they feel is best in situations like this. If you feel using a tank treatment is of value, then by all means, keep on doing what you're doing.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,526
Good advice from Fire Up. No harm in using additives according to instructions.

I have taken to driving my TT with 5 gallons in my 26 gallon tank and dumping when I get to the campground. It helps to remove a lot of stuck on stuff. I can see it using my transparent hose connector when I dump.
__________________
Paul Bristol
Kodiak Cub 176RD
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Good advice from Fire Up. No harm in using additives according to instructions.

I have taken to driving my TT with 5 gallons in my 26 gallon tank and dumping when I get to the campground. It helps to remove a lot of stuck on stuff. I can see it using my transparent hose connector when I dump.
Add 2 lbs of borax and a 1/4 cup of dawn dish soap on that drive and your tank will be spotless.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Add 2 lbs of borax and a 1/4 cup of dawn dish soap on that drive and your tank will be spotless.
As mentioned, to each his or her own. Me,, I'm not wasting my time trying to get the tank spotless. It's a urine and poop holding tank that gets dirty every time we use it. Water by itself should work fine if the RV is plumbed correctly.

On the OP's question, the directions mean to add the chemical at the start of toilet's usage. Adding it to the tank ahead of storage comes out the same if you leave the water in during the next series of toilet usage. I would not add it if your plan is to dump the storage water before using the toilet on the next trip.

Adding water for storage,, I've never done it but it seems most on here do. I would say though that 10 gallons is way more than needed.
__________________
03 Itasca Sunova, Workhorse P32 with the 8.1 and 4L85-E
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
We've been camping/RVing/Glamping/remote or with hookups for oh, maybe 35+ years or so. In the beginning, eons ago, I used to purchase and insert, different kinds of black tank treatment when camping. In some cases, that treatment might only have been in the tank for less than 24 hours due to some given circumstances at the time, i.e. pack up and leave the next day after installing said treatment.

Over time, I started using less and less of any form of black tank treatment. I have always used a clear connection to the black tank in series so I could see when it was clear, when flushing the tank. For the most part, even when a treatment was in the tank for oh, maybe up to 3-4-5 days before emptying it, what I would see when I yanked that handle to empty that tank, was the fact that there were still SOLIDS flowing past that clear section.

So, for this "stuff" to break down solids, is, in my opinion, a bit of a stretch in a selling point. And, with all that being said, we have ceased to use any form of treatment for several years. Using it makes no difference, at least to us. Every RV'er needs to do what they feel is best in situations like this. If you feel using a tank treatment is of value, then by all means, keep on doing what you're doing.
Scott
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
Central Kentucky
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
On the OP's question, the directions mean to add the chemical at the start of toilet's usage.
Thanks.
That is what I want to know -
I didn't buy this additive, it was with the Coach when I bought it (and I never used it). And since it is old (over 2-years now), I just threw it away. I'll stick to "a good tank flush/clean out and leaving some clean water in the tank" prior to putting her in storage.
__________________
Mike --- 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder CAT C13 525HP --Links below to my OneDrive docs---
*Monaco Chassis, Engines, Problems https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn
*Monaco Wiring Diagrams https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
ArtJoyce's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Posts: 1,372
We like to add more water. We use 5 gallons. If we are using the additives or not.
__________________
Art & Joyce
Thornville, OH
35' DP Endeavor being pushed by a Kia Soul
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 7,429
After I drain the black tank, I add liquid to the tank by drinking a lot more beer for a day or so.
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
Central Kentucky
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 23,945
I use the cheapest tank additive I have ever found WATER; enough to keep all solids completely covered.
This may fail me some day, but it's worked for over 50 years to date.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 9,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
After I drain the black tank, I add liquid to the tank by drinking a lot more beer for a day or so.
Now THAT, is a good remedy for this scenario!!!!!
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I use the cheapest tank additive I have ever found WATER; enough to keep all solids completely covered.
This may fail me some day, but it's worked for over 50 years to date.
Yep, that's us too, plain old water. When we use the toilet, not sure about the CEO but, when I'm done with #2, the toilet gets filled almost to the brim, before quickly flushing. The sudden downrush of the contents, prevents Mt Kilamanjaro from building up and causing problems and, by using a bit more water for those #2 flushes, causes everything to just flow out way more easily and fluidly when dumping.

When I dump or especially when I'm flushing the tank, if the jacks are already down, I'll let the left side down a bit and raise the right side of the coach just a few inches. That causes an Indianapolis speedway in my sewer hose as EVERYTHING is GONE in my black tank like, RIGHT NOW!
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you use diesel anti-gel additive for a week with lows in the 20's? Steele Newmar Owner's Forum 16 04-09-2018 07:45 AM
Black tank additive model a guy RV Systems & Appliances 34 03-09-2015 11:41 PM
Should I Use A Fuel Additive? Marinelender Caterpillar Engine Forum 12 10-16-2013 06:07 PM
Do you use a Diesel Additive? csrrsr Class A Motorhome Discussions 24 10-02-2013 08:20 AM
which fuel additive do you use buynow43 Class A Motorhome Discussions 20 08-03-2013 02:18 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.