Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

How to use black tank flush in cold weather

How can you use your black tank flush inlet when the temperature is below freezing?
There is always plenty of water spray whenever I flush my black tank in the wet bay. No matter how careful I am water spills into the bottom of the wet bay. I could wipe up the water that spills onto the wet bay each time, but I think I would still have some water residue that would ice up.
I'm wondering what most folks do in terms of utilizing the black tank flush in freezing temperatures? My thought was not to use the black tank flush at all in the winter months and just take a couple of pots of water and pour them down the toilets so that I have enough fluid at the bottom of my black tank after it's been dumped.
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

We don't bother with flushing even when it's not cold. Never understood the imperative some feel to have a clean black tank.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't indicate your coach/yr/model, so I have no idea why you are getting water splashed in your wetbay. I have no extraneous leakage, because when the black tank flusher is draining after the flush (fresh water from the airgap/backflowbreak down), I have a short hose which drains that little bit of fresh water down under the coach.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used my black tank flush about three times in 14 years.

Wouldn't worry about it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

The only time I use ours is to rapidly put water in the tank for a wash cycle while traveling.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
How can you use your black tank flush inlet when the temperature is below freezing?
There is always plenty of water spray whenever I flush my black tank in the wet bay. No matter how careful I am water spills into the bottom of the wet bay. I could wipe up the water that spills onto the wet bay each time, but I think I would still have some water residue that would ice up.
I'm wondering what most folks do in terms of utilizing the black tank flush in freezing temperatures? My thought was not to use the black tank flush at all in the winter months and just take a couple of pots of water and pour them down the toilets so that I have enough fluid at the bottom of my black tank after it's been dumped.
We are fortunate in that our travels in below freezing temps may only be 2-3 days each January when heading to Florida, so we usually wait to dump once we are in warmer climates.
If we "had" to dump in freezing temps, I would not attempt to flush the tanks, but would wait.
Having said that, I make it a point to use the Black Tank Flush every time we dump, temperature permitting.
With a clear elbow on the dump hose, it is easy to see how the flush really does help to keep the tank clean and in good working order.
We all have our own system for doing things.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

We winter in our motor coach. I have the black tank flush PEXed from the water input in the heated water bay, plumbed with a backflow preventer and a ball valve shut off. No leaks. It has had no problems since I installed it.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #8

I have been using the black tank flush mostly to add water after I dump the tank so I have some fluids at the bottom of the tank when it's empty.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #9

I have a 2018 Coachmen Sportscoach DP. I think part of my issue is that the city water connections are under the coach so you have to crawl under the coach to disconnect from the city water, which I do not do each time I add water to the tank. The water to the black flush inlet is still pressurized from the city water when I'm done adding water. I have added an above ground shut off valve, so I don't have to crawl back underneath the coach when I'm done filling the black tank, but that doesn't relieve the pressure, so as I remove the hose I get some water spray from the pressure. I believe the purpose of the city water connection under the coach is to help insulate the outdoor plumbing in the colder months. It's a real pain as far as I am concerned, but I believe it was constructed in the 60's. If you skirt your rig in the winter I can see some additional benefit to insulating the city water plumbing.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I have been using the black tank flush mostly to add water after I dump the tank so I have some fluids at the bottom of the tank when it's empty.
To clean my two black tanks after a trip I fill them using a pipe designed to hold the toilet opening open which allows water to enter the black tank. I'm able to see directly into the tank so I know when it is full.

I then drain the tank and fill it again using a cup of Dawn dish soap premixed with water so it is all dissolved. I fill the tanks to the top and let it sit for a day or two so any solids will be dissolved or at least softened.

I then drain the tanks and fill the bowl with water and a half cup of Dawn dish soap. I scrub the bowl with that mixture using a three inch toilet bowl scrub brush. Then I open the drain and stick that brush down in the opening to scrub off the rubber seals with the soapy water.

I then add about two gallons of water so that the tanks don't dry out while it is stored. I also fill the toilet bowls with water while in storage so the seals don't dry out.

I've been doing that 14 years with this coach that has two toilets and have never had a problem with either toilet nor do I get any smells.

I don't close the toilet seat lids as that will cause mold to grow in them and I check every few weeks to make sure the water hasn't evaporated which would let the seals dry out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prime-Pro...&wl13=&veh=sem
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
You don't indicate your coach/yr/model, so I have no idea why you are getting water splashed in your wetbay. I have no extraneous leakage, because when the black tank flusher is draining after the flush (fresh water from the airgap/backflowbreak down), I have a short hose which drains that little bit of fresh water down under the coach.
I have a 2018 Coachmen Sportscoach DP. I think part of my issue is that the city water connections are under the coach so you have to crawl under the coach to disconnect from the city water, which I do not do each time I add water to the tank. The water to the black flush inlet is still pressurized from the city water when I'm done adding water. I have added an above ground shut off valve, so I don't have to crawl back underneath the coach when I'm done filling the black tank, but that doesn't relieve the pressure, so as I remove the hose I get some water spray from the pressure. I believe the purpose of the city water connection under the coach is to help insulate the outdoor plumbing in the colder months. It's a real pain as far as I am concerned, but I believe it was constructed in the 60's. If you skirt your rig in the winter I can see some additional benefit to insulating the city water plumbing.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

I'd be interested to learn more/see a picture of how you PEXed the black tank flush. It sounds like it might be the solution I'm looking for. I use a heated hose from the city water to prevent the hose from freezing, trying to envision how you are connected to the black flush inlet, do you use a 2nd heated hose?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #13

WE are seldom below freezing all day. I would wait until the afternoon and warmer temps. Clean up the backflow as best you can and don't worry too much about it.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
I'd be interested to learn more/see a picture of how you PEXed the black tank flush. It sounds like it might be the solution I'm looking for. I use a heated hose from the city water to prevent the hose from freezing, trying to envision how you are connected to the black flush inlet, do you use a 2nd heated hose?
Here is how I plumbed the black tank flush. You can see the ball valve shut off and the brass backflow preventer. There are two other backflow preventers and a vacuum break between the back of the water bay wall and the black tank.

The fresh water hose coming into the coach first goes through a water pressure gauge, a water pressure regulator, a ball valve shut off and a brass backflow preventer then splits to the water filter and the black tank flush.

During winter, I disconnect the water hose coming out of the reel and connect our heated water hose in its place. The coach's insulated basement and water bay are heated by the propane furnace so I don't need any other heat source. Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20180728120819911.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	218016

Tags
black tank, cold weather, tank