Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

How windy is to much?

I drive a 32 Foot Fleetwood Storm. Being a new driver, I feel like the truckers blow me off the road. The big question is, when should I scrub driving all together due to wind?
TravelinRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinRich View Post
I drive a 32 Foot Fleetwood Storm. Being a new driver, I feel like the truckers blow me off the road. The big question is, when should I scrub driving all together due to wind?
When you feel uncomfortable and safety is in question. Wind always is something that makes driving not fun and strong winds can be very intimating and when the big rigs go by it is intensified. Even in my current rig, strong crosswinds keep you busy. I had a 30 foot Adventurer a while ago and that was simply scary driving in winds.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #3

High Wind Warnings go into affect when winds reach 40MPH sustained
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #4

I-10 in AZ was shut down near Casa Granda due to low visibility from wind blown sand. That’s too windy to drive in.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's a personal choice. It could be a 35mph headwind and killing your mileage, or a 35 mph tailwind giving you the best mileage ever. To me, the worse wind is that coming at an angle across the nose of the coach. My coach is heavy, has a tag axle and Comfort Steer, so my comfort level will be different from someone diving a small Class A.

So the answer......stop when you're uncomfortable.

Here's something I would like to see on State and Federal Highways. I know several spots out west where certain spots on those roads always have a strong crosswind coming out of a canyon. Why not place a windsock in the center divider as a warning.

I'm not talking hundreds of wind socks. Just some bad areas. I can think of two off the top of my head.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

Gotta love those 40 MPH tailwinds.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
OCM

The Woming state flower is a wind sock.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are on a Ford F53 chassis, look into the CHF.. This should help a lot...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinRich View Post
As many have already said it’s up to what you feel safe in. Also that level will be affected to how your coach is set up and upgrades to suspension you have made for better handing. I recently posted our experience last week coming back through Yreka all the way into pierce county WA. High wind warnings all the way in (25mph sustained and gusts recorded at 60). You will definitely need to decrease your speed and find the sweet spot, for us in that situation during the strongest crosswinds it was about 45-50mph. We also had very heavy rain which added to the excitement. It helped to fill the fresh water tank, propane, fuel, etc to get as much weight as safely possible onto the chassis. These tall boxes are great at acting like a sail and side winds easily push you around. I have had quite a bit of experience driving heavy and high profile rigs in bad conditions but there were times during that day I thought about calling it a day.
You will learn the feel of your coach and what your and it’s limits are, remember to always error on the side of safety. Life is more important than time! Best of luck in your travels.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
High Wind Warnings go into affect when winds reach 40MPH sustained
Sustained winds are predictable. Its the gusts that get you. Yes, the trucks effectively cause gusts, but you can see them coming.

Track bars and anti-sway bars may help. So will koni shocks, although Koni does not stand behind their warranty.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCM View Post
The Woming state flower is a wind sock.

And Minnesota's state bird it the Mosquito.

North Dakota's state tree is the telephone pole.

Love it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #12

We had a 32' Storm and the tail wag on that short wheelbase with semi's passing is excessive, add in some side winds and it's difficult to control.

Most Ford chassis owners seem to advocate for the CHF which is moving the front sway bar links to the next hole location. My best help came from installing a rear "trac bar". It bolts from the differential "pumpkin" to the frame. It "locks" the rear axle to the frame reducing the rear body overhang sway. There are many manufacturers, ours was a Blue Ox brand. They all work the same.

Friend with a 31' Winnebago went further and had both sway bars upgraded AND the trac bar. He is VERY pleased. Threre are also Sumo springs which I've read make a significant difference. I have no first hand knowledge with them.

If you are going to keep it, improve it. It's basically a delivery truck chassis.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #13

Watch the weather and road reports. If they say its going to be windy, plan on staying put. You can go if you have to, but the risk goes up. We shut it down in Bakersfield one time because the radio said high profile vehicles should. An hour later, a tractor trailer got blown over. One time in NFLD Canada, I had part of my roof blown off my winnebago 37g. Wish I would not have drove that day. Others have had their awnings unfurl due to high side winds. They probably wish they had not driven that day. If you dont have to go, and can afford the extra time, always err on the side of caution. Its like going down a mountain too slow. You can go down too slow hundreds of times, but only too fast once. Cheers
Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If you dont have to go, and can afford the extra time, always err on the side of caution. Its like going down a mountain too slow. You can go down too slow hundreds of times, but only too fast once. Cheers
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote