Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How would you handle this and some expert advice needed.

Had 6 new tires put on through Michelin Advantage at TCI in Chattanooga. Asked before they started if they would use extra care not to scratch my wheels. Quick response was "We do this every day and take extra care on aluminum wheels. Got back home and cleaned up the goo they used to put tires on with as the dealer's employees left them in a mess after install. (Had 2 steers moved to tag and paid all extras on mount and balance for all 8.) Well....... all 6 of the aluminums now have some form of either scratch, scuff, ding, or gouge, some more than a little. I called the dealer and told them and will be going back in for them to look at it. They want to see if the damage can be buffed out. Called today, as truck tire mgr was out last week on vacation, and was given a "call before coming in to see if I will be in or out seeing customers" attitude.
Am I being to picky?
One they moved to the tag was installed inside out, but on same side and when I asked, was told that is no problem now with new radials. Am I looking for this one to come apart on the road because its direction of rotation has been reversed?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Chuck
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
When you get there, ask them who their insurance carrier is? That much damage is just plain carelessness and not an "accidental" slip of the air gun. I would hold out for new rims or if you choose a rather large adjustment. You might also call your agent and ask for another opinion.
On Edit: I would also notify Michelin Advantage of the service you received and see what their attitude is.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

I'd also go to a different tire shop that sells your wheels and get an estimate of replacing or rebuffing. That'll give you an amount to use as leverage. Without seeing the actual damage, all we can do here is guess at what your costs might be and weather it's a repairable action or if replacement is needed. Small claims court action could be mentioned when you're talking to the original shop.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #4

wheels

I had same problem with two tires that were replaced. It took a long time and a lot of pressure and calls on my part but got both wheels replaced. We should not be required to suffer because of someone's not taking the time to do a job right. Bet they wouldn't do it to there wheels. Stay on hem!!
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #5

OK, here is my "Expert Advise" that you asked for.

If you did not take close up pictures in order to prove when, and where the PERCEIVED damage occurred, shame on you.

You indicated that you asked they use extra care on the install, but took no "due diligence" action yourself.

As you can tell, I am not one of those that just falls in line, and takes the original posters side. I think!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Most alcoa wheels used on late model motorhomes are clearcoated, they absolutely cannot ever be "buffed out"
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
OK, here is my "Expert Advise" that you asked for.

If you did not take close up pictures in order to prove when, and where the PERCEIVED damage occurred, shame on you.

You indicated that you asked they use extra care on the install, but took no "due diligence" action yourself.

As you can tell, I am not one of those that just falls in line, and takes the original posters side. I think!

Ed
Ed - I'm thinking that shaming the OP is a wee bit harsh. The man is simply asking for advice AFTER the fact....

cnkinthebus - I wouldn't like my wheels damaged by someone I employ, and I think we all have a right to certain expectations in conducting our business. I think you did fine alerting them about your concerns right up front, they just did it carelessly. I would look to small claims court if no other resolution in forthcoming. Good luck.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
As I read the Advantage program, there is a STRONG suggestion that you walk around the coach, and verify any existing damage, just to prevent this sort of thing.
I am going to have 6 new installed in a couple weeks, intend NOW, dur to your experience, take the photos, and, do a detailed walk around, and get the no damage declaration in writing before they start the installation.
Keep after them, insistent but reasonable civilized pressure will no doubt yield results.
Keep us informed...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I like the "take a picture" idea...think I'll do that when it comes time for tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I like the "take a picture" idea...think I'll do that when it comes time for tires.
Ditto. I've never had new tires put on my rig but I don't "think" I would have thought to take pictures either. But, thanks to your post I will now.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Agreed, please let us know, we will all go through this stuff, one way or another....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #12

it is a pitty that people have little or no pride in thier work. i run my own auto repair business and treat my customers cars as if they were mine, and i take excellent care of everything i own. just had new tires put on my motorhome, don't do tires at my shop, had just buffed all the wheels the weekend before and asked them to please keep them clean. every wheel had goo, grease and fingerprints on them when i picked it up. pointed this out to the manager and made sure he knew i wouldn't be coming back for my next set...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
You can also report any business to the state Attorney General's office for assistance with your problems.

The Better Business Bureau is another watchdog to assist you.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't think to take pictures, but did walk around the coach with the installers and manager when asking them to take extra care. Also informed them there were NO scratches, mars, gouges or dings and wanted to keep it that way ( I felt this was as close to my "due diligence" as possible). By informing them there were no marks on my wheels, I thought, would put them on notice that I was aware of the condition of the wheels. Not sure I would take any legal action, but should know tomorrow how they intend to handle this. They are clear coated. I have had several trucks with same style wheels and understand that once cut with a machine buffer, the clear coat is done, but also know that some of the scratches and gouges are to deep for buffing.
Again, thanks.
Chuck
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote