Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Commercial Member

How would you rate the quality of Tiffin and Newmar?

So how would you rate the quality of build and customer service of the two big names in the Class A world? Any experiences you care to share with us?

How about comparing them to one another? Do you have a favorite and if so, why?

Also, how about comparing them to the rest of the Class A manufacturers? Are they really a cut above the rest like so many say? If so, why?

I'm doing research on the Class A market and I would love to hear what you think.
dl1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1035 View Post
So how would you rate the quality of build and customer service of the two big names in the Class A world? Any experiences you care to share with us?

Also, how about comparing them to the rest of the Class A manufacturers? Are they really a cut above the rest like so many say? If so, why?

I'm doing research on the Class A market and I would love to hear what you think.

OK, who are the "Two big names in the Class A world"?????

No idea where this is going....................
Old 11-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #3

From my experience, they are both pretty close. We are more than pleased with our 2013 Allegro Bus. My son had a 2016 Mountain Aire that was great. The Newmar was quieter inside during a thunderstorm and also better insulated as the AC's ran less than our Tiffin on a 90 degree day parked in the sun. My son wanted the flat floor of the 2018 MA and traded. It was a mistake. Over 45 items to correct back at the factory three times in the first year. I don't think that was indicative of Newmar quality, but just a bad job on that coach. We have had very few minor issues in eight years and 80,000 miles. I have a great dealer 40 miles from our WI home. If we were to look for a new coach, I would include Newmar but the closest dealer is 300 miles away. Newmar promotes their Comfort Drive, however, my Bus on a Powerglide chassis is two fingers 90% of the time up. 500 mile days are the norm when we travel. Find the floor plan you like in either brand and you will be happy.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We’ve had out 2016 Tiffin for 13 months and 12,000 miles now. We love it. Overall quality is great, and miles and smiles above our previous Thor.

Newmar interiors and floor plans didn’t appeal to us, but I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either.

There has been some noise about recent quality issues with both. They seem to be true, but they are affecting pretty much all brands equally so Tiffin & Newmar are still at the top. Also, a lot of the current issues are component related (3rd party) and not in the manufacturers direct control. Component consolidation under Lippert and others, combined with massive labor issues in Elkhart are causing a precipitous drop in quality impacting everyone equally.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:14 AM   #5
dp7

Newmar quality seems to be better than some RVs -- but at a premium price. However, the RV industry quality bar is pretty low & Newmar has their share of quality issues also.

Examples:

Don't expect to leave with a full fresh water tank & arrive without loosing a lot of it out the overflow.

Don't expect to drive in the rain and arrive with dry basement compartments.

Don't expect that the slide motor bolts will remain tight without you modifying the as-built condition.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:57 AM   #6

From what my friends with new coaches have experienced, you are likely to have major issues with whatever brand you buy. We are keeping our 2011 Mirada as long as we can.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #7

In 2019 we compared Tiffin and Newmar coaches. Spent several hours in each before deciding on a Tiffin Allegro RED 37BA. The Tiffin interior seemed "cleaner", came with a ceiling fan in the bedroom, a seat in the shower molded into the fiberglass, had a more usable 1/2 bath, had an option for a recliner where the same comparable Newmar model did not, and my wife just felt more comfortable in the Tiffin. I think we could have been satisfied either way but I gave her the final pick (I steered her to the ones I thought would be serve our needs after about 4 years of research).

Our Tiffin has had some minor problems, but we are thankful no major issues. After 23 months of ownership (we ordered a 2020, picked it up in December 2019) we are very happy and consider it our second home. Tiffin customer service has been outstanding, any issue that I have had has been addressed by Tiffin, even one that was out of warranty but they took care of it at no cost. The "after hours" vendors in Red Bay are an added bonus. We were there a few weeks ago, had appointments scheduled, and in two business days we accomplished everything. Red Bay is so good that there were Newmars, Entegras, and Winnabego's in town assuming to use the after hours vendors.

I am so satisfied with my Tiffin ownership experience that most likely when we are ready for a new coach in 8-10 years we will not look at anything else.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #8

Doesn't Newmar have Comfort Drive. I've heard some good things about that. Might tick a pro in Newmar column .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Perhaps we got a unicorn, but seven months and 5000 miles into ownership of our ‘21 Dutch Star, I’m really scrambling to come up with a reason to go back to Nappanee (or anywhere) for warranty work. There is simply nothing wrong with it that requires attention. We paid for factory pickup, and our tech did an awesome job of getting it ready for delivery.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's only natural for people to prefer the one they bought over the competition. Obviously there was something(s) you liked better about what you bought. We looked at both for years. One would add a component like the side facades that cover the roof top A/C units and equipment and then a year later the other would add them. Tiffin came out with them first in this instance.

Our friends have a 2019 40' Allegro Bus. It has several features that I would like to have, including three A/C units (Newmar won't put three on a Dutch Star) and a larger generator for the third A/C. It has the Spyder system for controlling all the lighting and systems, something Newmar didn't add until later. They also made a 150 gallon fuel tank fit where mine only has 100 gallons. I like the quality of the Tiffin bay doors and front door (how they close) better than my Newmar.

With that said, we were looking for certain things. Most importantly, I wanted a tag axle and Newmar was the only company that offers one in a 40' model. Another huge consideration was there were no Tiffin dealers near us, but a Newmar dealer about a mile away. Once we owned the coach, we found several things I liked and didn't realize they would be important to me at time of purchase. The biggest thing was Comfort Drive, making driving the coach all day a joy. Some of the others, all tile flooring, no carpet on the slides, bathroom fire escape door, and the coach insulation. We can't hear it when it's raining or someone is making a racket outside. Our friends interior woodwork is beautiful, but no different than ours. In 2010 or 2011, we looked at new Newmars and though the interiors were butt ugly, but they completely changed around 2013 or so.

Lastly, I could almost make up a list with about the same number of items that I like on the Allegro Bus versus the Newmar and the other way around. When we bought our Dutch Star, Newmar was allowing more modifications to their production coaches than any other brand. We designed our own exterior colors from hundreds of colors that are available. We changed cabinet configurations and door designs. We also added electrical and deleted items we thought were useless to us. I believe now that Tiffin, is allowing more design changes.

So buy either one, just way the options that are more important to YOU, as the coaches are pretty similar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
When we were looking a few years ago at both , and also entegra we found the construction much different. Newmar ( and entegra) use a hung wall. Studs glued batt insulation with glued on heavy fiberglass sides. Tiffin used a high pressure pressed “sandwich” walls and oddly no insulation in the front our rear caps. The tiffin construction floor was cluttered and messy and both Entegra and Newmar were much cleaner assembly floors with waste being swept and picked up. We decided not to trade up at the time but I liked the construction of the hung wall much better and it’s much quieter I’m told. We would have been happy either way probably. At the time we felt the Entegra ( not on your list ) was a better value. My DW and I had a preference on build as Newmar Entegra Tiffin , in that order.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We are on our second Newmar. Our best friends have a Tiffin. Both are good coaches.

If I was trading today; Comfort Drive would be my personal #1 upgrade. It’s offered by Newmar.

We’ve had our older coach to the factory twice. Newmar still works on coaches older than 10 years, Tiffin does not.

Our friends take their coach to Red Bay (after hours shops) every year. It is in great condition.

I like the Newmar hung wall insulation in cold windy weather, better than the Tiffin.

Our coach is built on a Spartan chassis, their Tiffin is built by Tiffin. I like Spartan.

I favor Newmar, but if I found a really good deal on a cherry Tiffin, I would jump on it.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #13
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
When we were looking a few years ago at both , and also entegra we found the construction much different. Newmar ( and entegra) use a hung wall. Studs glued batt insulation with glued on heavy fiberglass sides. Tiffin used a high pressure pressed “sandwich” walls and oddly no insulation in the front our rear caps. The tiffin construction floor was cluttered and messy and both Entegra and Newmar were much cleaner assembly floors with waste being swept and picked up. We decided not to trade up at the time but I liked the construction of the hung wall much better and it’s much quieter I’m told. We would have been happy either way probably. At the time we felt the Entegra ( not on your list ) was a better value. My DW and I had a preference on build as Newmar Entegra Tiffin , in that order.

2X on the hung wall/stud construction of the Newmar and Entegra DPs. When shopping, the only two companies who would post their insulation R values.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1035 View Post

A lot depends on the year and model. Never rely on what you or someone else had last and for then picking something different with that company.
These manufactures and companies change hands at will and without warning, along with their CEO's, policies and quality of workmanship. Even the age old family owned Tiffen has now sold out to Thor and with a company that has most always had a poor reputation for quality. Thing is, they also own Jayco now, which is turn owns Entegra. Some will say that Entegra is now destined to go down the tubes along with what ever else Thor owns, but I'd like to think not and so they might have a diversified lineup.
They must be doing something right starting with Damon and for being able to take over so many other companies. Well, doing it right for making money and not necessarily right for top quality products.
They like others, give the public what they want the most of and it seems that what they mostly want in their coaches are large TV's with a fireplace under it and with most not being able to see much past that.
With all that said, I would probably go with a top of the line Newmar with a side radiator if the right floor plan were available.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, quality, tiffin