Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by univmd View Post
The MVA can be very frustrating, most people who work there have no idea about this RV license test. Some asked if I was a school bus driver or fire truck driver.
Oh man, that's exactly what they said when I asked them about the process to get a Non-Commercial Class B license.

Thanks for the offer to help. I'll DM you shortly.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa&susu View Post
You are correct no cdl. Commercial drivers license Must have medical endorsement

Ok now
A NCL license is required
Non commercial license
No medical

Ncdl. A. And B

26000plus one pound

Must have one or the other

A let’s you tow over 10000lb
B up to 10000 lb

I have ncdl class b

Ncdmv can help you sort it out
Are you 100% sure? I will have to look into that when the time comes. I know several guys with enclosed car trailers with living quarters that had their trailers re titled as RV instead of trailers to keep from having to adhere to DMV rule.
Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff206 View Post
Are you 100% sure? I will have to look into that when the time comes. I know several guys with enclosed car trailers with living quarters that had their trailers re titled as RV instead of trailers to keep from having to adhere to DMV rule.

The class of license required is determined by the combined weight of the vehicle, its cargo & accessories and any towed trailer & contents.

Some states do not require a B or A class license for RVs, but *most* do, when the combined weight exceeds 26,000 lbs. The state of residence of the drivers you refer to may be one of the exceptions.

The difference between a CDL A or B, and non-CDL licenses of the same class are mostly related to hours of service (no restrictions, usually) and that you cannot haul hazardous materials, and that you cannot drive for "commerce" meaning you can't be hauling other peoples property, or receive compensation for driving, or using the vehicle to the furtherance of commerce (like selling crafts full time at fairs and carnivals, for example). Getting a CDL also requires a USDOT driver health evaluation every 2 years or less (based on the doctor's evaluation).

Again, the requirements for a Class A or B license is based on the placarded weight capacity of the vehicle; the commercial aspect determines if you need a CDL or regular A or B license - and those requirements are set by the state that one resides in for the purpose of having a DL.

Bad info dies hard...
Old 10-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa&susu View Post
You are correct no cdl. Commercial drivers license Must have medical endorsement

Ok now
A NCL license is required
Non commercial license
No medical

Ncdl. A. And B

26000plus one pound

Must have one or the other

A let’s you tow over 10000lb
B up to 10000 lb

I have ncdl class b

Ncdmv can help you sort it out
I agree with the above except that not all DMV folks can sort it out for you. The CDL manual is a little vague on the question in my opinion as well. However, if you read the laws, Papa&susu is correct. Please look at the NCDMV CDL Handbook, Section 1.8 Exemptions. I have attached a page from the manual for your review.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from handbooks_CDLmanual.pdf (121.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #19

Got a So Dakota liscense. No special requirements except for my motorcycle endorsement.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #20

I think the CDL & Class A are being mixed up. A CDL is for Commercial truck driving, Class A is for driving & towing a larger than normal vehicle such as motor homes. Class of DL will be based on length, size and weight of vehicle you will be driving. So you can have a class B CDL or a Class B drivers License and same goes for Class A CDL or Class A license. Primary difference would be are you getting paid to drive vehicle or is it a private not for hire vehicle that would determine CDL or none CDL. But you would still legally be required to posses proper Class license for vehicle being driven. Hope this helps. I know not all the states are the same, but it is better to have correct license than to get harassed or ticketed. Plus you should have the proper training when driving these larger vehicles. I dont want you putting my wife's or my life at stake because you were unaware of how to handle your vehicle.
skelly65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly65 View Post
I dont want you putting my wife's or my life at stake because you were unaware of how to handle your vehicle.
+1 on that
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Got a So Dakota liscense. No special requirements except for my motorcycle endorsement.

Exactly..I plan on changing to SD domicile and changing my license to there...no noncommercial license class as far as Ive been able to determine (as says in their cdl manual preface) I do have a MC endorsement but thats not a problem as they carry that over
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #23

In Arizona no special licensing is required for any size RV by state law. I work for an RV dealer who requires a Class B CDL. I got the learner's permit by passing the 50 question general written test and the 25 question written air brake test. I also had to submit an original SSAN card and have a DOT approved medical exam completed.

When it came time to get the actual CDL, I went to a truck driving school and spent 4 hours and $360. When I was done I had a CDL. I used their 30' box truck with a six speed for the test. I did a pre-trip inspection of the entire truck and a special air brake test prior to the driving test.

Over all it wasn't too difficult but knowing all the steps to test the air brakes required some memorization. A Non CDL is similar but not as detailed as a CDL
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
The class of license required is determined by the combined weight of the vehicle, its cargo & accessories and any towed trailer & contents.

Some states do not require a B or A class license for RVs, but *most* do, when the combined weight exceeds 26,000 lbs. The state of residence of the drivers you refer to may be one of the exceptions.

The difference between a CDL A or B, and non-CDL licenses of the same class are mostly related to hours of service (no restrictions, usually) and that you cannot haul hazardous materials, and that you cannot drive for "commerce" meaning you can't be hauling other peoples property, or receive compensation for driving, or using the vehicle to the furtherance of commerce (like selling crafts full time at fairs and carnivals, for example). Getting a CDL also requires a USDOT driver health evaluation every 2 years or less (based on the doctor's evaluation).

Again, the requirements for a Class A or B license is based on the placarded weight capacity of the vehicle; the commercial aspect determines if you need a CDL or regular A or B license - and those requirements are set by the state that one resides in for the purpose of having a DL.

Bad info dies hard...
I realized the difference in classes etc. I was however under the impression/knowledge that RV were exempt from this. I imagine finding a DMV office that has a clue will be fun. Never could answer my questions on towing large boats or equipment trailers. Thanks for everybodies info.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
I agree with the above except that not all DMV folks can sort it out for you. The CDL manual is a little vague on the question in my opinion as well. However, if you read the laws, Papa&susu is correct. Please look at the NCDMV CDL Handbook, Section 1.8 Exemptions. I have attached a page from the manual for your review.

I read that. Looks like a fuzzy area as well. I am sure finding a DMV office that can figure it out will be a blast, LOL Thanks for the info
Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly65 View Post
I think the CDL & Class A are being mixed up. A CDL is for Commercial truck driving, Class A is for driving & towing a larger than normal vehicle such as motor homes. Class of DL will be based on length, size and weight of vehicle you will be driving. So you can have a class B CDL or a Class B drivers License and same goes for Class A CDL or Class A license. Primary difference would be are you getting paid to drive vehicle or is it a private not for hire vehicle that would determine CDL or none CDL. But you would still legally be required to posses proper Class license for vehicle being driven. Hope this helps. I know not all the states are the same, but it is better to have correct license than to get harassed or ticketed. Plus you should have the proper training when driving these larger vehicles. I dont want you putting my wife's or my life at stake because you were unaware of how to handle your vehicle.

Thanks for the info. I agree but no book can make someone capable. I see Licensed truck drivers everyday that have NO business driving a truck, but they passed the test.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What size MH are you considering - by GVWR?

According to MD DMV if vehicles is less than 26,001 lbs you don't need anything but your basic car license. If 26,001 or higher you need a Non CDL license based on weight of vehicle. The written test is not focused on RVs but rather trucks so you need to get the Non CDL study guide from DMV and study it all. Check internet for online sample tests - MO offers some good ones to build your comfort level.

Learner's permit is valid for 12 months. When you go to test, take the computer test and take the practice test before taking the real one. If your miss a question the computer gives you the correct answer for future reference.

After you get the learner's permit start test driving MH you are considering. If dealer won't let your TD then check others. If you have friends with MH in your weight category, ask them to take you out for a drive - I paid all expenses for my test drive and only needed one but I've driven MH and pulled TT since '78

Relax and enjoy the process -
Good Luck - Richard
Old 10-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #28

I drove a school bus in college (late 60s) and had to have a special license to do so. I kept the license for driving the church bus and the trucks on the farm.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote