Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2023, 04:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hughes Watchdog E1 error in class A resorts

E1 error L1 91V L2 125V

We just checked into a nice class A RV resort as we do occasionally when all other options are full. It is Saturday afternoon and raining. When plugging in my Hughes Watchdog surge protector. I get an E1 error and the “red dog’ caution. The Watchdog app as pictured shows there is 90V leg 1 & 125V leg 2. It seems to be why this will not connect. I called the office and they said this is a common problem and to not use the surge protector here. Looking around, most cords are plugged in directly to the pedestal.
We had this problem once before again in a very nice resort and we were told there not to use the surge protector and all was good for 2 weeks there. I understand the reason for the surge protector, but don't understand why I get this particular error.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Normally in typical KOA and all other parks
I always use the Watchdog surge protector, generally without a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230318_153853_Power Watchdog EPO (002).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	388436  
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 04:07 PM   #2

Pretty simple one leg is at 90v which is way out of spec, so all of your circuits on that leg will only be getting 90v which is not great. Some things will be fine like electronics with switching power supplies, other things it won't be good like air conditioners as the low voltage will cause them to draw more amps than designed.

It's telling you there is an issue and not allowing connection, you can ignore and roll the dice up to you. An autoformer could boost, pulling more amps on the 90v leg to boost it up so the appliances don't do it instead.

Its the resorts problem but sounds like they don't care, unless something is wrong with your watchdog and its actually not 90v on that leg.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #3

Is this the EPO version?

Introducing the World’s First Advanced “Smart” RV Surge Protector with Emergency Power Off (EPO).
Our new 50 amp Power Watchdog Smart Surge Protector offers 6,100 Joules of advanced surge protection for your coach. It features advanced circuit analysis to shut off power in an emergency* and includes our patented Bluetooth connectivity so you can monitor live park power conditions on your smartphone using our free mobile app.

* Unit automatically shuts down power if voltage drops below 104 or above 132 volts. Once power conditions are stable for at least 90 seconds, the unit will turn back on automatically.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:55 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would want the campground electrician to come out to your site and show you that there is 120 volts on both legs of the power supply. They can do that with a voltmeter.

I know that it's not optimal on a 50-amp coach, but you could just plug into the 30-amp outlet in the shore power box, if their power is bad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:09 PM   #5

Don has good point above As long as 30 amp outlet isn't on the low voltage side of split phase. Our camping club had lower voltage for a while. The power company came out and increased size and new transformers free of charge. It's pay per day for power unless metered permanent sight. The total bill and metered sites must be huge. Eventually power co. Added more power and more locally placed transformers. Some of which on the club's dime.
Seems as the CW doesn't care if you hurt you ACs ect. Doesn't want to pay to alleviate the issue or possibly ignorant to fact it might also be on power company equiptment.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:21 PM   #6

Electric motors hate low voltage. Don’t use the low side of that 50 amp.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:33 PM   #7

Trust your Watchdog!

Voltage below 108VAC can damage induction motors.

Nice Class A RV 'Resort'........shouldn't have low voltage
As suggested.... CG Electrician verify voltage on both legs of that 50A receptacle
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:46 PM   #8

If its a common problem, don't waste any time calling the office or getting their electrician out to your site.

Run without the protection or leave the campground.

You could try a 30 amp outlet, with an adaptor, if they have one. The leg that the adaptor connects to may be the good one with the higher voltage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:59 PM   #9

Had a similar problem once and it did not end so well. One time I had a fire break out on a 50 amp boat. Insurance company hired a fire inspector to determine the cause. He filed a report saying that at least one ledge of the power pedestal 50 amp plug dropped voltage which caused a spike in amps. A large block heater did not like this which caused then power source to heat and flame up. It was an expensive fix.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:08 PM   #10

What's the point of buying a warning device then ignore it?

I would tell the office my displeasure and demand a reduced rate since not receiving the advertised product.

Regardless what they say a blunt review on various online site would follow as well.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
Had a similar problem once and it did not end so well. One time I had a fire break out on a 50 amp boat. Insurance company hired a fire inspector to determine the cause. He filed a report saying that at least one ledge of the power pedestal 50 amp plug dropped voltage which caused a spike in amps. A large block heater did not like this which caused then power source to heat and flame up. It was an expensive fix.
Low voltage only increases amp in electric motors.
It does not increase amps in resistive block heaters, they just don't get as hot.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:17 PM   #12

I had this happen twice, both time using a 30 AMP adapter worked fine on the watchdog. I also had an electrician come out to check the pedestal it had no ground wire connected and the electrician said this happens all the time because they hooked up many of the pedestals without a ground, he added a ground wire and it worked fine....btw this was Monte Vista Resort in Mesa.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:21 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat
Low voltage only increases amp in electric motors.

It does not increase amps in resistive block heaters, they just don't get as hot.

Yup. It would be like running a heater on Low.

The damage caused by low voltage primarily is an increase in the heat created by and dissipated by the motor. So it's a cumulative damage and not an instantaneous failure unless the voltage is very, very low. That's why people will say they ran on low voltage and nothing failed so they don't use an EMS type of protection.

It's kind of interesting how the EMS vendors trumpeting that low voltage causes a higher current draw on air conditioners got misunderstood by people as low voltage always increases amps. If that was true there could be no such thing as a light dimmer. And an almost dead battery could power the world.

Ray
Old 03-18-2023, 11:08 PM   #14

I would report it to the office and request they fix it right away. If not, then they are not providing what they offered. If they offer a rebate and it is acceptable to you, then take it. If not, demand a refund and move on. You can even refute charges with your credit card. Do what is right for you. I would also suggest that if the CG/resort does not make it right, post their name.
AllegroD is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, dog