Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HWH 325 series "big problems" Help

I got myself in a big mess and hope someone has some answers to help me get through this. I have a HWH 325A series leveling system. 3 slides.

I have a 2005 Itasca (gas) and when I showed up to the campground all but 1 of my levelers wouldn't go down. I went through the grounds and cleaned those all up checked the fuses in the control panel and 3 of 4 were blown. I replaced them (15A) and they blew when I hit the panel to go down. I asked a guy who knows a lot about the HWH systems and he said try 20 amp fuses. Shzam they all went down. But when I hit the store button all hell broke loose, the control panel (by the fuses) started smoking and now I'm screwed. Maybe the panel can be repaired? But I still don't have any idea whats going on. I called HWH and they will get back to me in 1-1/2 weeks. I didn't want to do anymore until I asked someone. Are my slide-outs all connected to the leveling system too?

I am very mechanically inclined but am on a budget that leaves me wondering how much is this going to cost, can I buy salvaged parts if possible?
But I still don't have a clue what the problem is?
Jeff & Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #2

Call AZ Pete at 602-549-3638. He is VERY knowlegeable on these HWH systems. He works for HWH, but he also boondocks at Holiday Inn Express so his vast wealth of knowledge came for free.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My buddy called him for me today and left him a message. I will try him tomorrow.
The whole thing makes me sick. It's hard to have fun knowing I have this problem and there's nothing I can do about it. Thanks for your reply..
Jeff & Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:08 AM   #4

This thread may help:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/hwh-3...ve-286533.html

It mentions a used parts source.

Leveling System Controllers RV Components | Visone RV RV Parts | visonerv.com

If you enter "HWH 325" in the search box above, you should get several threads about your system that may help.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Jeff & Laurie, Another source I have used is Chuck Stuart at 1-574-262-0225. He is a wealth of knowledge and has walked me through trouble shooting HWH problems. I have solved my problems with his help. He also provides parts. He has been very responsive, Good Luck.

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #6

Your first problem, jacks not going down, was bad solenoids. The fuses blowing confirms that. Do a search here (there's many threads) and reach your own conclusions as to why they give out.

Upping the fuses to 20 amps was a bad thing to do, and you learned why.

AZPete (Paul) is probably your best shot at figuring out what to do now.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Workhorse chassis fusing information.
The fluid level of HWH jack system reservoir is at correct level and 45 amp fuse holder on solenoid of tank for pump is not all corroded?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped other on this forum and I am sure he can help you
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I agree on contacting AzPete of this forum. He helped me in the past with our HWH jack problem.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #10

HWH 325 Series Leveling System Concerns / Challenges.

I am a full time Rver, living in a 2004 Winnebago 38G Adventurer with 56500 miles. I bought this coach used in 2015 and am very pleased with this coach with the exception of the Hydraulic Leveling system. Both the the oringal owner and I have had issues with the HWH system and issues continue.
The complete assembly is mounted perpendicular in the front center of the motor home with the hydraulic motor, pump, reservoir mounted to and in a 1” pan / tray with the Control Box monuted parall to the coach. When it rains the pan fills up with water, putting the pump motor, pump relay and wiring sitting in water; and when driving in the rain or on those windy rainy days, moisture / condensation builds up on the inside of the plexiglass that protects the Control Box electricial components. The complete systems is exposed to all kinds of driving / weather conditions including debrie hiting the front of the coach. As a result, the reservoir, pump motor, and pump relay corroded, shorting out both the pump motor and pump relay. Needless to say I had to replace all these components costing $276.62 for a pump motor and pump relay.
After replacing these components the system worked for 2 seconds and then stopped working. After talking with HWH and Stuart Services, reading every articial I could find on line, it was determined that the pump itself was bad.
I removed the complete pump assembly and the pump from the reservoir and found A small ball bearing had come off the pump and was inside the reservoir.
I called Stuart Service explained what I found and was sent a new reservoir with pump, motor, and relay attached costing $430.49. I installed the components and everything worked.
Let me say that I am not a expert on these systems however I spent 24 years in the Air Force as a aircraft mechanic troublshooting/working Electrical, Hydraulic, and Pneumatic systems on several different aircraft and equipment. I have both the HWH 325 service Operator's and Service manuals plus contact information with HWH experts and Stuart Service experts. I have darn good trouble shooting skills; I can read, follow, and understand wiring and hydraulic schematics.
I spent October in Mena Arkanasa and everything worked. Slides went in and out; All 4 jacks went up and down. I departed Arkanasa October 29th and headed to Virginia. I drove though rain for two days and when I arrived Virginia the leveling jacks stopped working. The jacks went down and then immediately retacted and would not stay down. However the all three slides function probably.
I started trouble shooting and found:
1. The Right Front solenoid, White wire pulled out of solenoid.
2. The touch panel wire 6120 has Constance 12 V power. 3.
3. Right Rear solenoid has Constance 12 V power.
4. Control Panel LED lights not turning on with the corresponding UP ARROWS

I accomplished all the troublshooting steps and it appears the Control Panel should be replaced.

A few days later I was talking with a friend who owns a Winnebago with the same system. I explained what was happening with the HWH system on my coach and he stated he had issues with the HWH system on his coach over the years so we started troublshooting again.

And now the JACKS wil not go down. Pump motor runs and all three slide work normal.

HWH System issues on this coach history:
1. 12/14/15-Replaced Right Rear Solenoid $237.51
2. 8/23/17-Replaced 12 Pump/motor, relay, Reservior $430.49
3. 8/11/17-Replaced 12 pump motor and relay $276.62
4. 5/13/14-Replaced Left Front solenoid $194.88
5. 6/24/14 Replaced both front solenoid; and Main Control $1289.57

Several Questions. Is there a design problem HWH system on this 2004 Adventurer coach?
Should all four solenoids be replaced?
Should all four check values be replaced?
Should the Shuttle valve be replaced?
Should the 50LB pressure switch be replaced

I have contacted HWH and Good Sam extended insurance plan and am going to send all parts to HWH to be checked.

Can this system be replaced with another system?

Any and all advice / recommendation welcome. Thank you

Riding4theSon.

Brad
love2ride4hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2ride4hi View Post
HWH 325 Series Leveling System Concerns / Challenges.

I am a full time Rver, living in a 2004 Winnebago 38G Adventurer with 56500 miles. I bought this coach used in 2015 and am very pleased with this coach with the exception of the Hydraulic Leveling system. Both the the oringal owner and I have had issues with the HWH system and issues continue.
The complete assembly is mounted perpendicular in the front center of the motor home with the hydraulic motor, pump, reservoir mounted to and in a 1” pan / tray with the Control Box monuted parall to the coach. When it rains the pan fills up with water, putting the pump motor, pump relay and wiring sitting in water; and when driving in the rain or on those windy rainy days, moisture / condensation builds up on the inside of the plexiglass that protects the Control Box electricial components. The complete systems is exposed to all kinds of driving / weather conditions including debrie hiting the front of the coach. As a result, the reservoir, pump motor, and pump relay corroded, shorting out both the pump motor and pump relay. Needless to say I had to replace all these components costing $276.62 for a pump motor and pump relay.
After replacing these components the system worked for 2 seconds and then stopped working. After talking with HWH and Stuart Services, reading every articial I could find on line, it was determined that the pump itself was bad.
I removed the complete pump assembly and the pump from the reservoir and found A small ball bearing had come off the pump and was inside the reservoir.
I called Stuart Service explained what I found and was sent a new reservoir with pump, motor, and relay attached costing $430.49. I installed the components and everything worked.
Let me say that I am not a expert on these systems however I spent 24 years in the Air Force as a aircraft mechanic troublshooting/working Electrical, Hydraulic, and Pneumatic systems on several different aircraft and equipment. I have both the HWH 325 service Operator's and Service manuals plus contact information with HWH experts and Stuart Service experts. I have darn good trouble shooting skills; I can read, follow, and understand wiring and hydraulic schematics.
I spent October in Mena Arkanasa and everything worked. Slides went in and out; All 4 jacks went up and down. I departed Arkanasa October 29th and headed to Virginia. I drove though rain for two days and when I arrived Virginia the leveling jacks stopped working. The jacks went down and then immediately retacted and would not stay down. However the all three slides function probably.
I started trouble shooting and found:
1. The Right Front solenoid, White wire pulled out of solenoid.
2. The touch panel wire 6120 has Constance 12 V power. 3.
3. Right Rear solenoid has Constance 12 V power.
4. Control Panel LED lights not turning on with the corresponding UP ARROWS

I accomplished all the troublshooting steps and it appears the Control Panel should be replaced.

A few days later I was talking with a friend who owns a Winnebago with the same system. I explained what was happening with the HWH system on my coach and he stated he had issues with the HWH system on his coach over the years so we started troublshooting again.

And now the JACKS wil not go down. Pump motor runs and all three slide work normal.

HWH System issues on this coach history:
1. 12/14/15-Replaced Right Rear Solenoid $237.51
2. 8/23/17-Replaced 12 Pump/motor, relay, Reservior $430.49
3. 8/11/17-Replaced 12 pump motor and relay $276.62
4. 5/13/14-Replaced Left Front solenoid $194.88
5. 6/24/14 Replaced both front solenoid; and Main Control $1289.57

Several Questions. Is there a design problem HWH system on this 2004 Adventurer coach?
Should all four solenoids be replaced?
Should all four check values be replaced?
Should the Shuttle valve be replaced?
Should the 50LB pressure switch be replaced

I have contacted HWH and Good Sam extended insurance plan and am going to send all parts to HWH to be checked.

Can this system be replaced with another system?

Any and all advice / recommendation welcome. Thank you

Riding4theSon.

Brad
I had this system on a 2002 Winnebago Journey and had few issues with it. Owned the coach for 8 years and had to replace one leaking jack, pump motor replaced under warranty, replaced one slide room extend solenoid, and replaced leaking long hose from pump to rear slide room.

My current rig has an HWH air leveling system and three HWH hydraulic slides with only two issues in 10 years. Replaced one slide room extend solenoid and one leaking valve in the air leveling system.

Overall, HWH systems are pretty reliable. If I was in your situation, I would seriously consider taking the coach to either Stuart Services in Elkhart or to HWH in Moscow, IA. Either of them would be your best bet to get the system fixed and working well.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
Commercial Member

brad, please call me. i can help. i do work for hwh, i do not solicit service work or sell parts direct on this forum. i do help with diagnostics.
it appears that is where the problem lies. finding the base cause of a problem is sometimes overlooked. we repair the symptom, which is the burned out solenoid, but the cause of that is a cylinder not fully retracting.
any of the push button systems had a feature that causes the control box to hold that solenoid open until the cylinder fully retracts.
most of the times, new springs will not help a cylinder to retract. yes, if you have the old style springs it may help. but there are hundreds of old springs out there that still work fine.
what im trying to say, is that i can help you solve this and other problems with your hwh system. there are many systems out there that are much older that still work fine. let me help you.
paul maddox
email is pfmaddox@att.net
phone is 1-602-549-3638
its on all the time, nights, weekends, anytime. if i dont answer, leave me message.
i will call back as soon as i can. im in an area now that does not get good phone reception, so email me, i have internet service.
i work for hwh, i do not solicit service work appointments, ever, or sell parts direct on this forum. im attempting to avoid being a troll, at the same time offering to help as much as i can.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #13

I wished that the OP had reported back on how this got resolved. I hate it when you read something like this—and follow it—and then no posting of the resolution.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the same problem... not all the ones you had. My jacks wouldn’t go down. Replaced the shuttle valve and that did it. Sorry you have had so many issues!

Tags
ems, hwh, problems