Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #1

HWH Hydraulic Jack Question

2019 Newmar LA. HWH leveling system. My passenger side rear hydraulic jack has been retracting extremely slowly for a couple of months. It deploys normally and there is no leak down while deployed. It just takes 2 to 3 minutes longer than the other jacks to fully retract. I've gone through the cleaning process, but it doesn't make any difference.

I was assuming either a bad spring, or the solenoid controlling that jack wasn't fully opening.

I took in in to have it looked at and they are saying the jack is bad and needs to be replaced, which doesn't make sense based on my limited understanding.

Thoughts?
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Don't know where you took it in but I would contact AZ Pete... Paul Maddox and he will help with troubleshooting.

"my number is 602 549 3638

paul maddox

i work for hwh corp. i do not solicit part sales or service work on this forum."
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #3

I would try replacing spring, or add a second one to speed up return. Has anyone added fluid lately, may be over filled.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #4

We had the same problem a couple of years ago. Our jacks had the "new improved" springs, so Tiffin troubleshooting said change the jack cylinder. Yep, worked fine since then. BTW, I took the bad cylinder from Tiffin and had my local hydraulic shop repair it. Cost was about 1/3 of what Tiffin charged me, and doing the change out would have been a simple do-it-yourself effort. Last new one I'll ever buy.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

Sounds like the shop is happy to take people to the cleaners.

Check your springs, they weaken with age especially if you spend months in hot climates with the jacks extended. HWH installed weak jack springs years ago, and came out a couple years later with an improved, stronger version. Here's the pics of the old and new. The old style have flat ends, whereas the new style have tapered ends:

And then the new ones:

Not sure this would apply to a 2019 HWH system but you never know and lurkers might need the info. Doesn't take up much digital real estate to post the pics either.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #6

BTW, the shop I'm using has a solid reputation and I've used them in the past with good results.

I spoke with the tech and he is going to call HWH confirm.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I would try replacing spring, or add a second one to speed up return. Has anyone added fluid lately, may be over filled.
Fluids are good and it has two springs already. Both appear to be in good shape, but i understand that one or both could still be shot.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #8

Did some more research and had a call with HWH tech support. It sounds like the problem may indeed be with the jack itself.

It's only money.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #9

The problem could be with a bushing inside the jack that doesn't allow the piston to move freely as the jack gets old. Installing new heavier springs seems to help , but just take the jack to a hydraulic cylinder repair shop and they should be able to fix it and your old springs will work just fine.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #10

Hydraulic Jack HWH problems

Hi, First you need to know if itís hydraulic (unscrew the JIC oil fitting at the top of the cylinder, if the oil spill and cylinder retract normally look at the valve), or mechanic; I mean the shaft is to stiff inside the single action cylinder. If itís mechanic it is probably caused by too much friction at the bottom of cylinder; to prevent dirt to get inside a seal name scraper is install and caused to much friction. Replacing by stronger spring is similar to the ''Bucket solution'' (containing the spill instead of fixing it). To repair these HWH non serviceable cylinder (they are welded at the top) look at this link posted : 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hwh...ir-221470.html

Good luck,
M Parent
M Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #11

This is a bit of a duplication of my previous post, but it gives some more info. I also posted it below the old thread referenced.

A couple of years ago I had a rear HWH jack that would not retract fully without a bit of help when it was at the almost fully retracted position. I took it to Red Bay and they replaced the jack for around $600 if I remember correctly. I took the "bad" cylinder home and had a local hydraulic shop repair it. My shop was ESECO, the Eastern Shore Equipment Company in Camden, DE which repairs all type hydraulic equipment. They got the necessary parts from HWH and repaired my cylinder for about $180. Only problem was that getting the necessary seals and parts from HWH took them 3+ weeks. THERE WAS NO WELDING OR CUTTING OF THE CYLINDER NECESSARY. These guys have been repairing cylinders, hoses, fittings and other hydraulic "stuff" for our farm equipment for a number of years. If these folks could do it, any competent hydraulic shop should be able to do the job. Even though I am a expert mechanic, I would not attempt this job. Just not my skill area.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, hydraulic