Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HWH Jacks and temperature.

My HWH jacks act much differently with temperature changes. If the coach has been parked overnite and the temperature is in the 60's, or less, the jacks retract swiftly, the fronts in less than 30 seconds and the rears about 90 seconds. However if the weather is warmer the retraction times are much longer and sometimes need a pry to get them started back up.
If the coach has been driven the rear jacks go down just fine but the right front chatters and seems to bump when being extended. If I try to retract them to reposition the coach on a site, all of them need prying to get them to go up. I have replaced all 8 of the springs with the newer style and replaced one failed selenoid valve. The fluid level is right where it should be. I have been working my way through jack troubles since we bought this "new to us" 2004 coach a year and a half ago. Could this be a fluid problem? Can the jack cylinders and rams change size so much with temperature changes that binding occurs? I know it's hot under there after a drive, but I would think they should be able to handle that.
The rams are clean and have been wiped with a little ATF on a clean rag.
I have cleaned out the area at the bottom of the cylinder with a "Q tip".

I need help with this annoying problem.

Thanks
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bluegrasser,
You are correct, temperature plays a role in HWH jack operation. However, usually it is the opposite of the information you provided. Gut feel says the large seal at the bottom of each cylinder has begun to collapse around the piston. This can cause quite a few different problems. Many of these were mentioned by you. The only cure is to replace the jacks or have them rebuilt.

I have replaced 2 of my jacks because of the seal collapsing problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi GaryKD: Thanks for your quick response, my own 'gut feeling' was leaning the same way as yours. I guess I was hoping for a simple cheap fix, but that never seems to be the way with motorhomes. Two more questions, although I don't have much faith in "mechanic in a can" fixes, are there any seal conditioners available that might help restore the seals? If it comes down to rebuilding or replacing the jacks, is there a significant cost difference. Oops a third question, can a competent hydraulic repair shop rebuid these units or do they need to go to HWH. We live in a rural area and the farmers have hydraulics all over their equipment so I should be able to find a repair guy.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
HWH doesn't recommend wiping or spraying the rams with anything.

Seems to me I remember reading that the rams are welded and must be cut apart and rewelded but I've never had a problem with any of the three HWH systems I've owned.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

You are very very lucky. We have had our motorhome for 7 years and its always the HWH giving us grieff.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Wiping the jack struts with a clean cloth and the same fluid they operate with is a GOOD thing...a clean strut is a happy strut. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Wiping the jack struts with a clean cloth and the same fluid they operate with is a GOOD thing...a clean strut is a happy strut. Bob
Not according to HWH support when I talked to them about this very subject.
I've NEVER cleaned the rams on any of my HWH systems even though I've had the rams fully extended on the front for about 7 months straight every year for the last 8 years.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
You are very very lucky. We have had our motorhome for 7 years and its always the HWH giving us grieff.
A lot of that depends on the factory installation. What MH do you have?

Our rams are the 12,000# models and there are four of them so none of them is close to maximum. Front axle weighs 13,200, rear is about 19,100. Yes, I can and do lift the front axle off the ground if necessary to level, NEVER the rear though! Did that ONCE with our first DSDP. It went sideways almost into a telephone pole. I thought I'd bent the frame till I realized the jacks were on a pivot!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you lift the rear wheels off the ground, you've also lost your brakes.

HWH may recommend not wiping the rams, but mine did stick (as in not move without prying) until I started wiping them periodically. In my case, I use a spray silicon.

Bluegrass, my jacks work identical to yours. The speed of retraction is significantly faster in cold weather, and they slow way down the warmer it gets.

Keith
Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trainsktg: I'm glad to hear that someone else has slow or stuck jacks when the temperature rises, and that you have found a solution. I will spray the rams with WD40 and then wipe them down to clean off anything that may be on them, then apply a silicone spray. I just priced replacement jacks at $480 each. That may be the "welcome to Canada" pricing, but I think I can do a lot of experimenting for $480. Tomorrow is predicted to be in the 30 degree celcius range, so that will be a good test.

P.S. I do carry a big pry bar with me so I can get them started, but it's a bit embarrasing to be out there in the middle of big fancy rigs, prying up my jacks with a crow bar.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
For what it is worth,

I had a hydraulic cylinder replaced at the HWH facility in Elkhart Indiana. The right front jack was (and is) slow to retract but it retracts whithin what the tech at the HWH facility said was within a specified time frame. I asked about using silicone spray and he said it was ok but he also recomended using WD40 and then wiping the jack off. He also said WD40 is vegetable oil. I dunno if I believe that but I have used the silicone spray. The tech also recomended extending and retracting the jacks on a peridioc basis (when the coach is in storage) to keep the seals lubricated.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
All four of my jacks were starting to leak. The local machine and hydraulic shop resealed them all and machined new pieces for the front ones for less then the cost of new seals for one jack from the manufacturer. They charged me $75 and I did the R&R.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
A lot of that depends on the factory installation. What MH do you have?

Our rams are the 12,000# models and there are four of them so none of them is close to maximum. Front axle weighs 13,200, rear is about 19,100. Yes, I can and do lift the front axle off the ground if necessary to level, NEVER the rear though! Did that ONCE with our first DSDP. It went sideways almost into a telephone pole. I thought I'd bent the frame till I realized the jacks were on a pivot!
Mr D, we have HWH AP9517 on the front,,we have lifted ours off the ground too. And it would seem that is the one, front, giving us the most grief. Finally out of frustration, two days ago, I sprayed copious amounts of a spray called RV Spray that I got at Camperworld. I stored the jacks and they all came up nicely. I then put the jacks down again and sprayed againl, lots of it. The jacks stored properly again in 5 minutes. The coach is in a shop now and when it comes home, I am putting the jacks down again and do it all over.

It is my intention to buy new springs and install on the front of the coach and see how that goes.

We have a 2004 Kountry Star made by Newmar. This is the wifes RV as she uses it to go to dog events. The jacks are nuisance to me, but a major crises for her. If the situation isnt changed soon IM going to consider other alternatives. It spoils her weekends.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My HWH jacks also retract slowly. My solution is to start the MH, hit the store button and give them enough time to clear the ground by about 5 inches and off I go. Of course I only do this if the ground and roads are level so there is no chance of hooking a jack. By the time I am ready to exit the Park they are all stored and the lights are out.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote