Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 AM   #15

Do you hear the solenoids when you try to level - and the pump motor? If you hear the solenoids activate but no pump motor then you probably have a failed pump. I just went through that with my HWH system. Took awhile to diagnose, but the pump was ordered and I replaced it myself. Took about an hour and a half. Check to make sure you have voltage at the pump motor when activated. That will be an excellent clue of a pump motor failure.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
The current status is I am waiting for a call back from HWH. Following the diagnostic info from HWH all the lights on the control board respond the way they should. It is just that nothing happens. Also, the fluid reservoir is at the proper level.

I checked all wires coming from the control box, pump, pump relay and valves. All wires are tightly connected/plugged.

Rob,
There is no activity/sounds when a jack a extend button is pressed. I'll go see about voltage at the pump relay/motor, while I wait for the call from HWH.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
There is a module fastened to the pump motor. There are 13 VDC across the relay points when all is off. There remains 13 VDC across the relay points when a jack extension button is pressed. My assumption is the VDC should go to zero when an extension button is pressed.

All the components show no corrosion or deterioration. All connections are tight and without corrosion. Actually everything looks very clean and neat.

Still waiting for HWH call.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
The current saga is over. The jacks are now working. I got a call back from HWH. The tech asked me a few questions, which I had the answers to. He told me to replace fuse 8. I reminded him that I had already checked the fuse with a meter. And the diagnostic light pattern didn't call for that fix. He said to replace fuse 8. I did so and the jacks started working! I was bent over under the hood and when the pump started is scared me half to death.

One of the questions I was asked was, was the fuse the original fuse. The answer was yes. There was no further explanation about the fuse. The tech mentioned that it was either the fuse or the relay. The fuse was cheaper so we tried it first. I have no idea why the original fuse no longer works. I rechecked it with a meter and it is as good as new.

Thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate the responses.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #19

Congratulations on your fix. Where is fuse 8 located at?
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
TI have no idea why the original fuse no longer works. I rechecked it with a meter and it is as good as new.
Highly irregular.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom,
Fuse 8 is in the second fuse row from the top of the control board. It is the second fuse in from the right side of the board. The purpose of the fuse is to allow power to the pump relay. The documentation provided in Quick Tips (this Newmar Forum) and EngineerMike allowed me to do quite a bit of elimination before HWH called me back.

This is an example of knowledge versus skill. I have knowledge, the HWH tech has skill. I had eliminated the fuse during my testing. Based on experience he knew what was wrong.

The fuse is on my workbench. I may frame it.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #22

A fuse has a connection @ each side. My guess is if you replace the original fuse it will work, and the problem was insufficient contact in the fuse holder (dirt, corrosion, whatever) at one side. Good diagnostic piece of knowledge- if all looks OK and reads out OK, but isn't OK, pull the applicable fuse(s) & check the connections. I've had ferrule type fuses that read good but are not, but prior to this wouldn't have thought of pulling a blade (GM) type fuse as a further check. Learnt something new here today.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
So,...I'm confused (as usual). Does this mean that "testing" blade fuses w. tester does NOT confirm they are viable?? When Gary tested the fuses, all, including fuse #8, tested O.K., yet...it was fuse #8 that was the problem.....cheeeez....does this apply for ALL blade fuses throughout our coaches????? Steve
Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fuse can check out OK but what the blades plug into, the spring clips, with wires attached could be whats keeping the circuit open. Constant movement of fuse in clips will clean dirt, corrosion for better conection.
Hopefully the wires attached to clip are good connections also.
If other fuses in box may want to check them also but you can say if its not broke why fix it.

We all need to remember FUSE #8
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary,

Are you game for reinstalling the original fuse to see if it is a corrosion, etc. issue?

We used to reseat a lot of circuit packs in #1ESS, the first electronic telephone switcher.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We also would run a eraser up and down the contacts on the boards too.

Electronic business machines that is.

I have placed in annuls of Quick Tips so we'll not forget.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
007:

So.....IF such a problem IS that the "spring clips" keep the circuit open, wouldn't the the fuse tester show no continuity??.....cause if that isn't the case, then testing fuses is a futile excercise. eh?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There can enough contact to get a voltage reading, but not enough contact for sufficient current to operate the jacks.