RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #1

HWH Kickdown Leveling Jack Question

Happy Thanksgiving Week! We are grateful for a lot this year, but today, I'm especially thankful that the campground we're staying in will give us until 11/30. We took our Holiday Rambler in for service today because the front jacks would not retract completely. The tech took the control panel off and cleaned out a bunch of grit and carpet fiber. Great! The other issue - not so great! On the front curbside jack, we have a cracked leg. The RV service dept. doesn't have the replacement part and aren't even sure they can still get one. I've been studying HWH's website, but I'm not sure what the "leg" is - the tech said there are two cylinders and this "leg" connects the two. We are in MN waiting to escape for the winter. I'm wondering if we could go ahead and leave and try to get this serviced once we get down the road.
Amyleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are they able to get the jack fully retracted with tools, a jack, or some other means? If not how far is the jack down? Does the jack creep down over time?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #3

Just an opinion here, from the very limited information you have provided.

The tech said you had a cracked leg, which to me is a cylinder jack. The tech then says "it connects the two cylinders", which to me means it's a cylinder(leg) brace of some type and for an older (don't know the age) coach, it isn't available, that may be very true. If it's a brace, it likely could be removed, welded(for the cracks) and put back on.

Unfortunately, for you, you are at the mercy of whatever a service dept wants to tell you, and in some cases, the less you know, the higher the bill gets. I have witnessed a bad solenoid valve turn into a "you have a bent jack, and you need a new pump system". The service business ordered $2500 of new parts on the customers credit card and there was still installation to pay. This was on a coach I was dealing on to buy, but when the seller asked for more money, I stepped out.

If the jacks retract part way, likely the shafts need to be cleaned and lubricated, and they may need some assistance to be pressured up the last inch or two. If they are spring retract, the springs may be getting weak from age & rust.

If the crack is on a brace, get them retracted and head south, keep an eye on them for their retracted position. Once at your destination, you can do some research for a repair shop.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

Travel , with the system non operational is OK , what you need to be aware of and question the shop about ; is as mentioned all about the jack's current position . With the jack down alarm off and the jacks fully retracted ask to have the problem jack secured for travel ( wired up ) and have the main system fuse removed , to prevent accidental operation.

In the" Files " drop box , just to the right of your " User CP " look in the section " Jacks and slide outs ". For a large file on " HWH system parts " to help with system identification and part numbers for your kick down jacks.
For help finding parts ; these sites and numbers.
Welcome to HWH Corporation
1-800-321-3494
HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
Stewarts Service Center
1-800-826-6267
Old 11-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2 Stewarts Service Center

Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #6

Yes, the service tech was able to retract the jacks fully after he removed the cover to the joystick controls. He blew out a lot of dirt and carpet fibers, then lubricated. He said the dirt coated the pressure switch, so it wasn't working. The other issue is the curbside front jack, which leaks. The tech said the leg was cracked. I've since found out it's the jack cylinder.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #7

Thank you for your advice. I apologize for the vague information I provided. I called the RV service center back and the service manager did say it's a jack cylinder. They called Holiday Rambler - my rig is a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. Of course, the part is obsolete. I asked him if he could give me an old part number - no he didn't know the part number. He then said I might have to take the rig to HWH and have them rebuild the jack. Maybe on my return in the spring. The person on our forum here suggested making an appointment with HWH, which I will do, but it seems they need 2 weeks notice and we need to be out of here ASAP to avoid anymore snow.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Thanks - I reached out to Paul - he emailed back and suggested I go ahead and make an appointment with HWH. Since the jacks are now retracting properly, I think we'll go ahead and go south. We can swing back to HWH in the spring as they're on our way home. We go close to Moscow on the way back to MN.

Tags
hwh, leveling