Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

HWH Leveling Jack Springs replaced.

Not by me...didn’t want to poke my eye out. Had trouble with one slide intermittently...found a mobile RV mechanic to trouble shoot and all seems good for now (cleaned all contacts).

I have been having trouble with the right leveling jack not retracting all the way requiring the use of a shovel for leverage (some use 2x4). Occasionally, while driving, I would get “jacks down” warning...hitting “store” would eliminate.

I had purchased two sets of springs after providing HWH with vin#, intending to replace the troubling one. When I asked him how long it would take to replace the springs on the right side his answer was “not too long”. He was done in 15 minutes. So, of course I had him do the other front...15 minutes.

He used a what looked like a large screwdriver, about 2 1/2 feet long with a slightly angled tip, and another one about 1 foot long. I couldn’t see what he was doing because he was in the wheel well and I wasn’t going to crawl underneath.

I had been told it could take up to an hour for each by other shops.

Needless to say, I’m purchasing two more sets which I’ll have him install in the next few weeks when he installs my two flat screen TVs.
Just BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

I have pried them on before, but using wedges is the easier way. Extend the jacks, then place wedges in the spring spaces. The rv geeks have a good video. The explanation starts around 4:25
Old 06-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have replaced all of mine with a similar technique except that I used clothespins. Wood is best. To remove them extend them and put a clothespin on 2/3 if the coils and on both sides. Retract and the springs fall off. Use the shovel if needed. Then add clothespins to the new ones same as in the video until you can install the springs. Extend and remove clothespins. Use them over on the other spring sets. If you hang out your laundry then use your old ones and buy new for the wash line.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #4

Interesting that the old ones were curved on each end....like a hot dog...about 30 degrees up on each side. Don’t know if that means anything.
Just BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 AM   #5

Per HWH procedures: As an added measure, I would also thoroughly spray the seal area with WD-40 and gently clean it with a soft lint free cloth. I found when I bought the coach my lazy jack was caked with crud. Don't use anything that will scratch the shaft.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I'm about to replace two springs on the rear of my DP (2000 Damon Ultrasport). I've seen videos recommending shims and some just brute force them. Any stories/experience to sway me one way or another?

Thanks.
psandoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, hwh, leveling, replace