Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #1

HWH Leveling Jacks Don't return to stored position

I have a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton, When I Level the coach it does fine, when I press the store button 2 of my Jacks don't retract completely. I welcome any and all input for me to solve this problem. HWH Jacks.

Wallace Martin
270-789-8343
wallacemartin1943@gmail.com
Wall_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #2

Hmmmm.... I'm assuming they won't retract when you hit "all retract"... Will they then retract if you try it manually? If you manually extend them for a sexond or two will they they retract fully in manual? Auto? Or, will they retract all the way if you do a manual retract from the start

What you're trying to establish is whether it's the legs themselves (unlikely as there's 2 doing it) or whether the brain is confused in auto.

Aside from the fact that you need to figure out how to get them up whatever way possible so you can drive.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #3

HWH website has a very good troubleshooting procedure.
And HWH techs are very good at walking you through troubleshooting.
AZPete here on the forum is an excellent resource... some searches should turn up many related posts.
Is the system auto level or manual?
What sequence do you use if manual level?
Have you tried prying them up after / during the store process?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #4

There might be other reasons but if they return at all then the valves are probably working properly. Start with the easiest to trouble shoot and fix first which would be spring tension.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
There might be other reasons but if they return at all then the valves are probably working properly. Start with the easiest to trouble shoot and fix first which would be spring tension.
Spring tension? He has springs? (Googles HWH.....) Why yes he has. OK, and it's a 2011.... so yah, tired springs is a possibility. Putting a bar under there to help them would then indeed possibly tell more.

Still think playing around in manual is a place to start.

(My bus has no springs. Pressure down and pressure up. 2 hoses per cylinder.)
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #6

I have a couple of lazy jacks too - sometimes they retract most times they don't all the way - I carry a shovel to help them up so you can't see any shiny part and then the red lights go out.
As mentioned, you could replace the springs on the jacks (or all the jacks) - they are not expensive. If you have springs that have a flat end to the spring they should be replaced - the newer springs have tapered ends (I would think that a 2011 should already have the newer style).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:08 AM   #7

When I bought a 2004 Adventurer with 38,000 miles the jacks didn't retract without using the shovel method. Changed springs and still did not work. We did the troubleshooting route as per HWH tech help and found various problems...blown fuses, bad solenoids, and a non replacable relay in the control box. Our end result was all new jacks, all new solenoids, and a new control box. Total of $3000 with no labor. Luckily, I have a very capable brother in law. My belief is that the previous owner had never used them.
bugrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
Commercial Member

try this. put the jacks down, and spray the shaft all over with wd40. hit store, and see if they retract. if they still wont retract that last 1/2 inch or so, they need to be rebuilt.
also check the springs. i use wd40 on them as well.
wd40 is a solvent, and cleaner. it is not a lubricant. hwh recommends it to clean the shaft, and i recommend it to clean the springs as well. if you look at the springs you can see that they are often covered with road grime, and rust.
i often find a lot of road grime between the turns on the springs. wd40 helps loosen the it and shorten the spring by dissolving the grime.
anyway, it works for me.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
try this. put the jacks down, and spray the shaft all over with wd40. hit store, and see if they retract. if they still wont retract that last 1/2 inch or so, they need to be rebuilt.
also check the springs. i use wd40 on them as well.
wd40 is a solvent, and cleaner. it is not a lubricant. hwh recommends it to clean the shaft, and i recommend it to clean the springs as well. if you look at the springs you can see that they are often covered with road grime, and rust.
i often find a lot of road grime between the turns on the springs. wd40 helps loosen the it and shorten the spring by dissolving the grime.
anyway, it works for me.
paul maddox
X2 on that. Once a year or so I need to extend the jacks fully, or at least most of the way, spray liberally with WD40 but I take some paper towels to wipe off the grime. I also spray a bunch on the seal to clean that too. Hitting the ""store" button then brings them up nicely. If you want to help clean the seal take an old toothbrush to the area. Part of my annual servicing.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Extend. Clean with WD40. Do this every few months. It's a maintenance item.

The jacks do not power up. The pressure is simply released and the springs pull it up, pushing the fluid back into the resovior. Any resistance from a bit of crud build up will keep them from retracting the last half inch or so.

If need be, you can push up with a lever or similar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wall y, what does your manual say? Mine has specific troubleshooting steps to take and they work.
In addition, I have used a shovel and 4x4 to put pressure on the bottom of 2 of my jacks. AzPete (who works for HWH) told me to wet them down with WD40 and retract and use pressure on bottom of jack stands as necessary.

If jacks aren't used often HWH jacks will tend to stick or refuse to retract at times.

Hope this helps - Richard
Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #12

When this happened to my coach, my mechanic who works exclusilvly on coaches recommended CRC with PTFE. it helps protect the seals. Extend them, clean them and the lubricate them.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03044-Lub.../dp/B07MFGZ5J3
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #13

One of mine would not retract, after reading the excellent HWH troubleshooting guide and removing the hydraulic hose from the non retracted jack and its still stuck, the jack was bad. HWH talked me into a rebuilt one for about 1/2 cost of new with same warranty and alls good. I did replace all springs with new first but that was no help.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
When this happened to my coach, my mechanic who works exclusilvly on coaches recommended CRC with PTFE. it helps protect the seals. Extend them, clean them and the lubricate them.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03044-Lub.../dp/B07MFGZ5J3
Obviously he didn't read the HWH manuals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling jacks

« Tires | Insurances »