Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
HWH Leveling noise

Our motorhome has a HWH TouchPad leveling system. When I activate one of the rams the solenoid under the dashboard "chatters" terribly. A new TouchPad has not cured the problem.
What is the next part needed to try and fix this.
Thanks in advance
Don
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

have you checked to see if the solenoid attached to the hydraulic valve is loose and would rattle when the solenoid is energized... if its correctly attached I'd check with HWH and send them an email.. .but if the problem is just with one valve I'm guessing you've got dirt/contamination in the valve and it either needs to be cleaned or replaced
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

Mine used to do it when I pressed the drivers side jacks down button. HWH recommended running the engine while deploying jacks. I also drained and changed the oil in the hydraulic tank to synthetic. Not sure which cured it but it doesn't do it anymore. HWH said the solenoid may not open fully without the engine running. The jacks also go up a lot faster now due to the synthetic oil. I changed it because I noticed very small brass looking "floaties" in the oil. Not sure where it comes from, inside of solenoids? Shuttle valve? Took more oil than I thought though iirc something like 3 gallons. Everything works great now, no more chatter.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Commercial Member

the jack seals have swollen to the point they are restricting the movement of the ram inside the cylinder.. you can help it by cleaning the shaft with wd-40. that will help some, but the real fix is to have the cylinder rebuilt, or replaced.
call hwh, and request an rga number for tracking purposes. the cost will be much less than replacing it with a new one. they charge for the labor and parts used. there is no set charge, except maximum cost.
the most it will cost you is the price of a remanufactured cylinder. thats in case it is damaged to much to repair.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #5

HWH FAQ webpage
Have you tried replacing that solenoid? Yes, the HWH system is voltage sensitive, engine should be running or plugging in to shore power.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shuttle valve may need replacing or the rigid tubing may need to be changed to a rubber fabric covered one they make for that. I had to do both with one rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
Commercial Member

i believe mr D is on the right path
.is it one ram, or all of them? does it make any difference which set of jacks are activated?
i had assumed (big mistake) that it was one jack. NOT ENOUGH QUESTIONS.
if its one jack thats chattering, its a cylinder problem, like i stated in the upper post.
if its all of them, it doesnt sound like an electrical problem. its mechanical. meaning a swollen seal, shuttle valve, or like that.
does the chattering stop when the jacks hit the ground?
if it does, its a harmonic vibration of the shuttle valve. it can be remedied by replacing the steel u tube that connects between the shuttle valve and the pump fitting on top of the jack manifold. i use a 10 to 12 inch piece of hwh 1/8 hose.
i can help,
call me anytime at 1-602-549-3638 paul maddox
i work for hwh, and live in arizona
i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
i help with diagnostics
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leveling, noise