Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

HWH Leveling System

My HWH air leveling system (2007 CC DP Tribute) will level OK if on a level site but if it is on even a gradually sloped site, it is difficult if not impossible to level. If it does level, according to the HWH computer, it will lose air overnight and will not maintain the leveled condition. Should I replace air leveling with jacks? Can the HWH Air leveling ever be dependable?
Haleyjean50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Your HWH system is probably not the same model as mine but maybe it works the same. We have only had the MH a few months but this is what I've found:

When I pull into a site, the first thing I do is turn off the engine and extend the slides. Then I press and hold the "Dump" button to lower the coach as close to the ground as possible so the step is low. Then I press the top left button TWICE which says "level" on the side and "Air" on the button. This starts the automatic leveling. When all the individual amber lights around the outline of the coach are out I know it is level. I don't touch the buttons after that. If something changes later and the coach is no longer level, it will automatically re-level itself.

How does this compare with your procedure?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

Unless I'm missing something, I don't have a "Dump Button" . I also press the level mode button twice but on a sloped site, after all the amber lights are out and the indicator says it is level, it will gradually lose the level condition overnight. I'll look for something equivalent to "dump" but all I think I have is an "emergency stop" control button.
Haleyjean50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
On mine the "Dump" button is right below the "Level" button on the left side.
Are you sure you aren't touching the "Level" button again after pressing it twice to level? Also, mine has an "Off" button on the bottom left and if you accidently pushed it after leveling then it would not maintain the level position.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Your HWH system is probably not the same model as mine but maybe it works the same. We have only had the MH a few months but this is what I've found:

When I pull into a site, the first thing I do is turn off the engine and extend the slides. Then I press and hold the "Dump" button to lower the coach as close to the ground as possible so the step is low. Then I press the top left button TWICE which says "level" on the side and "Air" on the button. This starts the automatic leveling. When all the individual amber lights around the outline of the coach are out I know it is level. I don't touch the buttons after that. If something changes later and the coach is no longer level, it will automatically re-level itself.

How does this compare with your procedure?
I follow the same exact procedure that Joe does. There is a 12 volt dc auxiliary air compressor mounted up front to the right of our generator that is part of the HWH system and once the coach is level the compressor maintains it in a level attitude. Both of our coaches are Monaco products and Monaco says that you extend slides before leveling and put the leveling system into Travel Mode before retracting your slides. In this aspect your Country Coach may be different. Also, by dumping the airbags prior to leveling the HWH system will only pump air into the lowest end/side of the coach. This will provide you with much more stability during those windy/stormy times.

If this still doesn't work for you, you may wish to look into the possibility of a slow leak in the air suspension system or failure of the auxiliary compressor.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you're not sure which HWH system you have, you can identify it HERE
http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml40256.pdf

Mine is the 680 series.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds to me like a simple air leak. If you get level, it loses it. If it has to pump a lot of air to get level, it can't make it.

The leak is probably in the air suspension, but it could be a check valve in the leveling system that feeds too.

The air pump that maintains level once it is achieved is typically a small one. It may not be sufficient to keep pressure up, or perhaps it isn't working at all.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Going thru similar thing
I replaced the check valve and solonoid at the compressor this helped some, I think some of the check valves at the control blocks are leaking (Have relpacements but not sure were they are YET)
Waiting till I get South to crawl around and find them.(Too damn cold here in Pa)
Good luck
2dogsbarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #9

Well talked to the HWH tech
And it seems some of the check valves are leaking and need replaced or cleaned (Going under to try next week)
To check it dump all the air out of your tanks the run the leveling, if you get pressure back in your tanks its getting by the check valves.
2dogsbarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #10

My HWH air leveling has worked dependably for 18 years, so yes it can be depended upon.

If you do not hear the small electric compressor trying to re-level your rig, then it is probably not working and needs repair.

You also may have leak in the air leveling system. and it needs repair.

The cost to replace the air leveling system with a jacks system should exceed the cost of repairs of your current systems.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote