Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HWH system

Hello
I have A 2003 Newmar kountry star.
My right rear leveler will not retract I can use A bar & push it up but its hard to do any ideas would be helpful It does not have the auto level button not sure what series it is.
Thank you
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #2

Try cleaning the shaft of the jack with WD-40. It helps to clean up inside the jack sheath around the wiper with WD-40 and a q-tip. Just cleaned all 4 of mine and they all were up in just over 1 minute. Right front had to be helped up prior to this. Don't know how long it will last, but it works for now.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Try cleaning the shaft of the jack with WD-40. It helps to clean up inside the jack sheath around the wiper with WD-40 and a q-tip. Just cleaned all 4 of mine and they all were up in just over 1 minute. Right front had to be helped up prior to this. Don't know how long it will last, but it works for now.
I already did that no go thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #4

There is a pressure release on the solenoid for that jack that you can open to relieve the pressure so it is easier to raise. You will have some hydraulic fluid coming out, so be prepared. You may have a bad solenoid that is not allowing the fluid to return to the tank.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
There is a pressure release on the solenoid for that jack that you can open to relieve the pressure so it is easier to raise. You will have some hydraulic fluid coming out, so be prepared. You may have a bad solenoid that is not allowing the fluid to return to the tank.
Is that the t on the back of the solenoid or the bolt on top? I opened thent screw on the back & tryed to push it up won't move
Thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #6

I too have 2003 kountry star. I just got on another thread little over a week ago as I couldn't get any of my jacks to retract. I tried turning the T handles to release the pressure as the manual says but nothing. The next morning I hit store and wham they came up fast. After getting home I done the WD-40 thing and cleaned the springs and lubed them plus added some fluid to the reservoir. They are working ok now but the right front one is still a little slow. Someone asked if I had the square end springs or the tapered springs. I have the older square end springs so I will probably be ordering the newer tapered end springs. Still don't understand why nothing would work the night before, even the T handles and then everything worked the next day. Will be watching to see what you find out. Best of luck.
Ben
Ben-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Jo View Post
I too have 2003 kountry star. I just got on another thread little over a week ago as I couldn't get any of my jacks to retract. I tried turning the T handles to release the pressure as the manual says but nothing. The next morning I hit store and wham they came up fast. After getting home I done the WD-40 thing and cleaned the springs and lubed them plus added some fluid to the reservoir. They are working ok now but the right front one is still a little slow. Someone asked if I had the square end springs or the tapered springs. I have the older square end springs so I will probably be ordering the newer tapered end springs. Still don't understand why nothing would work the night before, even the T handles and then everything worked the next day. Will be watching to see what you find out. Best of luck.
Ben
Order the springs and change them. rvleveling.com is a HWH seller and Chuck will help you out - springs are not expensive and are relatively easy to install yourself.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #8

Yes and I appreciate your help RKins, remember you trying to help me when I first had this problem. I am planning on changing them soon. Looks like there is a lot of issues with them but I think looking at all the threads maintainence and usage is the best way to keep these working well.
Ben-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #9

Be careful when you install your new springs. The common internet solution is to bend the spring and put popsicle stick sized pieces between the twists to make the spring long enough to attach. Then use the system to lower the jack and take out the popsicle stick pieces.

I did that and later when I was at the HWH factory, the tech told me my springs were overstretched. He recommended hooking one end and then using brute force to hook the other end. He made it look easy. My suggestion is to find a 25 year old weightlifter to help install. It helps to put a long screwdriver through the “hook” to have something to grip when stretching.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
Be careful when you install your new springs. The common internet solution is to bend the spring and put popsicle stick sized pieces between the twists to make the spring long enough to attach. Then use the system to lower the jack and take out the popsicle stick pieces.

I did that and later when I was at the HWH factory, the tech told me my springs were overstretched. He recommended hooking one end and then using brute force to hook the other end. He made it look easy. My suggestion is to find a 25 year old weightlifter to help install. It helps to put a long screwdriver through the “hook” to have something to grip when stretching.
I found the bending method nearly impossible. I took and attached one end of the spring with a short piece of chain and a ratchet strap to the other end. Yes, You have to find two solid objects to connect to, but it doesn't take much. Two golf carts is enough. Pull your ratchet strap just to the point where the pieces (I use paint sticks) just slide in. In fact you should have to force them just a little. Spring stretches' straight. Measure before you start. Three inches of stretch is just about right. Put them in and extend them to get the paint sticks out.

I was thinking about making a tool for doing it. A piece of steel rod with washers welded to it. But then there is one more thing to carry around and use every 3 years.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post

Either I'm missing something or what the tech said doesn't make sense. If you stretch them enough to put popsicle sticks in that's still far less then they get stretched every time you put the jacks down.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:31 AM   #12

Try this approach: Hook one end of each spring to the place they hook to at the top and let both hang beside the jack. Now connect the round base plate to the other end of the springs and make sure to have base plate on the side of the jack closest to you. Now using one or 2 pry bars (I bought at Harbor freight) use the bottom of the jack casing and pry down on the base plate until it slides under and onto the point at the bottom of the jack. Pretty easy.
One of my front base plates slid off and the springs retracted the base plate up against the side of the jack. I think it happened as I pulled out of a site and had a hard left turn and somehow the tire caught the base plate (a previous owner had 12"x12" 1/4" plates of steel cut and welded onto the round base plates) - I drove a few hundred miles with it like that - dang lucky it didn't come off. Anyway, I noticed it when I was doing a walk around when I arrived at the next camp ground. I went to the local Harbor Freight, bought the pry bars and I had the base plate back in place in a couple minutes.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This uTube from RVGeeks shows the trick to stretch the spring as others have suggested.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd2u View Post
Is that the t on the back of the solenoid or the bolt on top? I opened thent screw on the back & tried to push it up won't move
Thanks
Sorry, looks like your thread got a little off course.

Mine for the jacks have the T handles on the backs of the solenoids to release the pressure. Have you tried all of them? There is one for each jack. My manifold has about 14 solenoids on it. If your slides are hydraulic, you will have a bunch of them, too. The smaller ones will be for the slides and the larger ones for the jacks. If at a total loss, contact AZPete. His contact information is on here and you can search for him here. He works for HWH and has helped out a bunch of people here including myself.

Tags
hwh