Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
HydraLift

I installed a HydraLift on our 2003 Monaco Executive in order to carry a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. I noticed the bike and lift bounced up and down when traveling over bumps in the road and wanted to know if this is normal for this type of motorcycle carrier?
lgdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

I have noticed the same problem with my gs 1200 on my 03 Revolution, I use a toe down to hold it to the hitch and reduce the amount of bounce, and I drive more carefully
Tim 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tim.. Did you have the mounting brackets welded directly to the frame of your motorhome? In my case I had two hitch receivers welded onto the frame and then welded the mounting brackets welded to 2*2 stock that slides into the receivers.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

No I bolted mind to the existing hitch/ frame extension. I had it checked out by my local shop(Coast RV) so far so good. I also thought about the two trailer hitch option , but as of yet two years and lots of miles, I have come to accept, you just need to take it easy, and drive easy, just got home fom using it again this weekend and I really appreciate its functionality
Tim 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tim.. This weekend I added a third attachment point using the center receiver. At this point I am not sure it will reduce the bounce but I feel more comfortable. Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdillon View Post
I installed a HydraLift on our 2003 Monaco Executive in order to carry a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. I noticed the bike and lift bounced up and down when traveling over bumps in the road and wanted to know if this is normal for this type of motorcycle carrier?
I just sat thru an entire installation of one of these on Friday thru a major shop in Austin. They install on average a hitch every three weeks or so and I wanted to see how the install was done. The tech (28 years exp with RoadMaster and Blue Ox installs, and Hydolifts since they were introduced) explained that their shop welds all the frame and connection points after bolting on to eliminate the bounce effect.

After install - and it was NOT my rig - I snuck my 2012 Street Glide on it to help them test it. I couldn't make the darn thing bounce expect for what play you would normally get on a tag-axle less MH. I was impressed.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post

I just sat thru an entire installation of one of these on Friday thru a major shop in Austin. They install on average a hitch every three weeks or so and I wanted to see how the install was done. The tech (28 years exp with RoadMaster and Blue Ox installs, and Hydolifts since they were introduced) explained that their shop welds all the frame and connection points after bolting on to eliminate the bounce effect.

After install - and it was NOT my rig - I snuck my 2012 Street Glide on it to help them test it. I couldn't make the darn thing bounce expect for what play you would normally get on a tag-axle less MH. I was impressed.

Hope that helps.
Can you tell me if they welded the mounting brackets that come with the lift directly to the motorhome frame?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdillon View Post
Can you tell me if they welded the mounting brackets that come with the lift directly to the motorhome frame?
Yes they did. Continuous bead around the entire bracket wherein made contact with the frame.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post

Yes they did. Continuous bead around the entire bracket wherein made contact with the frame.
Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #10

Cost of Hoist

Dear Husband has a HD Road Glide. And, of course, Silver Rocket (I named it!) MUST travel with us. I am sitting down... so, what is the approximate cost we are looking at to install one of these miracles?

Thank you!
MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on the accessories you choose, the cost to install a Hydralift would be $4,500 to $6,000. I bought the lift on EBay for $3,895 which I think was a real good price for a new lift. I also bought the forward tie down, light kit and wheel lock accessories. The total cost for me came to $4,840 installed. I am very pleased with the lift and have really enjoyed having the bike with us as we travel.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Commercial Member

i would be concerned with metal fatigue on the flexing parts, and frame components, especially extended frame connections. ive seen frame extensions broken loose because of heavy weights on the hitch. the long extensions used by some manufacturers to lengthen the coach dont take into account uses like motorcycle lifts. they almost dont cover even normal hitch weights. i would keep a close eye on welds, and connection points. there is no quick answer or fix.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #13

Hydralift

I purchased the competition with the electric wench instead of the hydraulics thru Camping World and after speaking to the manufacturer they welded all connections and even added extra welded steel between the frame of the RV and the lift.

What I would like to add is be sure and use many quality tie downs...not the cheap ones. I carry a 2011 ultra classic limited and broke the tab on two engine guards while under warranty. On the new frame model, the top tab on the engine guard is smaller and lighter weight than other models. Out of warranty, I welded a 3/16 or 1/4 tab, much larger and heavier than the factory tab, to the smaller tab and tubular bar of the engine guard. I bought a longer #8 grade bolt and bolted everything to the outside of the tab of the factory frame. The factory bolts the engine guard to the inside of the tab on the frame which greatly reduces the size and the strength of the engine guard tab...resulting in failure.

On a lift, the motorcycle rides contrary to normal carrying and tie down of motorcycles. Purchase the accessory tie down soft straps and slip one over each side of the triple tree, which is hidden behind the metal cover plate in front of the forks. You can run your finders around, from the gas tank side of the forks, to feel where they go. Then connect your regular hooked tie downs.

I use 8 tie downs, 4 on each side, to limit the stress of side to side motion which is not a normal towing/carrying direction. Use quality straps like Harley or Ancra or equally designed knock offs that I recently found in a Harley store in Fayetteville at half the price. I broke two good, but lighter weight tie downs, before I realized you have to use quality tie downs whether they are name brand or not.

Good luck,
Pat O'Mara
pomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #14

I am new to this site; I hope you all get this message! Thank you! Well, I guess I/we will work just a tad longer. DH really wants SR (his bike) to travel with us. I guess he envisions himself roaring through Yellowstone with the wind blowing through his hair ... Oh, wait. He doesn't have any hair!

Thank you ALL, again, for the info.
MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote