Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Hydraulic cooler

My hydraulic cooler has been leaking a little fluid for a while so I finally called Spartan and ordered a new one. Very helpful staff and easy transaction by the way and boy did it show up fast. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have ever changed any hydraulic hoses, coolers, or anything else where you loose some fluid? Is there any special procedure to bleed air out of the system? Would you drain all fluid and change filter inside the reservoir?
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would change filters if I had to pull the cooler, my cooler is the lowest cooler on my rig so it would probably drain everything anyway. Changing the filters and fluid is on my to do list for next summer.
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
when you have it apart wash out all the oil and dirt that have probably gotten on the other cooling components. It will save you overheating headaches down the road.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
when you have it apart wash out all the oil and dirt that have probably gotten on the other cooling components. It will save you overheating headaches down the road.
I plan to do this because there is some oily junk stuck to the lower part of the charge air cooler and probably the radiator behind that. I suppose an engine cleaner/degreaser like GUNK followed by a water rinse would do the job.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Many use Simple Green, let it soak awhile and wash everything out. I'm not sure that would work on a very oil/grease plugged radiator. Don't use too much pressure, those old radiators can't take to much.
John G
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJScepter View Post
Many use Simple Green, let it soak awhile and wash everything out. I'm not sure that would work on a very oil/grease plugged radiator. Don't use too much pressure, those old radiators can't take to much. John G
Simple Green and aluminum are a bad combo. I suggest using dish washing detergent.....safer and breaks up grease very well.

From the simplegreen.com web page:

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

If you use simple green as it says you need a protectant after.
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies on cleaning but this is not my biggest concern because there is only a very small area with any oily goo on it. I would really like to know if there is a bleeding procedure for the hydraulic system. Also I cannot find in my chassis manual a filter number. I guess I will call Spartan.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thats great infromation on using Simple Green when cleaning aluminum, the old aluminum radiators seem to be pretty fragile, I had a 1999 Monaco Dip. and it always looked like it could spring a leak at any time! It was still good when I sold it but I have had to replace my CAC and the coolant Rads on the coach I have now and they really looked great, side radiators, aways stayed clean and never used anything but water to flush dust off them,,,go figure!
John G
Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
Simple Green and aluminum are a bad combo.
OutAround

It's true that ordinary Simple Green should not be used on aluminum.......
However, Extreme Simple Green: http://gsa.simplegreen.com/gsa_produ...eme.phpproduct, is SAFE for use on aluminum radiators, oil coolers air conditioner coils, etc.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
OutAround It's true that ordinary Simple Green should not be used on aluminum....... However, Extreme Simple Green: http://gsa.simplegreen.com/gsa_produ...eme.phpproduct, is SAFE for use on aluminum radiators, oil coolers air conditioner coils, etc. Mel '96 Safari
Never seen the extreme.....will look for it......thanks! I like simple green in general so good to know.
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote