Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amen, on that! Try engine off, key on accessory manual lever activation! The pump & tank are usually mounted on the passenger side about 3 feet behind front wheel. Often in front of propane tank. I have complete pdf on the level system you probably have message if you need it.
Winnebago Journey 2002 WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000 5 speed, Air Dog Rapter Lift pump, Michelin XRV all around, TOAD; Xterra 2012 4X4 Auto, driveshaft disconnect. ATT MOBLEY, $20 unlimited internet.
GAGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGypsy View Post
Amen, on that! Try engine off, key on accessory manual lever activation! The pump & tank are usually mounted on the passenger side about 3 feet behind front wheel. Often in front of propane tank. I have complete pdf on the level system you probably have message if you need it.
Engine on, master power on, auto level flipped: Two of the jacks, RR and LF extend but fail to drop. The guy told me that the fluid level was down to a point where the smaller jacks would not extend the main jacks. He said filling it up should do the trick. Having the manual would be awesome!

Yes Yes!

Please send it to me! wjacobs1@pbtcomm.net

That would be so great! I have been chasing electrical issues since labor Day weekend and have yet to get into the leveling system.

Thanks a bunch!
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #17

Well, I found the jack's reservoir. It's about 2 feet long, black with a red motor on one end. It's under and behind the radiator. How on earth am I supposed to service that?

I only got a glimpse of it from under each fender. I guess I will have to go under there.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The fill cap is in the center top about two inches round plastic top. Be sure to add the fluid specified in the HWH doc. Have Fun
Winnebago Journey 2002 WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000 5 speed, Air Dog Rapter Lift pump, Michelin XRV all around, TOAD; Xterra 2012 4X4 Auto, driveshaft disconnect. ATT MOBLEY, $20 unlimited internet.
GAGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #19

Thanks mate!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #20

OK, the tank I found is in fact the reservoir. It is very close under there. I guess I can press a length of clear hose on the end of a funnel and have the wife add a few ounces at a time until it backs up in the hose while I lay under there and watch.

One of the springs is missing off the left front jack. I guess these can be purchased somewhere?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #21

Help, I need guidance

I filled the reservoir with Dextron II and replaced the vent/cap. I used a small plastic squeeze bottle with a curved tube and filled from beneath.

I found the model number, AP-3706 SR after I did this. The manual says full is fluid an inch below the top.

So, I triggered the auto level. The pump comes on in a high pitch whine for about 15 or 20 seconds and then drops to a lower growl for another 15 or 20 seconds or so and then stops. The right rear jack is fully extended in place, none of the other jacks have "kicked" down or extended.

So, under the coach I go. First, I find a broken yellow wire coming out of the bundle of wires that feed into the series 400 jack control panel next to the drivers seat. The driver side front tire has rubbed this wire until it broke.

Spliced this wire and zip tied the bundle away from the tire. Another broken yellow wire is found on the right front jack. Spliced and zip tied. Tested the jacks again, same. Back under the coach. Fluid is dripping off the tank as the over fill is coming back out.

So, I start my search at the right front, since the actuators are not kicking the jacks down, I grabbed each one with pliers on the adjustment screw on top and pulled them out to make sure they would come out and were not stuck. All the way around, no more broke wires and they came out and were oily except the left front. It was stuck solid. So, I use a hammer and old pliers to get it loose. It was dry and dirty. I put Dextron all over it and worked it in and out several times. I figure this is why they won't work, this actuator is stuck in and must be telling the system all the jacks are down.

So, I run the auto leveling again. Same results.

The 4 manifolds are located behind the front grill. They are arranged four in a single row. The two on the left are slightly warm to the touch after a few test runs. The two on the right, are cold. No blown fuses in the coach. I don't know where the fuses are for the jack system or if it even has fuses.
The jacks work with the key on accessory and with the engine running, so no blown fuse there.

Whatever makes the actuators kick the jacks down is not working. All four jacks will extend in place. All four will move down easily when pulled by hand.

The stuck actuator on the front tells me they have not worked in a long time. The seller told me they worked. The genius that I am, I didn't get a demo.
I think he just heard the pump noise and thought that was it and never looked. The coach rocks when we walk around in it, so it's obvious the jacks are not down.

I don't know if the kick down actuators are pumped separate from the jacks or if they get pumped at the same time. The one I freed up will move freely now.

I'm stuck and need guidance.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #22

Get the numbers off the jacks and call HWH. Front and rear jacks will probably be different. They'll ship you the correct springs. The springs are the only thing that holds the base plate on so if the remaining spring breaks you'll need a base plate. I'd tie it up there somehow and not use levelers until you get the new springs.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #23

I ordered the springs already. They are on eBay $30-$45 a pair.

The actuators not working is my problem now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Get the numbers off the jacks and call HWH. Front and rear jacks will probably be different. They'll ship you the correct springs. The springs are the only thing that holds the base plate on so if the remaining spring breaks you'll need a base plate. I'd tie it up there somehow and not use levelers until you get the new springs.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #24

OK, I wish I had done this first. So, for anyone finding or following this thread, first, if you don't know what HWH system you have, get under the RV and clean off the road grime on the FRONT of your jacks and see which model you have. The rear jacks may be different, check. Next, look and see which control you have. The model number is on the front or the back. Finally, search for your manual online, most searches lead back to the HWH site. There are service manuals for all the systems. They will tell you how to operate your system and how to troubleshoot it if it fails to work properly.

Using the manual for my 400 series, I discovered that the seller did not tell me the correct way to operate my system. The manual walks you through step by step. The manual for the 400 series systems is ML7879.PDF.

I've found by reading this manual and with the testing I've done so far, I may have a bad Horizontal/vertical solenoid. There could be a bad ground or blown fuse, but based on the troubleshooting guide, most results end with a bad solenoid. Those never go bad, right? LoL

I'm going out today to check voltage and grounds, but I'm not holding out much hope that it's something simple. Not my luck! I've already found and repaired two broken yellow wires. The schematic says yellow wire is for the Horizontal/Vertical Solenoid.

All four jacks will extend and retract. I can get under it and get the feet on the ground and do a manual leveling when I need to. The auto retract works.
I'll update again tonight.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #25

Solenoid is toast

I followed the HWH guide step by step and tested everything twice. The results are the Horizontal/Vertical Solenoid is bad. Imagine that!

Not only that, but after we got the coach up on all four jacks, we discovered the leveling sensor is not set right or is bad. I carefully leveled it by the bubbles. The LF white light never went out and only two of the red lights ever came on. Auto retract dropped the coach slowly and all the jacks stowed quickly.

The coach came here to SC from Florida. So, everything is corroded to hell and back. The top four solenoids are rusty. The H/V solenoid is very rusty, but the stabilize solenoid is bottom of the ocean rusty!

The fuse block is rusty as well. Its a wonder any of it works. The control panel is the OEM unit. I pulled it up and out of the box to rotate it as I can't see it while I'm sitting in the seat. I operate it standing outside to door anyway. The sticker on the bottom was dated 6/1988, the manufacture date of the coach.

We'll just have to do without jacks until we sell the Pop-up.

Anybody know how much solenoids are going for right now?

Tags
jacks