Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #1

Hydraulic Line Leak

Hi new here hopefully someone could point me in the right direction. long story short i bought a used rv off someone and feel like i got bamboozled. i was on my way to get it smog when i noticed a leak. lool under the hood and a line is leaking. i feel sick to my stomach.

1998 Fleetwood pace arrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_153007.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	300594  
cavedogjr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know where this line goes? How bad is it leaking, over time hydraulic hoses will start to weep. Not the end of the world.

If it is leaking badly you will just have to remove it an have one made. Take it to a NAPA store or a Hydraulic shop and they should be able to make. they charge for the fittings and $/ft for the hose. I had a ~6 hose for my backhoe made at Napa for ~$70.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #3

Are you sure that it a hydraulic hose? That's a pretty good sized hole and if it were a hydraulic hose you would have oil all over that battery and everywhere else. That looks like some kind of a drain hose to me but I'm not there so I really don't know. If it's a drain hose you could probably just wrap some tape around it and it will be fine. You might have to do nothing at all if all of the moisture stay in the bottom of the hose. If you could tell us where it goes that would be a big help, maybe even a picture of each end do we know what it's connected to.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I know of no reason they would run a hydraulic hose in that location. I believe it is something else. Agree with above if it was hydraulic there would be a much bigger mess even if it was just weeping.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't panic. I doubt it's a big deal. It could have been dripping like that for years. Check your fluid levels and get it fixed when you can.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #6

thanks everyone i will try not to panic. i will upload more pictures when i get a chance. i left it my inlaws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200910-170336_QuickPic.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	300615  
Old 09-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #7

RV ‘s in general always need something repaired. One really needs to be handy with a wrench or have deep pockets. This goes for newer units as well so don’t feel like you got bamboozled yet. We had an older Pace Arrow and I considered it a good coach but it also always needed maintenance. It’s just part of owning an RV. With a coach that is now 22 years old there will be other things that will need to be addressed but that is normal. So just take it stride and enjoy the new adventure.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #8

When more pictures are available, hopefully there is a wider view to gain some perspective. The red does indicate it is oil of some type. Before spending money, make sure all hose connections are tight and not leaking, oil has a way of finding the low spot before it drips off.
There are kits available to "patch" a hydraulic hose instead of replacing the entire length and ends. Although, the kit may cost more than having one new replacement made up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Looks like transmission fluid spot on concrete.

Check transmission fluid level...

My wag is the line is a automatic transmission cooler line. Runs from radiator to passenger side of transmission.

Probably not a bad job to replace.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be a hydraulic hose for the leveling system.

Not a big deal, you can have one made at NAPA.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #11

Over time, oil pans need a little re snugging on the bolts, it is normal, some don't need it, some do. If its red, should be power stearing or trans.
I know they used to, make a quick fix cut hose install splice and tighten, it was a screw type compression fitting. The machaics would use them for temp fix to get the bucket trucks up and put away to get to garage to replace. As its not a man lift, I would have no problem using it, and leaving it.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #12

that hose is brittle and im pretty sure it rubbed on the battery causing it to leak. there seem to be black electrical tape wrapped around it that fell off. havnt gotten the chance to really look at what else needs fixin

Tags
hydraulic, leak