Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
We wipe ours down with the Dextron III used in the reservoir. Usually about once a month does the trick.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #16

TDiGuy,
I used silicone spray per the manufacturer(called them to make sure),They said wd40 would create a seal leak,I tried the silicone spray but still have the same problem with the jacks falling or slow retract.
Very frustrating,especially the darn alarm!
mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The power gear system uses pressure to extend, and the springs to retract.
Fluid leaves the reservoir when extending, and is returned to the reservoir when the jacks are retracted. There is a float switch that senses the fluid level in the reservoir, when you retract the jacks, the alarms sounds until the fluid level is high enough to trip the float switch.

they sometimes bury these things pretty deep. We had a 99 pace arrow (F53) and the reservior was in the compartment behind the pass side front wheel, behind the chassis battery. You couldn't see it unless you took the battery out.

The first pic shows the pumps installed (battery removed)
The second is the pump removed from the bus and laid on it's side. you can see the float switch (red wire on the reservoir) and the fill plug (at a 45 degree angle)
These are VERY hard to see / access with the pump in the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	16693   Click image for larger version

Name:	pump4.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	16694  

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have an HWH system with four 12,000# rams, so far I still have the original springs, have never lubricated the rams and all still work just fine!! I did replace the solid tube to the valves with a hose to reduce the pump noise though, but that was in 2003.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Biggest trick is to keep them CLEAN. Lube with d3 and retract.
JCBBOUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same motorhome as you. I always use silicone spray. As the other poster said. You kept getting a jack down warning warning because your reservoir was low on fluid. Being a retired ser. mgr. I hate to say it, but you were ripped off on your service. I would NOT go back to that dealer. my reservoir is in the right front wheel well.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too suspect power gear,, The light goes out after a period of time it seems under any conditions but you will get the alarm if the float in the tank is not sensing "Full"

Here is what happens.. There is, for any given material a number called the coefficient of thermal expansion. This describes how much the size/volume increases as it gets hotter. The fluid has a much higher coefficient than the tank. so in August, The tank may tend to overflow a bit.. Well, it's not August any more, it's January and the good old mercury is frozen solid. So the fluid level in the tank has "Gone down" a bit and is no longer floating the float.

Add fluid.. Likely Dextron III but the precise product will be specifiied on the tank label.

Also, visually inspect to insure the jacks are in fact fully retracted (FIRST) and if necessary extend and lubricate... The manual says silicon spray.. but many feel Dextron III is better. I use silicon myself
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoneer231 View Post
my power gear jacks when turning on key the pad lights up and wont go out has anuone had this problem thanks in advance

Check the sensor switch at the pads.if they are not making contact the lights will stay on,make sure they are clean.
mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.clean View Post
Check the sensor switch at the pads.if they are not making contact the lights will stay on,make sure they are clean.
Power gear uses a low fluid float. It does not have sensor on the jack.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoneer231 View Post
I use parts cleaner try not to use anything with oil base cause it attracts dirt and u only want to clean the jacks
What about using a dry film lube like the type that is used on power steps?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power gear uses a float valve in the reservoir to "Sense" jacks up.. If you are just a bit low on fluid it will act as the O/P describes, as the engine heat warms the reservoir tank the fluid expands (So does the tank but not as fast) and the float is finally happy with the level and the alarms stop.

So the jacks may well be full up (Mine are when that happens) the only way to tell is to do a walk around and VISUALLY confirm them... But adding fluid fixes it.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiGuy View Post
My tank in in the engine bay and says Dexron on it. I have springs on my jacks.
A side note. When reading my manual for my jacks I saw where you are suppose to use wd40 on the outside of them. My jacks were slow in returning so i wd40 them. Well then they did not go all the way up... left about a 1/2" of shinny metal showing and of course the alarm was annoying. So does anyone else use wd40?

I clean mine with a soft rag while extended and then spray with Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #27

You said that it took forever for the jack to raise. How long is that. My jacks take a minute or two for the springs to pull the piston up and pump the fluid back into the resevoir. Remember, the pump has a lot more pressure than the return springs.
tgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote