Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2022, 05:30 PM   #1

hydraulic slide won't retract

Hi All,

Please give me an advice where to look next because I'm stuck with my troubleshooting of 2010 Winniebago Tour 40CD.
It has hydraulic slideout system which used to be working just fine until it doesn't. I'm in the middle of long time remodeling project and it was sitting for some time with the slides retracted.

Symptoms are: All slides stopped working at the same time while retracted. When I press retract - pump works, makes a noise but it sounds like it's going to bypass on all slides.

It has power, locks are unlocked, oil level is okay. Fuses in the control box are intact. Jacks works.

I'm missing something there, please help.

Thanks,
Bob
bobrdobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 05:31 PM   #2

Do the leveling jacks work?
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Do the leveling jacks work?
yes, they are working just fine
Old 10-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #4

Make sure your batteries are good, you need a lot of juice for those slides.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Make sure your batteries are good, you need a lot of juice for those slides.
Engine running, batteries are okay, hydraulic pump makes squeaking noise right away without any movement on either of the slides including bedroom - it's the smallest one which usually moves without any noticeable effort - all that makes me to believe that it's not really a battery issue unfortunately.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:33 AM   #6

Bob, this might be useful: Winnebago HWH slideout service manual.
My suspicion is the hydraulic solenoid is stuck, but the troubleshooting tree will help with diagnosis and repair.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Bob, this might be useful: Winnebago HWH slideout service manual.
My suspicion is the hydraulic solenoid is stuck, but the troubleshooting tree will help with diagnosis and repair.
Thanks! That manual is very handy! I'm suspicious about solenoids too, however it's unlikely that all 6 can go bad at the same time. According to the schematics they have common ground cable and that could be the weakest point that will impact all of them at the same time.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #8

Depends on model and year of HWH equipment but there is a device called a shuttle valve that if stuck/open will affect the slides--not sure if it affects the jacks as jacks are single direction rams, while slides are bi-direction?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:13 AM   #9

Shuttle valve, that's it. I kept calling it a solenoid.
I deserve 30 lashes with a wet noodle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #10

Here is what a shuttle valve looks like--located on the top of the manifold body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shuttle.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	377866  
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Depends on model and year of HWH equipment but there is a device called a shuttle valve that if stuck/open will affect the slides--not sure if it affects the jacks as jacks are single direction rams, while slides are bi-direction?
I recently had a shuttle valve failure on my Winnebago. Shuttle valve affected both slides and jacks. Jacks would extend but would not lift the coach at all.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, slide