Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Hydro-Hot, cursed or normal?

I would like to know if this is normal for a hydro-hot system or if this particular system is cursed it is a coach I am looking at for possible purchase.
Between 2008 and 2015 (I don't have dates for all the repairs as the receipts are not all date) the following occurred:
Electric heating element replaced (7/2012)
Float switch, high limit switch, O-ring, blower motor- $1234
Fuel nozzle, photo disc, electrodes, grommets, PC control board, 12 volt control unit, combustion chamber (warranted)- $2476
Stir pump replacement retrofit kit, mixing valve tempering 145 degree-$822
I just have parts numbers for the next one- "no heating zone 1"-$349.35
Replace zone pump (part warranted)-$372
Inoperative, "problem between panel and heater"- $523
Circulation pump, incorrect wiring (this was 12/07)-$426
Bedroom hydro-hot switch stays on, never goes off- problem not found 5/08
That is all I have records for, don't know that every record was saved
Total repair costs over this 7 year period were at least the $6200 listed above...is it really $1000/ year (roughly, as maintenance is not included, yet I assume needed) to keep a hydro-hot system going or is this beyond normal?
Thanks
Dave
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Sounds about normal to me. I have been on this forum for about a year and from what I have seen your system is about neck and neck with the Vacu-flush system for problems and expense. You couldn't run fast enough to give me either one.
Keep your wallet handy.
Lynn
Old 04-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

The biggest problem we have had with our Hydro-Hot is finding someone who knows how to fix the problems. Lot of people will work on them, but they don't know how to fix it. Hydro-hot systems are great, especially for heating, it is a nice even heat. However, you need to learn how to do the maintenance and minor work yourself. Our unit is a 2004 and we have only had to replace two parts (other than regular maintenance), one was the circulation pump and the other was the flame sensor.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not even close to being 'normal'.

In the 2 1/2yrs I've owned my coach, I've replaced the burner nozzel, fuel filter, and added about 3 cups of transfer fluid. All done by myself.
Runs great. Would'nt want to go back to propane WH and furnaces!!
Old 04-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Certainly not our experience! We had a 2002 Beaver, in the 11 years we owned it, besides "normal" service we replaced the heat shield!
Old 04-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Had 3 Tiffins with Aqua-Hot (currently a 2016 Allegro 45 Bus) other than normal ($ 150-200) annual maintenance never had any problems. Great system!
jbrobinson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrobinson77 View Post
Had 3 Tiffins with Aqua-Hot (currently a 2016 Allegro 45 Bus) other than normal ($ 150-200) annual maintenance never had any problems. Great system!
I've had several tow behind trailers over the years. In the earlier years the only problem I ever had was a couple bad thermo couples. My 1989 Class C sprung a small leak in the hot water tank. I bought a new tank and changed it myself in about an hour. Mind you the Class C was 25 years old in 2013. I bought this unit in 2012 and from what I could see the hot water heater was original.
I did have a problem with the water heater in my class A which I narrowed down to a faulty electronic control board. I replaced this at a cost of $90 plus tax and it has worked just fine since.
Maintenance is zero unless you consider the few minutes I spend with a wet dry vacuum keeping the heat chamber and heater clean every now and then. I don't bill myself for my own labor.Funny thing is I have all the hot water I need also.
I also have a propane furnace which we don't need much but works well if we do. The same thing as far as maintenance. Keep it clean and dust and spider free. Again maintenance cost: 0.
Lynn