Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hello,
We have the Hydro Hot system in coach. Was wondering how other feel about it, problems, etc. Ours needs to be adjusted because the heat is ok, but the hot water is only lukewarm. It also does not work when diesel tank gets below 3/8's full (less than half, more than 1/4 full), something we needed to learn, but it was not much fun when it's cold outside.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello,
We have the Hydro Hot system in coach. Was wondering how other feel about it, problems, etc. Ours needs to be adjusted because the heat is ok, but the hot water is only lukewarm. It also does not work when diesel tank gets below 3/8's full (less than half, more than 1/4 full), something we needed to learn, but it was not much fun when it's cold outside.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Do a search on Hydro Hot and Aqua Hot for lots of information. There is an adjustment knob behind the heater to allow you to set the domestic hot water temp. The problem is usually having the water too hot. You also will not have unlimited hot water when just the electric heat source is being used.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #4

We love ours and so far haven't had a problem in 2 years.

We do have the annual PM performed and I will say that after the 1st PM that it burned cleaner (less diesel smell outside)..although it wasn't objectionable to start with.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #5

Info above is right on the money. Rear panel access will let you turn water temps way up. Mine will run the diesel tank dry if I let it. Electric is marginal for anything other than washing your hands or a few dishes. I can keep the chill off with electric but thats all. I've had four of them now and love it.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all. I knew about the adjustment, but the way mine is installed, I would need to be very small to get to it so I could turn it. Not sure how I am going to get this adjusted. Still hope dealer will take care of it, since we just purchased 30 days ago. Awaiting their call.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #7

Tend to agree with Renipladlo - if I were able to get to the back of the unit, I certainly would not be able to get out. I think on my '05, the temp adjust knob is in the vicinity of the water pump where I also found what looks like one of those temperature probe-like devices. Still not sure if the knob is for the water temp or the temp in the compartments.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #8

The water temperature knob is accessed through the rear of the Aqua Hot. If I remember the setting is backwards and you need to set it on the number 2. The number should be directly in front of you. The real setting is on the inside so the number 2 represents the number 4 setting. If number 2 is too hot, set it at 3 to cool it down some more. It's actually a mixer valve. I'm too fat to reach it but fortunately I have a slim wife who was able to wiggle her way in, I had to pull her out after she turned the knob. What a great design!!! Get a grand kid to get in. Ours was way too hot and with that lousy shower faucet (since replaced with a Moen) I felt it was dangerous. Use a thermometer to set the temperature, I felt 115 degrees is plenty. The way Aqua hot works, you should be able to see a change in temperature by just running the hot water for a very short period of time. Hope this helps.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Renipladlo:
Hello,
We have the Hydro Hot system in coach. Was wondering how other feel about it, problems, etc. Ours needs to be adjusted because the heat is ok, but the hot water is only lukewarm. It also does not work when diesel tank gets below 3/8's full (less than half, more than 1/4 full), something we needed to learn, but it was not much fun when it's cold outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS #75381 / 2009 Saturn Outlook
TOJOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Renipladlo,
Our 2005 Alpine Limited 40'FD has a Hydro Hot System. We couldn't ask for a better system. We stayed at the Air Force Academy FamCamp during the winter months with temps reaching -23 degrees. The Hydro Hot provided us with all the heat and hot water we needed. The engine heater heated the engine to enable us to to get under way in short order. If you plan on being near Denver, Colorado call ahead to the Hydro Hot people and let them check your system out. I did last year and they upgraded my system while doing a fluid change. Hope this helps you out. Have a Great time RV'ing. Tom
2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS #75381 / 2009 Saturn Outlook
TOJOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Renipladlo,

We have the Hydro hot and love it, wouldn't go back to a propane system for anything in the world. Plenty of hot water, quiet, just have to remember to turn it on 2 minutes before a shower and off afterward. The only issue we have is I have to reset it after I take it out of storage. I suspect that is because WRV wired it wrong and when I turn off the power cut off the Hydro Hot
detects a low voltage condition (shut off) and I have to reset the low voltage, simple thing, I keep a paper clip in the compartment. One of these days I will take the time to fix it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #12

DrDave- don't know if this will work on an older model, but I was instructed on our new one that there are two methods to reset. You know the hard reset button on the motherboard. The other (might have been added later by a HHot genius) is a soft reset: turn the Diesel button on the upstairs control panel off, on, off, then on again. Two toggles in a row initiates the reset if I caught that correctly on the walk thru. I haven't had to go to the basement to reset mine as the soft reset always did the trick.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #13
MRL

From the Hydro-Hot manual:

Low Voltage Reset (Button):
The Hydro-Hot's Eletronic Controller must be manually reset whenever the Low Battery Voltage Fault indicator light has been activated. The Electronic Controller can be reset either by depressing the "Low Voltage Reset" buton located on the Elecronic Controller (use a thin, straight, nonmetallic object to access the reset button through the small hole in the faceplate) or by turning OFF the Diesel switch on the Heater's Interior Switch Panel for approximately 30 seconds, then turning the switch back ON.

Raymond
'07 40MDTS
Old 06-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Old RV'r,

I just saw your post about having blocks. If you can safely get your coach up high enough to get under it, there is a way to get to the temp. mixing valve. The floor of the basement has a hole in it between the Aqua Hot unit and the holding tank, it is only covered by the thin material used to cover the bottom of the coach. This is only on coaches with the smart beds. From under the coach, you can feel where the floor is missing and cut the material with a knife. From there you can reach up into the hold and get at the knob on the top of the valve to adjust. After you have the temp set as you like, make a plate to cover the hole and screw it in place.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote