RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

Hydroboost system 1994 Fleetwood Bounder

I need some help please. On the road I sprung a huge leak of power steering fluid through my Hydroboost. I list all the fluids and power everything which wasn't a good experience. I fixed it, lifted the front coach off the floor, and tried to bleed the system from micro bubbles in my reservoir. Wheels off the ground sound quieted down and bubbles disappeared. As soon as I did a test drive, micro bubbles and sound was coming back. Any idea what might be causing that?
mcarden75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

Are you bleeding the power steering pump and lines ?

They will self bleed pushing the air out into the reservoir.

If it's getting air in the system, it is getting pulled in somewhere along the return line to the pump.
Look for loose connections or kinks and cracks in that line.

It's also possible the pump seal went bad from running dry.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

God I hope not. The brake assist actuator Hydroboost wasn't the easy thing to replace or access.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Lots off high and low places in this system for air to hide....Sometimes it takes a while for all the air to bleed, it should work it's self out .....if it's safe to drive run it a few miles see if it helps
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Lots off high and low places in this system for air to hide....Sometimes it takes a while for all the air to bleed, it should work it's self out .....if it's safe to drive run it a few miles see if it helps
Is there a good rule of thumb on how much power steering fluid I should have in the reservoir during the process?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarden75 View Post
Is there a good rule of thumb on how much power steering fluid I should have in the reservoir during the process?
At hot full mark
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
At hot full mark
Thank you. My problem is so many micro bubbles coming out of the over flow tube.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm trying to follow this.

Power Steering - What fluid are you using?? (Does this use ATF Dexron III)

Power Brakes - What fluid are you using? (Does this use brake fluid DOT3)

I assume this is the hydroboost unit on the brake master cylinder.

You need to cycle the brakes with the engine NOT running to allow the emergency backup electric pump (or the accumulator) to also purge themselves.

Do several (10 or so) full depressions of the brake pedal. i.e press the pedal full for a few seconds, then release for a few seconds.

If you have the accumulator type, do 10 cycles to deplete the accumulator, then restart the engine to refill the accumulator, then do 10 more with the engine off.

If you have the electric backup, you should hear the electric motor running anytime the IGN is turned ON but the engine is not running. You'll also see the electric motor tucked up under the master cylinder.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I'm trying to follow this.

Power Steering - What fluid are you using?? (Does this use ATF Dexron III)

Power Brakes - What fluid are you using? (Does this use brake fluid DOT3)

I assume this is the hydroboost unit on the brake master cylinder.

You need to cycle the brakes with the engine NOT running to allow the emergency backup electric pump (or the accumulator) to also purge themselves.

Do several (10 or so) full depressions of the brake pedal. i.e press the pedal full for a few seconds, then release for a few seconds.

If you have the accumulator type, do 10 cycles to deplete the accumulator, then restart the engine to refill the accumulator, then do 10 more with the engine off.

If you have the electric backup, you should hear the electric motor running anytime the IGN is turned ON but the engine is not running. You'll also see the electric motor tucked up under the master cylinder.
The Hydroboost system I have is weird looking which is what sprung the leak. It sits under the driver side wheel well and has 3 metal tubes coming out of it. I've also heard it called a parking brake assist actuator. The 1994 Fleetwood Bounder uses a reservoir to control the brakes and power steering with one system. The reservoir uses power steering fluid. When bleeding the system you lift the front off the ground with no weight on the wheels, start the engine, and turn the steering wheel 1/2 inch each turn until you get to lock position. This process should take a half an hour. I tried that and no bubbles and the sound subsided. I put the wheels back on the ground and did a test drive and the sound and vibrations came back. That's where I am confused.

Tags
bounder, fleetwood