Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Well we made it to Abingdon MD on Sunday with no trouble. We took 495W around DC & 695W around Baltimore. Now we are learning to deal with subfreezing temps. I installed a 100 ld lp tank today. The 20 lb'ers don't get it done when the temps are in the teens, + the DW won't have to refill the bottle as often & the RV park maint guy picks up refills & returns the 100lb bottle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #30

Baltimore restrictions

Hello all, I just joined this forum because of the useful info I stumbled on while researching this topic.
This phone number: 410-537-1374 is the best number to call. The reason I know this is that I just called and the very nice officer on the other end told me so.
He asked me where I got the number and told him this forum. He was very appreciative and asked that I 'spread it around' so other RV'ers can be better informed about the Baltimore tunnels and bridges. He strongly encouraged anyone coming from the northeast on the I-95 corridor to take the 695/Key Bridge route around Baltimore. I told him my T/L Navigator took me on a northern route around the city on local streets which he urged me to avoid. He said they are not looking to give anyone a hard time, but being caught in the tunnel is a big fine, sometimes could lead to arrest.
Thank you all for this fine forum.
Chasboy,
Morristown, NJ
Chasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Chasboy, Thanks for the phone #. As I wrote in the post above yours I used 495W & 695W. I don't know if this was the best route or not. We never left the interstate. We did not have to pay any tolls. One thing my wife noticed is that we did not see very many tractor trailers on this route, but it was Super Bowl Sunday about 2-3 pm. Did it take longer than the bridge route, I have no idea. All I know is if we return to the south from here I will take the same route.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
More Questions than Answers?

For some reason I just goggled Baltimore I-95. Found this old thread. With the construction on I-95 south I missed the left turn I hade been using for 30+ years to the Key bridge tried to get around going though the tunnel but noticed the other tunnel also had restrictions. Long story shot went through the Baltimore tunnel paid the toll kept going (probably got lucky). Now I am rethinking using the Key bridge $$ and just taking the I-695 beltway around the western side of Baltimore. Any comments?
Googol mileage picking spot north and one south of the city.
Tunnel 17.3 mi / 24 minutes
Key bridge 29.6 /36 minutes
I-695 W 32.7 /41 minutes
Appears to be economically sound to use the I-695 approach.

r0n…………

I am driving to North Baltimore (Abingdon, MD) This Sunday with my MH. carring propane. IS Francis Scott Key Bridge, I-695? No Tunnel on I-695 correct? So coming from the south on I-95, I should take the bypass around Washington DC 95N/495 to the East then back to 95N to 695N, then back to 95N north of Baltimore. Is this correct. Is the toll the same for cars as for the MH single axel?

Thanks for your help or any other suggestions on a route from Charlotte NC. I am expecting the traffic to be lighter than a weekday on Sunday about 12-1pm. I made this trip last week in our car with a gps. The gps took us I-95 to Pennsylvania Ave back on I-95 then thru downtown Baltimore. I do not want to do that route with the MH. We did not go thru the tunnel on I-95 this way either.[/QUOTE]

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Francis Scott Key Bridge is on I-695 E with no tunnel. (toll)

I-695 W has no bridge, tunnel or toll, but the traffic is usually heavier.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the information. I think I will give it a try next time. I always attempt to time my travel thought this area for the off peak time if you can find one! A couple of months ago I thought I was smart tiring to get around DC at midnight only to find very heavy traffic.
Thanks, r0n…………

2004 MACA3781
Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #35

We took the Key Bridge/695 route on the way to Florida the 3rd week of March and it was a pleasure. We took a western loop home and avoided that area completely.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Guys,

It does NOT apply to motorhomes with DOT permenant propane fuel tanks. DOT fuel tanks are NOT hazardous cargo and are allowed anywhere other motor fuel tanks (ie gasoline and diesel) are allowed to travel.
Not true. You cannot drive a MH with any type of propane in either of the Balto. tunnels.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the western loop do you mean, I-695west around Baltimore?

ron…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasboy View Post
We took the Key Bridge/695 route on the way to Florida the 3rd week of March and it was a pleasure. We took a western loop home and avoided that area completely.

2004 MACA3781
Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #38

no Ron, the eastern route over the Francis Scott Key bridge.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
Not true. You cannot drive a MH with any type of propane in either of the Balto. tunnels.
Please provide a link to the law that states such. Be aware that laws on transporting propane cylinders and portable tanks do not apply. Only laws on propane motor fuel tanks that are OEM installed parts of the vehicle.

The tanks on travel trailers ARE illegal in the tunnels. I will grant you that.

The laws for the different types of tanks are very different as are the certifications for each. Propane powered taxis, school busses and other commercial vehicles use those tunnels all the time. The DOT tank on most motor homes falls under the same rules.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #40

Man am I glad that I found this thread. We are planning a trip in July. We will be leaving Sarasota, FL headed to Croton on Hudson, NY. I have tried using the Good Sam route planner and the FMCA planner. If I use the AAA TripTiK planner I can manipulate the route to go around D.C. and Baltimore as many of you have suggested.After I go around Baltimore on I-695 I plan to take I-95 North. Just south of Wilmington, Delaware I-95 heads towards Philly. Should I follow I-95 or take the New Jersey Turnpike? What are the tolls on the turnpike if pulling a toad?What about picking up I-295 near Wilmington and taking it to just NE of Trenton. From there take HWY 1 North to near New Brunswick where I can pick up I-95 again.I suppose it depends on the tolls?Anyone have any input?
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
Avoid it all

Randco, would recommend looking at I-95 to Fredricksburg,Va. then 17 to 66 to 81 and 84 to NY 9 south. You could also try 81 to 78 to 287 to 87? Just did the 17-66-81-84 to Poughkeepsie lot less hassle then the 78 route! Fuel up in Virginia then try to wait till exit 1 in NY get off turn left your in NJ top your tank, only downfall is pull up Port Jervis Mt. getting back on I-84! But fuel price is worth it! Safe Travels
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #42
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
randco
Do youself a favor and avoid the whole metro area. We travel back to NJ every spring from Fl. The route I take is slightly longer but 100% more relaxing and scenic. I despise driving through DC/Baltimore metro area. In S Carolina pickup I-27 North to I-77 then to to I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley to Pa and Jersey. You will probably reroute north somewhere in Pa to New York State you'll have to check the map for the best route but the drive is much better, especially the NJ Turnpike when you get near the NY metro area its a nightmare not good for rv driving.