Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
While I can't go specific, I can offer a comparison for the OP. We have a 360hp Cummins and we're pulling 5600 lbs as well. I enjoy speed as much as you I suppose. To answer your question, you're not going to have any problems doing 70, 75, probably more. While I've learned to keep it down to about 66 or so, I have NO problem doing 70+. With 20 more horses than me and probably equivalent weight, if not less, you're all good. (Side note, I love Sammy)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too was speeding everywhere I went.
My newest Tshirt says
"I'm retired go around me"
Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
OP, notwithstanding the ability of the MH to go 70 mph or more, at what speed do you think it unsafe to drive a vehicle of this size & weight?
If I might chime in and according to our government, a motorhome and a semi truck is safe to drive as fast as a corvette. This with the posted speed limits, that makes no distinction, on our nations highways. Not what I've surmised, according to the laws of physics, but what our government has obviously and most carefully calculated.
Discounting everything else and just thinking of those big front tires rolling at max speed or more, is enough to scare the hell out of me.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Check the speed rating on your tires. I'd be surprised if they said anything over 75 MPH.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtspence View Post
Based on information from Camp Freightliner the ISL9 sweet spot is 1800- 1900 rpm for power & economy. Your speed will be determined by gear ratio an tire diameter.
If I drove my ISM rig at that RPM I would be passing everything in site
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #20

Normally the bigger hp and torque motors like is in your new coach will have gear ratios that will be more in line with your higher speed concerns. The smaller hp motor has to be geared down in order to pull the weight and consequently revs higher at speed.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
If I drove my ISM rig at that RPM I would be passing everything in site
X2.....and at 1400, I'm at max torque, lumbering along at about 57mph and managing to stay in 6th gear over the rolling hills and some fairly steep, so can't get any sweeter for a hot spot than that, in my estimation. Without violating the laws of physics, that is.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #22

Made several long runs with a few friends traveling together and lock cruse down 72-74. I have a ISB a friend has a ISL, another is also a ISB it is no problem. I assure you our Cummins do not struggle at those speeds. They seem quite happy. Many say its too fast, I feel different. I keep up with tire maint. Factory cruise sets at 74. If windy or poor conditions we slow down but weather permitting we roll on. I am not retired and my time off is important and limited to what I can take at one time.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On speed: 65 is as fast as I want to drive. Going faster is too much work!

On economy: (prior vehicle...) I found significant differences in economy between 57 MPH and 63 MPH. We're talking several MPG. I used to travel NH to FL and back several times each year. Long drive to let you learn things like this... One thing I learned was that at 57 MPH, driving was so easy, never have to worry about passing someone, for example. I'd see the same cars and trucks pass me six or seven times over a two day period. Always pushing but not really making any more progress than I was making at a lower speed. I would feel relaxed and not stressed. I can only figure they had to stop and rest due to the stress of going much faster?

My only problem is that both of the rigs we have now really like to be driven fast! The Winnebago ERA will cruise at 70 easily. The HR seems to be always over the speed limit too. I have to watch myself if I'm not using the cruise control in both of them. And once the HR is over 65 it really is more work driving.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
On speed: 65 is as fast as I want to drive. Going faster is too much work!

On economy: (prior vehicle...) I found significant differences in economy between 57 MPH and 63 MPH. We're talking several MPG. I used to travel NH to FL and back several times each year. Long drive to let you learn things like this... One thing I learned was that at 57 MPH, driving was so easy, never have to worry about passing someone, for example. I'd see the same cars and trucks pass me six or seven times over a two day period. Always pushing but not really making any more progress than I was making at a lower speed. I would feel relaxed and not stressed. I can only figure they had to stop and rest due to the stress of going much faster?

My only problem is that both of the rigs we have now really like to be driven fast! The Winnebago ERA will cruise at 70 easily. The HR seems to be always over the speed limit too. I have to watch myself if I'm not using the cruise control in both of them. And once the HR is over 65 it really is more work driving.
I think that you nailed it, nehog. Going faster than 65 requires a much higher level of situational awareness - which equals stress over time. I find that I am much more rested at the end of a 60 - 63mph run than over 65.

Also, if you have ever had to make an emergency stop with wheels locked and tires squealing, you will know how long it takes to stop a big rig. Mine came at 40 mph when some dope pulled out in front of me. I can't imagine what having to stop at 60 or 70 mph would be like.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #25

When picking a speed that I feel comfortable cruising for 10 hours, I ask myself what I would do if I had to make an emergency stop or needed to avoid hitting something that appeared on the road while towing a 10,000# trailer behind my 41,000# motorhome. 62 mph is the sweet safe spot for me. But that's just me. The guy driving 75 is never going to have to make an emergency move, so it doesn't matter to him.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 AM   #26

We have a 2017 Discovery LXE 40G with the ISL. 70 mph is about 1950-2000 rpm. I can't tell a difference between 65 and 70 it is so smooth and driveable. The motor is not screaming by any means.
codsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #27

I just drove a Phaeton from Tucson to San Diego and it did 75 just fine. I believe it had the same 380 hp engine.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
My Detroit Series 60 just loves to run at 1500rpm which is 64 MPH. It's got lots of power and wants to keep going faster at 75mph, but that's my limit - only when passing. I'm sure it would easily go 85, but I ain't ever going to try it.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote