Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #1

I forgot a couple of things when I put my RV in storage for the 1st time

So it got up over 60 today so I thought it would be a good day to excerise my generator, since it has been below frezzing for a couple of days. When I got to the storage facility I first added Stabil to my gas tank since I had not done it before. I also checked the oil level in the generator which was good. I then opened up my RV and I had a couple of surprises. First my battery disconnect was not on, I forgot to turn it off so the coach batteries were run down to 11.8 (not good). Pressed the remote switch and the generator turned on and started charging the batteries.

Second I turned on the front ac heat pump to add a load to the generator. After a while still no heat coming out. Turned on the rear and after a couple of minutes there was heat. Turn off the back and left on the front with the hope it would get warm - not. Oh well will have to look into that one.

Flipped the light switch and noticed a bunch of lights did not go on. I knew this was the case. Got a box of replacement lights from Newmar. WIll be putting them in over the winter. Tired to turn on the lights under the bed room tv. No go. Checked the fuses and they were good. Tired to open the slide, it had power. Scatched my head then remembered I had to flip the light switch on the wall first for the lower TV lights to work - dah - They worked. Also turned on the front TV, without lifting up the antenna I was able to get 16 TV stations even the Maury show.

Third went to the cabinet where the washer/drier would be (just got the hook ups) and noticed that the floor was wet. Pulled out the cleaning items I stored inside and wiped down the cabinet floor. Whew no damage. But when checking the containers, every single one was sweating - water drops on the exterior. Each bottom must have froozen during the past below freezing days, and was defrosting since it was so warm. One bottle still had a chunk of ice in it. (New rule, when storing RV take everyhting out). I am also going to get a rubber car mat or large bucket from Wally World to place on the floor and put everything liquid on top of or in it.

While wiping down the my counter top pulled up one of my sink cover and notice I had left a used fork and knife in the sink. Took them home to clean. But also notice that one of the hand sanitizer bottles was leaking. Not a big deal since it was in a plactic tray but I am getting the hang of frezzing weather effects on liquids left in the RV.

Firgured I might as well check the roof, so up I went. You guessed it I found a couple of tiny openings (1/16" and smaller) in the sealant, roof cover was perfect other wise. I am ordering a couple of tubes of Dicor Lap Sealant from amazon today. When climding down from the roof I noticed that the top rear running lights sealant was not looking good at all. Got some duct tape and covered them.
I wasn't feeling good about it so I ran to Home Depot and got a tube of black silicone, and clear tube for the bathroom when I need it, and fixed the rear running lights the right way. Since its going to be cold agian soon this was the day to do it. I quickly checked the front running lights but Newmar really takes care of them and does a beter job on the front.

After I got down I locked and double checked everything. I had already turn off the ac so the generator could cool down before shutting it off. Double checked the interior to make sure everything was off. Turned off the battery disconnect closed and locked the door and walked away feeling better that I had stopped by the RV. (yepp I turned off the TV too.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
So it got up over 60 today so I thought it would be a good day to excerise my generator, since it has been below frezzing for a couple of days. When I got to the storage facility I first added Stabil to my gas tank since I had not done it before. I also checked the oil level in the generator which was good. I then opened up my RV and I had a couple of surprises. First my battery disconnect was not on, I forgot to turn it off so the coach batteries were run down to 11.8 (not good). Pressed the remote switch and the generator turned on and started charging the batteries.

Second I turned on the front ac heat pump to add a load to the generator. After a while still no heat coming out. Turned on the rear and after a couple of minutes there was heat. Turn off the back and left on the front with the hope it would get warm - not. Oh well will have to look into that one.

Flipped the light switch and noticed a bunch of lights did not go on. I knew this was the case. Got a box of replacement lights from Newmar. WIll be putting them in over the winter. Tired to turn on the lights under the bed room tv. No go. Checked the fuses and they were good. Tired to open the slide, it had power. Scatched my head then remembered I had to flip the light switch on the wall first for the lower TV lights to work - dah - They worked. Also turned on the front TV, without lifting up the antenna I was able to get 16 TV stations even the Maury show.

Third went to the cabinet where the washer/drier would be (just got the hook ups) and noticed that the floor was wet. Pulled out the cleaning items I stored inside and wiped down the cabinet floor. Whew no damage. But when checking the containers, every single one was sweating - water drops on the exterior. Each bottom must have froozen during the past below freezing days, and was defrosting since it was so warm. One bottle still had a chunk of ice in it. (New rule, when storing RV take everyhting out). I am also going to get a rubber car mat or large bucket from Wally World to place on the floor and put everything liquid on top of or in it.

While wiping down the my counter top pulled up one of my sink cover and notice I had left a used fork and knife in the sink. Took them home to clean. But also notice that one of the hand sanitizer bottles was leaking. Not a big deal since it was in a plactic tray but I am getting the hang of frezzing weather effects on liquids left in the RV.

Firgured I might as well check the roof, so up I went. You guessed it I found a couple of tiny openings (1/16" and smaller) in the sealant, roof cover was perfect other wise. I am ordering a couple of tubes of Dicor Lap Sealant from amazon today. When climding down from the roof I noticed that the top rear running lights sealant was not looking good at all. Got some duct tape and covered them.
I wasn't feeling good about it so I ran to Home Depot and got a tube of black silicone, and clear tube for the bathroom when I need it, and fixed the rear running lights the right way. Since its going to be cold agian soon this was the day to do it. I quickly checked the front running lights but Newmar really takes care of them and does a beter job on the front.

After I got down I locked and double checked everything. I had already turn off the ac so the generator could cool down before shutting it off. Double checked the interior to make sure everything was off. Turned off the battery disconnect closed and locked the door and walked away feeling better that I had stopped by the RV. (yepp I turned off the TV too.)
There's a simple answer for this oversight. It's called "Aging".
I know I can't remember everything so I made myself 4 checklists and print them out:
• One to close up the house before we leave
• One to check when we leave/come back to storage
• One when we set up camp
• One when we break camp

BTW...forget med's or asking DW or GF to remind you. Those don't work. The latter suffers from the same malady.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hope you didn't use silicone sealer on the lights as Newmar says not to.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #4

Yeah I have a list, forgot to use it.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I hope you didn't use silicone sealer on the lights as Newmar says not to.
Newmar uses clear silicon to protect the real sealant. My owners manual says never to use silicone as the primary sealant. So what should I use. Rubber Butyl, ProFlex?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Newmar manuals specify all sealers used in the coach.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #7

LOL. One day a couple of years ago I went to my unit after it had warmed up to the 20's after having been down to -20F for a couple days. Found my battery disconnect switch was NOT off. oh **** (self moderated). six frozen batteries and six replacement AGM's (which I REALLY like) and hopefully I will never make that mistake again ...). But it does happen - I think you have just described pieces of experiences many of us have had (I also have experienced the frozen/leaking plastic containers - though in my case luckily they were in the shower pan 😀. Thank you for sharing!!

Tags
storage