Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

I guess I’d call this Motorhome fixes

The other day I was exiting off interstate 40 onto a 25 mph ramp, actually I was going 20 which may have helped a little. When all of a sudden a guy in front of me in a Fiat decided to stop on the ramp half way through a wide turn. He was part on the ramp and part in the lane and how I missed him I’ll never understand.

I’d never actually slammed on the brakes before but between that and moving right as far as I could I somehow missed him. My only hope is this guy soiled his shorts after realizing what he’d done. And maybe my horns on high may have added to that as well... What an idiot! Maybe next time he’ll look behind him before doing stupid!

My reason for telling you all this is between the hard braking going downhill and a hard move to the right the door of my microwave/convection oven flew open. It didn’t hit anything it just flew open and now when I close it, it pops back open. I can tell that the door is leaning down more than it should so it doesn’t seat properly.

Have you ever had this kind of thing happen to your microwave door and if so what did you do about it?

Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Might have bent the hinges by opening farther than the hinges normally would allow
Old 11-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Harry

With your money buy a new microwave and problem solved. If you are too cheap to do that duct tape works.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

Hey come on Sam, it’s brand new and I’ve not even used it yet. And my bankers keep telling me that I can only get money after you’ve made a deposit.

Give that Toby girl a big hug for me!

Harry
Old 11-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can't help with the microwave but can sympathize with the experience. I've actually verified the anti-lock brakes on my coach work!
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Harry

Last time I gave Tobe a hug and said this is from Harry she smacked me and said Harry who.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #7

Hi dmurdock, I found out the same thing. And that guy in the Fiat had no idea how lucky he was that I was paying attention and the antilock brakes worked allowing me to stear around him. 3000 pounds vs 48000 is a poor ratio indeed!

Hey Sam, that’s funny because the last time I hugged Toby she said Sam who!

Harry
Old 11-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems to me that they were just trying to collect insurance money from you by slamming the brakes and having you hit them. It may be time to invest in a Dash Cam.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Seems to me that they were just trying to collect insurance money from you by slamming the brakes and having you hit them. It may be time to invest in a Dash Cam.
I had that thought as well. Sometimes when I see things I want to believe that it must be intentional, as one's level of stupidity can not possibly reach that level, but then I just watch the news or any 30 second TV commercial and my faith in human integrity is restored, and I once again believe it was just stupidity. I still think a dash cam is a good idea.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #10

Roger that on the dash-cam, I never travel without one!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Having had to work on a couple of micro-waves in the past, my first thought is tweaked hinges. And next thought is the latch isn't right.

What make/model is it?
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #12

I would agree that the hinges are sprung. Now, how to fix.....is the door just hanging too low.? Is so try to lift it up a bit...gently, not overly strong, just a little at a time, now does the latch line up better, if not repeat. Let me know if that helped and we can try something else.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #13

The official term for what happened to you is a "Brake Check." Without dashcam proof of what happened, you would have been cited if you had hit him. Given that he did this on a ramp at slow speed, I'm pretty sure you were the victim of a brake check. Not a lot of risk of being injured, but enough damage to collect on a fake "whiplash" injury.

Search on "brake check" on you tube and you'll get a good education.

Then go get a dashcam. Mine starts recording the moment I turn on the key.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Hi guys,

It’s a Worldpool Gold Convection Microwave/Oven. The door latches fit into the two latch holes but it pops back out. I can tell with the door open that it’s bent down a bit. I tried lifting up on the door but the bottom plate doesn’t want to move. I think it’s this plate that supports the bottom left corner of the door needs to be bent back up.

I’m searching for the manual and lacking that I’ll get the number off the unit and see what I can find on line. I just thought I’d mention it here on the off chance someone had a similar experience. I think the door needs to come off and I’ve not quite figured how to that yet. Ahhh the life on the road!

Harry

Tags
motorhome