Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3Alpha View Post
It has nothing to do with what I want, it has to do with Federal law.
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Press Releases

Interesting. Which manufacturer was that?
My last RV was an '88 model Jamboree, on an '87 Ford chassis (that was actually built in late '86). It was registered (correctly) as an '88. The only issue I had was remembering to buy engine/drivetrain parts for an '87 rather than an '88.
It was Rexhall. I really really like their coaches. I think they had a good product. They didn’t do it on all their rigs just a handful. The reseller was supposed to disclose it to the buyer. Either they failed to or the buyer neglected to pay attention or realize it could be a concern.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #44

Wow, bummer. I've always admired Rexhalls; nice rigs. Something to be aware of, I guess.

My '88 on a chassis built in '86 was the biggest spread that I would ever want. Any more than that would probably be a no-go for me, although it's likely not something most buyers would ever even think about until after the fact. I know I never considered it till the first time I went to buy an air filter for my '88, and it didn't fit. The '88 Ford E350 was fuel injected, my '88 ('87) was still carburetor; round filter instead of rectangle. That was the first that I became aware of split year RVs.
H3Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo View Post
Thanks for the info Navy mom. (btw, I was Navy - loooong time ago) Anyway, the main reason I bought this RV is because my wife has advanced AD, palliative end-of-life. I am also selling our home of 41 years to my oldest granddaughter that I raised (along with three of her siblings, all girls) The agreement is I and my wife will continue to live in the house until one of us or both of us are gone. And it looks like my wife will be leaving sooner than I. Once she is gone (hopefully she will be with me when we celebrate 60 years married in 2 weeks) I plan to leave the house as I will not be able to stay, not without her. So I thought I'd get an RV and just hit the road to places I've never been. Plus I have friends and relatives in Utah, Texas, Colorado, OK, and Florida. The farther away I get from San Jose, the better for my psyche. And from what I've been hearing, the 460 may not that be that bad of an engine, although I am not familiar with that engine at all. Today, I finally plan to check out the unit. The seller is gonna spend a couple hours with me familiarizing me with the RV.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife, and your family.

As for the 460; great engines. My first 2 RVs were the 460, between the two I drove them for a combined 25 years and they never missed a beat. Most common issue is broken rear exhaust manifold stud, usually the passenger side. Otherwise, pretty much bullet proof. I think the only repairs I made on the two in the 25 years was one water pump, one ECM, and one broken exhaust manifold stud (mine was driver side).
H3Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #46

I am also sorry to hear this as well. I wish you the best in the decisions you are faced with. That is why I decided not to wait till we can retire. What if I don’t make it that long or physically can’t enjoy it.

Anyway, I’m sure there will be some similarities between the two fords. It’s all a learning curve anyway.

I do want to comment on hills. See if you can find out the characteristics of that setup on hills. I have a workhorse, I know comparing it to the V-10 they are not the same on hills. While both are ok on hills the power bands are different, max RPM to sustain over time i.e. where to hold the max RPMs when going up or down hills. I can guarantee its different from the V-10.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #47

Quote:
But if the title says it was YR MODEL 1996 and YEAR 1st SOLD 1996, how can it be a 1997? Y
As I have been told and I am not saying it is God's truth or anything,
The truck and chassis are produced and then sent wherever until a motor home maker comes along and says "I wanna put a house on this" and then off it goes for however long it takes to make it into a house and then that person sells it as a 99 fancy name motor home while the VIN number will pull up as a 97 or 98.
The motor home part doesn't have or need a VIN, only the truck carrying the home. And they motor home guy wants to make it sound as new as possible.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Last March I bought a used 2015 Itasca Diesel Class A. It originallly sold new in July of 2014 even though it was a 2015. I later found out that Freightliner sold the chassis to Winnabego/Itasca in Dec of 2013. So, in 2017 I bought a 2015 model with 2013 tires. Go figure.
That sounds as bad as a stick built home my parents bought "brand new" in 09. It was finished and loaded with the appliances at least a year or two prior and no one wanted such a "plain" home comparable to the other homes all around it so then mom and dad buy it and 6 or 8 months or whatever go by and the dishwasher and mic start misbehaving and guess what? Warranty expired, we can't help ya. Despite the fact that the items had not ever been used until my parents moved in, they were still "old".
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #49

Here’s the answer I received from Gulf Stream. Can be up to 2 years difference in chassis yr vs motorhome yr. Bottom line is that the mh mfg sets the model yr.

Service Tips WIT Club News – August/September 2009 ANSWERS FROM RVIA: SPLIT MODEL YEARS The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) has recently published a document entitled “Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes.” As the title infers, it relates to questions that can arise regarding the chassis manufacturer’s model year and the model year assigned to the completed motor home by the final stage motor home manufacturer. Below is the original memo from RVIA for your reference and information. Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars? Motorhomes are “multi-stage vehicles.” This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers. How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages? The first-stage manufacturer, also called the “incomplete vehicle manufacturer,” assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These “incomplete vehicles” are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called “completed vehicle manufacturers.” The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the “household” systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle. How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles? According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, the VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). The MCO document provides information about each particular chassis. How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles? Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document. Why do some chassis have a different model year than the completed motorhome? An incomplete vehicle chassis is manufactured before a completed motorhome is built on it. Motorhome manufacturers may buy hundreds, even thousands, of chassis each year. Because of variations in advance purchases of incomplete vehicle chassis, the flow of new product orders, market conditions and new model roll-outs, the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis is frequently different from the model year of the completed motorhome.

What are some examples of model year differences? A group of fifty chassis could be built at the end of a calendar year and assigned that year’s model year by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. A few weeks later, those chassis could be sold to a motorhome manufacturer. The motorhome manufacturer may use half of them to finish production of one motorhome make, assigning those motorhomes the motorhome manufacturer’s current model year on their final MCO’s. These completed motorhomes would have a model year one year greater than the model year of the chassis. The motorhome manufacturer may later use the other half of the chassis in manufacturing a new motorhome design, assigning those motorhomes the next model year. As a result, their final MCO’s would have a model year designation that is two years greater than the chassis model year. In another example, a chassis manufacturer may decide to skip a model year entirely and designate its chassis one year ahead of the then current calendar year. This could result in motorhomes having a model year once year less than the chassis model year. Who decides what the “official” model year of the vehicle is? The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001). Is it permissible to have different model years for the chassis and completed motorhome? Yes, it is permissible. The United States Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) has directly addressed this very issue and determined in a formal staff option that it is NOT an unfair or deceptive trade practice for the completed motorhome and its chassis to have different model years. In recognition of the fact that the final stage manufacturer has the authority to designate the model year for motorhomes, the FTC has stated that the incomplete vehicle chassis manufacturer may use the phrase, “Model Year – Not Applicable” on the MCO’s for the incomplete vehicles it sends to final stage motorhome manufacturers, if it so chooses. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001). Is the motorhome manufacturer required to disclose the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle and the model year of the incomplete chassis? No. However, four states (California, Maryland, Michigan, and Wisconsin) require dealers to inform purchases of multi-stage vehicles of the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis and the model year of the final stage motorhome. What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes? When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer. What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year? If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #50

Here’s what I received when I asked Gulf Stream I this same question. Main thing is that the motorhome mfg sets the model yr. could be up to 2 yrs newer than the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E13FAFF-AE9D-43A3-826E-8FB57B012DAD.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	187299   Click image for larger version

Name:	1FC36995-692E-42F6-B3D3-84082084D6E7.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	187300  

Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
EddieLo- Your 1997 Cruise Master was built by Georgie Boy Manufacturing, on a Ford chassis. Georgie Boy was bought out by Coachmen years ago. Coachmen has the owners manual available for download.
http://www.coachmenrv.com/OwnersManuals/14218502.pdf
Hooligan, I would imagine it's a typo or misprint, but on the owner's manual on your link on page 9 it has instrument panel pictures. On the top picture it says "Swinger Driver's Compartment" (Chevy) But in my owner's manual, same page, it says "(Ford)" lol. Ok, then the picture below, on your link it says (Ford) but in my manual it says "(Chevy)." Boy, was I confused! I guess someone goofed up and was printed with this error. Anyway, glad I checked out your link. I'll probably use it more than the one I have cause who knows how many more errors it might have.
EddieLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #52

VIN Number Decode

Quote:
I entered the number and here is what I got back. "We could not find any information for VIN 3FCMF53G0TJA10343"
I went to several other sources and all say the same thing. Basically this VIN does not exist.
Next?
EL
3 = Mexico
F = Ford
C = Basic Stripped Chassis
M = 16K - 19.5K GVW / Hydraulic Brakes
F53 = F53 Motorhome Chassis (Gas)
G = 7.5L (460) MFI Fuel Injected OBD1
0 = Check Digit
T = 1996 Chassis Model Year
J = Assembly Plant
A10343 = Chassis Serial Number
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #53

In 2015 I purchased a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer built on a 2016 Ford chassis. Ford just upgraded it's chassis and some 2016 MH's are on the Ford 2015 chassis and some are on the 2016 chassis.

Previously I owned a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer built on a Ford 2006 Chassis. Again in 2006 Ford introduced an upgraded chassis. In this case Winnebago built my 2005 coach on the new 2006 chassis.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #54

PROBLEM SOLVED. I think, lol. It's not the alternator. It's not the battery. Not sure, did someone here mention BELTS? So here's what happened. Mechanic opens the cover inside the MH to access engine. Says, "well, there's the alternator." Ok, fine. Then he adds "but there is no belt on the alternator." He looked and - nothing. Went under the MH and double checked. Yep, no belt. So that my friends, is what the problem was. The belt had broken and the alternator stopped working. He checked and said, "there's another belt that should be changed as it looks bad." So now I will start shopping for two belts. One is the serpentine, what is the other? And if it had no serpentine, how did I have power steering? And doesn't it also work the water pump? And the a/c, right? (but I didn't turn the a/c on)

EL
EddieLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #55

Quote:
Thanks for the info Navy mom. (btw, I was Navy - loooong time ago) Anyway, the main reason I bought this RV is because my wife has advanced AD, palliative end-of-life. I am also selling our home of 41 years to my oldest granddaughter that I raised (along with three of her siblings, all girls) The agreement is I and my wife will continue to live in the house until one of us or both of us are gone. And it looks like my wife will be leaving sooner than I. Once she is gone (hopefully she will be with me when we celebrate 60 years married in 2 weeks) I plan to leave the house as I will not be able to stay, not without her. So I thought I'd get an RV and just hit the road to places I've never been. Plus I have friends and relatives in Utah, Texas, Colorado, OK, and Florida. The farther away I get from San Jose, the better for my psyche. And from what I've been hearing, the 460 may not that be that bad of an engine, although I am not familiar with that engine at all. Today, I finally plan to check out the unit. The seller is gonna spend a couple hours with me familiarizing me with the RV.
Sorry to hear your situation .May God Bless you and your family.The 460 is a great engine.My friend was a ford mechanic for many yrs and raced 460,s ,He say,s that they are a great engine ,i have one in my Damon intruder and i spoke to him about it before i bought it
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #56

Quote:
PROBLEM SOLVED. I think, lol. It's not the alternator. It's not the battery. Not sure, did someone here mention BELTS? So here's what happened. Mechanic opens the cover inside the MH to access engine. Says, "well, there's the alternator." Ok, fine. Then he adds "but there is no belt on the alternator." He looked and - nothing. Went under the MH and double checked. Yep, no belt. So that my friends, is what the problem was. The belt had broken and the alternator stopped working. He checked and said, "there's another belt that should be changed as it looks bad." So now I will start shopping for two belts. One is the serpentine, what is the other? And if it had no serpentine, how did I have power steering? And doesn't it also work the water pump? And the a/c, right? (but I didn't turn the a/c on)

EL
For sure if 1 is gone, replace them all, but also check all your coolant hoses. Nothing worse than leaving for a trip and blowing a hose 3-4 miles from home!