Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Our experience exactly. We never used the dump vents either. Using a dB app on my Iphone, I measured a 8+ dB drop between the 2 AC units.
We can now listen to the TV without the neighbors hearing it!
They silencers fit perfectly on both units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
As jmck1737 said, you can no longer use the direct air out of the AC when using these silencers. The air only runs through the ducts.

For us that wasn’t an issue because we never ran the AC that way. It didn’t cool any better and it was even noisier with the direct air open.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wonder if there is an reduction in the air intake when using this baffle? I wouldn't want to damage my new A/C units!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'm gonna join the Wackos! I ordered one today for my Dometic High-Capacity heat pump in the front area. If it's as good as claimed, I will probably order another one for the bedroom.

I did run into one minor problem. Our Windsor has a wood frame and grille and the size is 17 5/8" square. The Wacko is 17" square, so I will lack a little over 1/4" covering the indention created by the old frame. I'm hoping this won't be too noticeable.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
That's odd. The unit I purchased and installed was a perfect fit on the existing AC frame.
You guys that say it was a perfect fit would help us a lot more if you'd put what type of RV you have in your signature file. This is just good practice on a forum so everyone can see what equipment you have when you bring up an issue. It's kin of hard to give advice when we don't know which RV you have.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #19

It’s a 2006 Mandalay.

The original AC interior grill looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	248405
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #20

Hmm, I wonder if this is Apple to Oranges, but Waiter21 posted something a while back about the mod he did, although it was to improve air flow, not reduce the noise level.

Beat the heat – Improving air flow from the air conditioner ceiling unit – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Here's the IRV2 thread about the air flow, which I guess could impact the noise level as well....enjoy:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/anyon...ow-445638.html
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #21

Just installed it on a Dometic 15K. Yes, it's quieter, a LOT, and I love that, as I really hated the noise.

That said, we also did use the dump mode on occasion, especially when it is 95º outside and we're exposed to the sun 100% and the two AC's were working full time to keep up... (No trees). Although increased, I am not sure the flow out of the ducting will be as effective. So, the original cover is under the bed and if we can't keep it cool this summer I can put it back on in 15 minutes.

That said, I have also ordered a Magneshade to cut down on the heat gain in the cockpit so I'm optimistic it will all be a wash and that we'll be able to keep it cool with reduced noise.

We'll see.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:41 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It’s a 2006 Mandalay.

The original AC interior grill looks like this:

Attachment 248405
Yes, that is the Dometic Unit same as ours. They also make a cover for the Coleman Units. Ours fit like a glove and even looks better. sleeker and more modern. I can get a pick later this morning if anyone is interested.

I am not sure you could easily swap them out since the tape would have to be reinstalled to cover the hole. I guess we could carry some extra foil tape to recover the hole.

Overall though I think it was a worthwhile upgrade for noise reduction.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #23

Has anyone tried this on a Coleman Mach without the direct vents? My Minnie Winnie is ducted only. It's noisier than I'd like, but I have no idea how much of the noise is due to the grate itself. It looks like this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...59737242026989

Edit--

I've looked at these things before, and never pulled the trigger. Wacko claims it's still quieter, but it looks like it has way less flow area than what I already have, so that doesn't make sense.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
In my emails to them, they claimed the airflow is the same or better with the cover. Their filter seems to be a better design for air flow in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
In my emails to them, they claimed the airflow is the same or better with the cover. Their filter seems to be a better design for air flow in my opinion.
A claim they can't make. All depends on the efficiency of your ducting. If it's restrictive the flow WILL be less versus dump.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
The same or better than what? Sorry, I couldn't tell who you were responding to, but I'm hoping it was me. Mine is a Coleman Mach 15 ducted. I haven't pulled the intake grate, but the stock grate itself looks to be very high-flow.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #27
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Quieter intake would certainly be nice, but I wouldn't be willing to give up the direct vent feature. If you need to quickly cool a hot coach, the direct vent is the way to go!

X2...
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I too have installed one on my front a/c. Couldn't be happier. As to cost, there is an outfit in Ormond Beach that builds custom models for around $300.00. Waco works great and price is good as well.
J2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote