Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I was already reaching for my credit card. Then I saw they were only for ducted systems. :-(

I replaced the front A/C a couple of years back with a 15K Coleman and it's so noisy we rarely even use it.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #30

Seems to defy the laws of physics! You put more mass in the path of the airflow and you get better airflow. Who are they kidding? One manufacturer states definitely don't use any flow restricting devices, especially if just to reduce noise. Wait until it's 100+ degrees and see what happens to airflow. You might just want to pull them off...at least when it's really hot.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #31

I've been playing with the a/c duct, so far I've reduced the noise by several db, and lowered the frequency substantially. That's probably what the Wacko product does. (They need to change the name though, sounds like one of those junk products they sell on tv)
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #32

Why not simply cover up the dump area with tape and a thin metal plate and replace original Dometic cover? Just a thought!
rvingpals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I received the Wacko for the Dometic ducted system yesterday. Our coach has the hinged pull-down wood covers and this unit won't fit! It is made for the covers with the sliding dump ports! It looks like I can just screw the plate directly to the ceiling. I will be calling them tomorrow!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for the information
Sojourners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #35

Thanks for the tip .. Whenever we get everything solved with our 5th wheel problems that will be one of the first items for our new 5th wheel. Got the web site and probably will install it in our bedroom as we have 2 a/c's then install another one next year for the living area of the 5th wheel.

Again, Thanks!!!!
RVing family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingpals View Post
Why not simply cover up the dump area with tape and a thin metal plate and replace original Dometic cover? Just a thought!
Did that, put a piece of plywood inside max dump area, and sealed up with tape. Big reduction in sound because I believe air passing over that vent to the remote vents causes the noise. But bought the Wacko, which not only closes up the that vent, but directs the intake air from that area, past a couple of sound absorbing pads to the regular input. Stupid expensive for two simple pressed plastic pieces, but the 5 db reduction in sound is worth it to me.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #37

big stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I installed the Wacko silencer on my Dometic a/c with similar results. I am extremely happy with the reduced noise. There is no longer a need to crank the tv volume up when the a/c kicks on. Yes they may be what some consider pricey, but I'm willing to pay an entrepreneur for their ideas. Especially when those ideas are manufactured in the USA and actually work as advertised
Tom
way to go MoCoTom! I Am also proud to support made in the USA Salute!
big stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:39 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Along with the noise reduction I forgot the most important thing - momma loves how much quieter it is. And we all know if momma is happy, we are happy!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:47 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
Along with the noise reduction I forgot the most important thing - momma loves how much quieter it is. And we all know if momma is happy, we are happy!

Ditto!

We only installed ours on the A/C in the living area, as during the night we only need one A/C on (which is the living area one). Peaceful for watching TV and so much quieter for sleeping. During the day when we would need the second A/C no one is in the bedroom anyway.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #40

The Wacko really works! The noise reduction is very real. We have 2 a/c units, a Coleman Mach 15 and a Coleman Mach 3. Both are ducted.

After installing the Wacko on the Mach 15 in the living area, I immediately ordered another one for the Mach 3 in the bedroom.

Yes, they are expensive, but in the greater scheme of things it's money well spent. I still have the old covers just in case the air flow is not up to 95 degree days. However, with 2 a/c units in a fully ducted system, I don't think it will be a problem. Besides, I could not find a better alternative.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandCL View Post
Seems to defy the laws of physics! You put more mass in the path of the airflow and you get better airflow. Who are they kidding? One manufacturer states definitely don't use any flow restricting devices, especially if just to reduce noise. Wait until it's 100+ degrees and see what happens to airflow. You might just want to pull them off...at least when it's really hot.

There is no additional mass in the air path, but there is better sealing of the new air path.

When I fired up the AC after the first install, I immediately noticed that there was a little more air flow coming out of the ceiling vents. That’s because the old “direct cool” air path is now completely sealed. A lot of the noise in the original install was air leaking around the direct flow vent when it was closed.

We never used the “direct cool” feature because it was REALLY noisy in that mode and it didn’t cool any better than running the air through the ceiling ducts.

As for your comment about the air flow dropping at 100 degrees, that defies the laws of physics. Air flow is the same for us no matter what the temperature is.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #42

Mine is coming UPS today! I can't wait for the trial because our A/C is just about over the dinette and you can't enjoy a meal, listen to music or watch TV when the A/C is running. These new units are crazy loud.