Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

I know: need recommendation-tiffin allegro bus, newmar mountainaire , american coach

I know this is going to start an owner dispute, but we need solid advice. We are down to wire on placing a order and just can decide in the 450-600k range which coach is best. I know about all the frills for each, comfort steer. We can find a plan in any that will suit, but which is best pulling a stalker with Harley's and vw and quality that will last till we upgrade? Please help!!!!need folks to respond with the bad and ugly, not off comment please. Should I go to 500hp or fine with 450hp!
redalertsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Which do you like the best? More important which does the DW like the best?

If you like the floor plan any will be fine. There are many opinions about the "best" unit which is generally the brand owned by the opinionator.

We pull an 12,000 lb stacker with a 450 and have sufficient power. The entire unit is in the 50,000 lb range.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Start with the floorplan you like and feel you will be comfortable with.. Then find that floorplan and match it to your horsepower choice. It seems 450 is plenty for most folks. There are horse power junkies out there who like the extra push. Nice to have it when you need it than to wish for it when you need it. I would then research consumer satisfaction with the manufacturer. This forum is a great place for that.. Everyone has a favorite Manufacturer much like sports teams. Its personal all the brands you mentioned have pros and cons. At the end of the day the one that best fits your needs will become your favorite.
After much reading in these very forums. Dw and i are pulling the trigger on a 2015/16 Entegra Cornerstone. Our first and last. Newmar was a close runner up and may still be a contender when i can tour a LA. Im very happy with Entegra and their commitment to the consumer. I work in parts at an RV Dealership. I see all the flaws in all the brands from the top Dogs down the line.. No matter what anyone might tell you... All brands have their QC issues. Its the nature of the build process.
Good luck in your search. From a tent to a prevost... Its all good.

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 20..something CornerStone 44B
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #4

Thank you sir, and we are moving from a fifth wheel, into coach. We want to spend what we need to for quality and skip tier 1 and 2, saving 3-4 for retirement. We like the l sofa with opposing recliner and TV . All Manu seem to accomodate. I am looking for solid build and towing capacity. I don't care about extra power as we are learning, but I don't want to overload. We loved the entegra anthem, but it and newmar seemed to have lighter exterior doors, and the American coach had a plastic shower! The tiffin seemed solid, but it concerns me they build 12 coaches a day. How do you expect fewer qc issues building that many???? We want to spend more money now and not worry for 5 years. Even a zephyr is in the hunt. Just so confusing in all honesty and a lot of money we are spending to make a mistake . Thank you both for your replies. Eyes and ears wide open.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Have you thought of a used Prevost? Quality and horsepower in your liking.
My friend likes to go with used ones and spends between 3-400,000. His latest is a 2005 and was in beautiful condition.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Which one has Aqua-Hot, Air leveling and heated floors and HD Satellite?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #7

Mine will...

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 20..something CornerStone 44B
Old 11-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Those are all fine coaches, each with a few features and strengths that the other may lack. Buy the one with the fewest things that offend you. For example, you seemed to feel the shower in the AC was unacceptable - I guess you are expecting tile? In any case, make lists of the pluses and minuses of each model you are considering and weigh the balance.

I have an AC and would seriously consider the Mountainaire too. The Buses are usually a bit lesser in small ways, but also slightly less expensive (none of them are cheap, but some are more upscale than others). You need to get down to details to spot the differences, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The nice thing with a budget upto $600k you should be able to price the London Aire or Essex on a Spartan K3 chassis with Steerable Tag. Both Freightliner and Spartan are being offered on high end Newmars.

The previous poster was correct that all new RVs have bugs. So look carefully at the quality of Customer Service that backs up your purchase.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not to discourage you but with any coach MFG chassis, if their is a defect or to heavy stacker being pulled this maybe the result because of to heavy tongue weight..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All the brands you noted make fine coaches and will have large enough diesels to pull what you want...be sure to check tow capacity. Some have 10k some have 15k ratings, mine has 15k.

Over all key factor in this class is floor plan, get the one you (DW) like.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get the one that you and your wife like the best. It is your money. If you have to ask other peoples opinion then you are not satisfied with the ones you have picked out. KEEP LOOKING.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #13

All three are fine coaches. I'd be sure you get a Tag model, assume so with what you will be towing. I would also go for the largest engine you could get. Not just for the ease of what towing, and probably better MPG while doing so then with a mid size block engine, but more so for the added compression of the Jake Brake. Some of these with the Big Block have 3 Stage vs 2 Stage. And, as I'm not real up on the Tiffen, confirm that it has Jake Compression vs Exhaust braking. For any mountain driving combinations while towing a medium to heavy load - that BIG BLOCK compression braking will be a real safety advantate.

My personal preference would be Newmar, AC, then Tiffen - of those three. I feel the build and component quality of the Newmar and AC are pretty much on par with each other, I just seem to like the Newmar interiors a bit more. But, those are all personal preferences. If the Tiffen is on their new chassis, that could be a god thing, as the designer was involved with the WRV Peek (or Peak?) chassis that came in the Alpine coaches.

Mountain Aire used to have a ISM option, not sure if the do now or not. I would not turn down an ISX, but would prefer the ISM.

You seem to be looking to order what you want, but if it did not have a Big Block engine option - possibly look at gently used with one. And if looking used, I personally would want to drop years to get below DEF requirements. BUT - IT AIN'T MY $$!

So, best of luck to you, and have fun on whatever ou choose,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #14

Thank you Smitty and others, all great advice. I only commented about the fiberglass shower in the AC Tradition as w have an Infinity Fifth Wheel with the same. When you walk into any of these coaches and know you are spending in excess of 350k, you would think they would out in a nicer shower.

Someone commented about looking at the details, and I did and have a few more questions and observations for this great team of advisors here.

I opened all the basement doors, and I found the doors on the dutchstar were lighter weight, would not close by slamming and gas hinges didn't seem to be up to the tiffin bus or the ac tradition. That may change if I went to the mountainaire or Londonaire I guess. But, the Gerard awnings on the AC were far superior to the Tiffin Allegro Bus and got to see them perform on a windy day, AC and newmar hands down.

Finally, I did not mention Entegra, but have seen some additional comments on Anthem and Cornerstone and wondering should I keep them in hunt? The only reason I discounted them, was the DW!!!!!! Something in the coach she did not like, never understood, maybe colors. So I got to go watch the DW compare coaches ONE MORE TIME.

Thanks everyone, big help!

Tags
newmar, tiffin