Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 03:30 AM   #1

I know nothing about

Motorhomes I have lived in a jayco tt in the past and got tired of fixing it and got rid of it after 4months with my mother in law I bought this mh the other day

tips comments and suggestions are apprecited..

This is the one I bought.

https://www.copart.com/lot/48977190/...ome-tx-el-paso
Ditchmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 04:27 AM   #2

You sold a motorhome after only 4 months because you were tired of fixing it and now you are talking about buying a motorhome at auction in Texas, where many motorhomes have went up for auction due to flood damage in the last couple of years.

Hmm, I worry I see history repeating itself.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchmagnet View Post
Motorhomes I have lived in a jayco tt in the past and got tired of fixing it and got rid of it after 4months with my mother in law I bought this mh the other day

well you got a fixer upper.. ..as afar as that RV, I have littile experience ..
I would check tires, that old, low miles, may be originals and that means , cracks and unsafe..

You will have to hunt for some parts up front,, then have them boded in place and the front re painted,, Cant see behind cracks in damabe but I would say some structure is tweekd, minor..

Clean it up, look and replace slide gaskets, top covers etc... looks like it needs an awning..

I hope you got it for the bid price shown +fees etc... then you have to reregister the vehicle.. not sure how your state works..

If you keep to tight budget and have some luck you should have a nice machine..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
You sold a motorhome after only 4 months because you were tired of fixing it and now you are talking about buying a motorhome at auction in Texas, where many motorhomes have went up for auction due to flood damage in the last couple of years.

Hmm, I worry I see history repeating itself.
I THINK what he said was that after four months living with his mother in law (I assume living in her house) that he bought a motorhome. Which leads me to believe that working on an RV is the lesser evil as compared to living with MIL.

The pictures make the interior look like it's in decent shape, but of course there are lots of things you can't tell from a picture. Hopefully it's as nice as it looks.
It's clearly got what appears to be accident damage in two locations, so some fixing up is in order. That however could be just cosmetic and it's driveable/usable.

You need to make sure it's safe to drive and water tight to prevent damage. Check the slideout seals for leaks, check the roof for leaks (actually just go ahead and reseal things up there and be done with it for a while), check the tires for cracks or other damage and check their age. Learn about air brake systems and verify that everything there is working as it should. Then it's time to make sure all the house systems work as they should.
After you've got it safe, water tight and functional then start working on the exterior.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:18 AM   #5

Welcome aboard.
Looks like a viable project. Wish you well and please keep us posted on your progress.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wow...if you got tired of fixing a Jayco TT, do you really think that a wrecked motorhome is going to be easier? Not quite sure I am following your logic.....good luck!
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #7

Are you planning on driving this thing or just live in it? There is a lot more to a motorhome than a travel trailer.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #8

I bought mine as something of a project but I could at least drive it home. I have to wonder why the slides are out when it is on an auction lot. I've been to a couple of Copart auctions and have never seen slides out. There also seems to be damage at the rear which is not clearly pictured.

All I can really say is that you certainly seem to have jumped off into the deep end of the pool. It seems to have potential if the price was right.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ditchmagnet --

The motorhome you purchased definitely defines "fixer upper". If the "only" work required is repairing/replacing the front end cap, replacing damaged rear storage compartment, replacing carpeting, bedding, etc. inside your cost may be less than purchasing a better condition coach.

The photo of the radiator / VIN plate shows the radiator to be very dirty which makes me wonder how well the chassis side of the motorhome was maintained (the chassis is the engine, transmission, suspension, tires, wheels, fuel tank, etc.). If any of those items are in poor condition and need major repair / replacement, your "fixer upper" costs will increase dramatically.

Keep the forum updated on your fixer upper efforts. Forum members are always willing to provide help anytime!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchmagnet View Post

Punctuation contributes to clarity and meaning. As it is, your question or comment is undecipherable.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
Wow...if you got tired of fixing a Jayco TT, do you really think that a wrecked motorhome is going to be easier? Not quite sure I am following your logic.....good luck!
This.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

It sounds like you've bought yourself a long-term "project". Hope you have deep pockets!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #13

Missing a line here , so I had a jayco for 2 years and it was a terrible unit, I got got rid of it 4 months ago and moved in with my mother in law, now I just bought the one at auction as I thought right under 5k was worth it .
Old 10-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
That jayco looked nice but what a piece of junk it was a 2018 338rets zero storage and way to many things to list as far as repairs,

I'm thinking this one cant be too bad well see Monday when it gets here, what's the deal with air brakes and other stuff ,

Do slides operate off just batteries or if batteries are bad can I plug it in to a wall and then open and close them etc

I was thinking live it in for a year and fix it up a bit then buy some land and put it there and maybe build on the land i never larger place..