Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #1

I need a 50 amp surge protector

I dont know crap about electrical stuff but I want to get a 50 amp surge protector for my class A motor home.

Can you tell me and link me to a good one through amazon Plz. ?
RJ8450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #2

Look at this

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-3...7321205&sr=8-8

Others will also provide links and thoughts on similar items.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hello RJ8450

If you want something portable:

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...s%2C234&sr=8-1

If you prefer to have a permanent installation, done by someone else since you declared yourself 'electrically unfit'

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-E...s%2C234&sr=8-4
Pol6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

Southwire 34950 Surge Guard - Full Protection Portable with LCD Display, 50A,

Camco 50 Amp RV Power Defender Voltage Protector/Monitor with Integrated Surge Protection
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #5

My coach came with the Surge Guard 50Amp hard wired in the system. I ordered the Progressive 50 Amp portable that way I can check the power before I plug in, it gives a read out on how good the power is or if there is a problem before I plug in. For a portable https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...aps,234&sr=8-1 is worth the money.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
My coach came with the Surge Guard 50Amp hard wired in the system. I ordered the Progressive 50 Amp portable that way I can check the power before I plug in, it gives a read out on how good the power is or if there is a problem before I plug in. For a portable https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...aps,234&sr=8-1 is worth the money.
2 stroker

I seen this a few times and was looking hard at it. Question is How does this tell me how good the power is?

What should I be looking for?
RJ8450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #7

Do they have to cost $300?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You basically get what you pay for. A Progressive Industries EMS is an energy management system that monitors over voltage, under voltage, miswired pedestals as well as surge protection. The cheaper ones only protect against surges.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #9

I bought a 50 Amp Hughes Autoformer Power Watchdog Bluetooth Smart RV Surge Protector with Automatic Shut Off (Emergency Power Off) - Hardwired Version from Camping World. With available discount at the time it was $227 delivered. I like is because it has a field replaceable surge protector module, so if it blows to protect the rig I can open the case and put in a replacement right there. The replacement was about $30 if I recall correctly. I carry one with me. They also make a portable version of this if you don't want to have it built in, as well as 30A versions of both hardwired and portable.

Also, it transmits via BlueTooth to my phone the power status whenever I want it. It's nice to be able to see what's happening with the power I'm feeding into the coach and using. Below is an actual screenshot of my phone using the Hughes app reporting on what was happening in my coach electrically at that moment. I'm very happy with this unit so far.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo-h/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hughes screenshot.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	323480  
Old 04-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I bought a 50 Amp Hughes Autoformer Power Watchdog Bluetooth Smart RV Surge Protector with Automatic Shut Off (Emergency Power Off) - Hardwired Version from Camping World. With available discount at the time it was $227 delivered. I like is because it has a field replaceable surge protector module, so if it blows to protect the rig I can open the case and put in a replacement right there. The replacement was about $30 if I recall correctly. I carry one with me. They also make a portable version of this if you don't want to have it built in, as well as 30A versions of both hardwired and portable.

Also, it transmits via BlueTooth to my phone the power status whenever I want it. It's nice to be able to see what's happening with the power I'm feeding into the coach and using. Below is an actual screenshot of my phone using the Hughes app reporting on what was happening in my coach electrically at that moment. I'm very happy with this unit so far.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo-h/
I have this 50 amp in the portable version. Love the Bluetooth display. They will provide a free module if the original blows in first two years.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 on the Hughes Autoformer Power Watchdog. I have the portable version as well, and have had no issues. I think they have upped the number of free module replacements to three in a two years. But I may be wrong on that, so check it.

The app makes it pretty easy to pair the device with your phone, and gives a fairly good display of how much juice you are using. We tested by firing up the microwave, and the app immediately showed the increase.
dwirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the Progressive Industries HW50C or PT50X, depending on whether you want a portable or hardwired unit.

They protect you against any kind of AC problem, not just surges! Expect to pay $300-$350, but well worth the money. Lifetime warranty!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8450 View Post
I seen this a few times and was looking hard at it. Question is How does this tell me how good the power is?

What should I be looking for?

Not trying to be smart but read the manual, heck on most of them read the front of the unit. There are indicator lights. In one configuration everything will be OK in any other configuration it will point you to a particular problem.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My thoughts on portable vs hardwired. Both.

I have Progressive Industries hardwired full EMS. Plus Hughes Watchdog surge only portable at the pedistal.

Belt and suspenders surge protection.

If a surge large enough to do damage to the units, hopefully the external will protect all in coach. If the hardwired also gets damaged, I'd be glad to have had double protection.

Can get basic check of pedistal - right at the pedistal or before even putting the coach on the site.

As for a malfunction of the hardwired, the Progresduve EMS has a bypass switch. Disables all the checking/gating functions.

In the pisibility of theft - the portable surge only is less costly than the full EMS. Protection remains.

Additionally I carry wire cable blocks that would allow me to readily physically remove the hardware EMS or transfer switch from the circuit if need be. If need to remove for service I still have the portable fir surge protection.

Any surge only portable can be used. The Hughes provides Bluetooth app for voltage and amps on my phone. Readings o don't otherwise have in my coach.

Imho. Ymmv.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote