Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Marc, to extend the drive at the culvert over the ditch, I’d have to extend the culvert and add asphalt, and probably take out a couple trees. For the second turn in toward the gate then no problem; it’s about 4 feet of grass from the asphalt to the treeline on the inside. BTW we think we can do a ‘test drive’ in the next few days with a 38 footer. Also, the inside of the U turn is right at 37 feet from road stripe (nearest my drive) to bend drawing a line inside of gate post. Hank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
NXR Ray, looking at your diagram using 72 feet curb to curb I would just fit with exact turning. Taking my 51ft and adding 20ft for the road gives me 71 feet on asphalt, and I have a few feet of overhang in grassy area. Very interesting. I’d have to really utilize the 20ft wide entrance to make that 72 ft. Thank you. Hank
Old 10-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #31

Since you turn into your driveway by making a right turn, as others have suggested start your turn on the left side of the road. It's a dead end, so presumably not much traffic, but even if there was, just wait for a break, then take the road over.

The front axle is set very far back, so you can hang the driver's seat over the grass with the left steer tire still on pavement. From the pictures, it looks like there's nothing but room for that.

But if you have to back up and hit it again to avoid putting the rear tire where you don't want it to go, then start the turn a little later so the rear axle is closer to being in line with the driveway, cut hard left and back up a little, then cut right and continue on.

Looks very doable from here.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankK View Post
On my computer all of the pics were correct. On Ipad all are turned. Sorry. Hank
you shouldn't have a problem getting a 30-38 footer in there. You'll have to take a wide turn. But I guarantee you if your ingress off of the main road is 30 ft wide.....I can get my 43 footer in there.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
My wife and I are window shopping Class A’s but have a dilemma. Our driveway has a entrance with a U turn into a gate and are not sure if a 30-38 foot Class A will make the turn even with a possible 2 point turn. We have a crew cab long bed pulling a 34 ft trailer and can make the turn, but not the same. We live near Hooks Airport in north Houston,TX and could use a test motorhome. The rental places will rent only for 3 day minimum. Is there anyone in north Houston (Spring/Tomball) with such a Class A willing to do an experiment for us? I am not sure how to be reached? PM, email? Also open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Hank
I have a feeling you'll be fine. My coach ('21 New Aire 3545) has a 60-degree cut on the front wheels (Freighliner). I suspect that's normal. Even pulling a TOAD, my wife gasps at the places I go without getting trapped. For example, this spot is a quick 3-point turn to wedge it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7110.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	347202  
Old 10-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #34

I need a driveway test Class A

Quote:
Google earth pic

Attachment 347142

That will be an easy corner to make in most any RV. As you mentioned the road ahead of you is a dead end. Just start the turn wide to the left in the oncoming lane if you’re really worried. Once you do it a few times you will find it easy to navigate staying in your own lane.

I dont see an issue based on the overhead picture you posted.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcbaker View Post
I have a feeling you'll be fine. My coach ('21 New Aire 3545) has a 60-degree cut on the front wheels (Freighliner). I suspect that's normal. Even pulling a TOAD, my wife gasps at the places I go without getting trapped. For example, this spot is a quick 3-point turn to wedge it in.

Love that picture. Coach is beautiful and looks great parked right there.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:48 AM   #36

You don’t say if your trailer is a tag along, but the distance from the ball to the mid point between your axles would be an equivalent wheel base for turning. Just looking at your pictures I don’t see much problem.
An extension of the pipe under the driveway and some crusher run wouldn’t cost much and that would give you a margin of error. Then just some tree pruning.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #37

Just an FYI on pictures in order that they show properly oriented on “i” (and may be other) devices -

Edit the picture in some way - crop, mark-up, something, then Save. Then load the Saved picture to IRV2.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Rssnape, yes my trailer is bumper pull using a Hensley hitch. 34 ft trailer on a truck over 22 ft long makes it longer than the coaches we are looking at. But the wheelbases are different. Today an ‘RV driver’ from a dealer came by looked and said ‘no problem’. I am still hoping to do a “test drive” with the real thing tomorrow. I appreciate all of the responses. Hank
Old 10-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Love that picture. Coach is beautiful and looks great parked right there.
...that's good, because that thing ain't' never gettin' outta there!
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #40

My big question is do you have a place to turn around once you are in, personally I don't think getting in will be a problem though I would certainly be aware of that keypad post.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcbaker View Post
Our coach, also on an FL chassis, has the same wheel 60* wheel cut. I can turn it around in noticeably less space than I could turn the Winnie, with its shorter wheelbase and length. So, for the OP, whether you can make that turn will have a lot to do with the wheelbase and wheel cut, and perhaps tail swing. It's not entirely about coach length.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Update: Yesterday we were able to test drive a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35E diesel which is actually 37 feet long. Our driver pulled it in the first time with room to spare. We went down the drive to our house where we have a ‘T’ in the drive to the garage. With only a 2 point maneuver the coach was turned around ready to head out. (Thanks Isaac) It was close to the keypad post coming in and going out (tailswing), but the turn seemed easy with extra clearance front and back. Many thanks to all, this helped a lot! We are still looking at the 2017 Tiffin 32SA, but that Excursion diesel was nice. Again thanks, now we know for sure we can proceed. Hank

Tags
class a, test