Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
I need help and advice

Living a nightmare. Three days ago, I broke down in Portland Or, (south), and Good Sam roadside assistance was less than stellar. But, eventually they got me hooked up with a mechanic, who after describing the symptoms to him said there wasn't any point in him coming out and charging me 330 bucks. I needed a tow. He and GS talked, and I waited hours and hours for someone to show up. Well, long story short, GS wouldn't pay the bill to the recommended guy down the road, so I wouldn't get towed, but the kicker is GS told me they didn't have the right equipment. After calling the company myself and getting the skinny, I called GS and they again tried their story, but I called BS. They paid for the tow to this guys shop. Turns out it is NOT a dealership but some shadetree one man show in really sketchy area. I am stranded in a lot full of broken trucks, sandpiles, and heaps of old junk overgrown with weeds..

So the guy does his diagnostics, and determines my CAP pump is bad and wants 5900.oo for the part, plus labor. Again I call GS extended service plan, and they are calling BS. They insist on sending an inspector to verify diagnosis, which is OK, but they may not show till Monday. The Mechanic says he doesn't care what they say, he won't just replace a part, but will only do the whole assembly. GS says they don't care what the mechanic says, they won't replace parts unnecessarily. I'm in the middle and my choices are either tow to another facility and start the process over again, or come up with whatever this guy is extorting me for.

Did you know GS only pays meals and lodging based on the number of hours allotted for repair? At 8.5 hours you get 100 bucks to eat and sleep for the day. I am already out of my home for three days. I may get two extra days, depending upon when the inspector shows up.

Today, I go out and find my coach stone DEAD, and on checking the batteries, the chassis is 7 volts and my lithiums are also at 7 volts.. He says he will replace the interstate chassis batteries, but too bad about the 2000 dollar llithiums.. hopefully the bms stopped them from getting damaged.

So, the question is: I'm pretty certain the inspector will say that the whole assy does not need to be changed out. And, I am equally certain the guy is going to keep my keys until I put in a new assy. Nearest cummins dealer is about 30 miles away, unlikely GS will pay for another tow.

Anyone have any thoughts? Remember this guy came from Good Sam Roadside Assistance.. GS has not been very helpful. I called customer support and got some glad talk and a promise that someone will call me back. Did not happen, of course.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the mechanic is experienced he is probably right on the CAPS fuel injection pump. This is a relatively high frequency replacement item on the Cummins engine.

This can be caused by the fuel transfer pump leaking and not providing appropriate pressure/flow to the fuel pump. Once the damage is done to the CAPS fuel injector system it's pretty much a done deal.

Sounds like you are in a rock and a hard place. For now I'd wait until the GS guy gets there.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
this is good information, thank you. The lift pump was replaced by cummins in april last year.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If the mechanic is experienced he is probably right on the CAPS fuel injection pump. This is a relatively high frequency replacement item on the Cummins engine.

This can be caused by the fuel transfer pump leaking and not providing appropriate pressure/flow to the fuel pump. Once the damage is done to the CAPS fuel injector system it's pretty much a done deal.

Sounds like you are in a rock and a hard place. For now I'd wait until the GS guy gets there.
Fro I would definitely wait until the inspector gets there! If you don't follow the service contract exactly as it is written you will not get it covered. Hopefully the guy knows what he is talking about. Regards
Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
$5900 for a CAPS pump is about $2900 to much. I just had one replaced at a Cummins shop in West Sacramento and the total bill was right at $7,000. I did have a couple of other things fixed which totaled about $800. Labor amounted to pretty much 1/2 of the total bill

The reason they do not just replace a "part" is that there will be no warranty. If the entire pump is replaced, then you will get a warranty, not much. A year and 100,000 miles.

Believe me, you do not want the pump piece parted. If another part fails, then you back into it for another big labor charge
Old 01-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #6

5999.00 is parts and labor, or labor would be on top of the 5999.00? If that includes labor then it sounds about right. Correct dons?

Jake
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

https://community.fmca.com/topic/718...fuel-injector/
Old 01-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
made decision..

I went directly to the cummins dealer yesterday and got some information. They said the rebuilt pump, which is all there is in Portland, only costs 4088.41, plus a core charge of 1125 that is returned to me when core is inspected. They can have it out of the shop in 8 hours. Parts and labor are warrantied for 100,000 miles/1 year at any cummins facility nationwide. Unfortunately, they said they will not deal with Good Sam because of being burned too many times by them. i.e. authorizing repairs, and then reniging payment because they did not inspect repaired parts.

Since I didn't know the injector part that the mechanic said he also needed to replace, which cost another 1200, I couldn't verify that cost. I figured he was going to bill me for about 8K in parts only. I was surprised by the core charge, but not surprised the mechanic failed to mention it was refundable.

Had to wait and see what the inspector said, the arrived yesterday afternoon.
He spent several hours looking things over, and at the end of the day, he tells me "this guy is an arrogant bastard", "there is no way I can come up with 20.5 hours in labor". Any warranty work would not be covered by Good Sam and would need to be between me and the mechanic. In a frank and private discussion, I was told it would be unlikely that any part of this claim would be paid due to the exorbitant estimate. Between the lines, he was telling me to get the hell out of there, LOL.

To me, I was being held hostage and being extorted, so it just confirmed a decision to retow to a Cummins Dealership to be a sound one. Good Sam will have the inspectors report, so it should grease the skids a bit when I have the coach re-diagnosed.

Good sam roadside assistance authorized a retow to the Cummins dealership and since I didn't know how to get to this guys so I gave them his number. He convinced them that he was an authorized cummings shop and was capable of the repairs so they denied the tow. I tried to argue, but to no avail. I arranged for my own tow and it is now in the correct facility. The guy even stayed an extra 2 hours waiting for us,.. Hopefully, I will be on the road TUESDAY !!! YAY !!

Shaumus Cummins was NOT happy when told his services would not be required. Lots of empty promises,.. but he did try to bill 500 for his "services and computer fees",.. He took 280 cash and called it good. So, Good sam's mistake by towing me to Shamus Cummins, an independent diesel mechanic, instead of an actual Cummins repair facility has cost me over a week in lost travel, a week hotel costs,$ 280 in extortion fees, and a $850 dollar tow fee.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think GS promises to tow you to an "authorized Cummins facility". Just to a shop qualified to make the repairs. This guy sounds to be qualified, but perhaps over-priced. That's a different issue, though.

If the Cummins dealer shop is quoting $4000 + core charge for a rebuilt injector pump, the other guys $5900 may not be out of line if he is quoting a new (not rebuilt) part. Of course, he may have been planning on installing a rebuild all along.

I think you did the right thing getting out of there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you're having the rig taken to Cummins NW in Portland be aware that they broke one Koni shock and damaged another plus broke one interior door on my rig. Cost was around $500 to fix and naturally they denied doing the damage but my pictures and their intake report verify that they did the damage there. The two shocks that they damaged are out of production so I had to settle for the older adjustable ones rather than the FSD's that were on it.
Could have forced the issue but my late DW had liver cancer and I just didn't have the time nor energy to take it to small claims court.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What a mess! I sure hope I don't ever find myself in that kind of situation!
This makes me question my decision to stay with GS!

Hope you get it all worked out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Please keep us posted on the final outcome in regards to diagnostics, parts and labor required.

The 20.5 hours does not sound that outrageous when you look at what is involved in changing the pump. It is not an easy job to take out and to replace. Also, parts will require 2 people so this adds to the hours.

FYI, I went through a similar issue back in 2015 when road debris took out my radiator. I had AAA roadside and they just asked where to take the rig and I told them Cummins. Once I got it to Cummins I was able see the damage and turned it into my insurance. Cummins estimate was $7900. The insurance company balked at it and sent out an adjuster but ultimately agreed on the cost. Since I had run my coolant out and had to use water to move the rig, and potentially damaged the water pump they agree to a new water pump, thermostat, and coolant flush replace. My deductible was $1000 so I go a check of $6900.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #13
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
They got me in this morning and put a master mechanic on the case. Long story short,.. THE PUMP IS GOOD !! and most likely the lift pump Fargo Cummins replace last April was good also.. This guy found a small plastic cap in the fuel line causing a restriction. The shop manager said all was up to specs and I am good to go. they did find Fargo had overfilled the oil, and recommended dropping a couple quarts and changing the filters. Sounds reasonable to me. It was already getting dark, and I am settled into a hotel, so will wait till tomorrow to get underway again

I don't have a clue what the bill is going to be, but even at 6 or 8 hours labor, it is better than replacing a pump and fighting GS service plan..

I have NO complaints about this facility, and would recommend them to anyone needing help.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Wow this is a terrible story. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Thank god the resolution was better then a complete replacement. It has to be cheaper.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, need help