Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

I need help bad 2000 National Dolphin

I think I just made a major error. I hope someone can help. I have a 2000, 36' National Dolphin. I was attempting to wire in a new backup camera. I tapped a positive connection from a wire going to the OH Fan switch. It also goes on to the mirror defog and controls. I was going through a toggle switch with the ground coming from the chassis. I now realize I must have created a dead short. That complete R/H Panel is dead, as well as my jack controls. Unfortunatly I have it jacked up so I can't take it to have it checked out.

I check all of the fuses on the main panel in the basement and they all check out. Does anyone know of and fusable links or other fuses somewhere? I am at my wits end. Of course no one seems to know anything about National Dolphins around here. Any Ideas out there????

Thanks,
Doug
boeingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingair View Post
I think I just made a major error. I hope someone can help. I have a 2000, 36' National Dolphin. I was attempting to wire in a new backup camera. I tapped a positive connection from a wire going to the OH Fan switch. It also goes on to the mirror defog and controls. I was going through a toggle switch with the ground coming from the chassis. I now realize I must have created a dead short. That complete R/H Panel is dead, as well as my jack controls. Unfortunatly I have it jacked up so I can't take it to have it checked out.

I check all of the fuses on the main panel in the basement and they all check out. Does anyone know of and fusable links or other fuses somewhere? I am at my wits end. Of course no one seems to know anything about National Dolphins around here. Any Ideas out there????

Thanks,
Doug

On the board with the fuses, is there a red light on?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

i think you may have to look for the reset type fuses it may have not reset
may mirror defog and controls where on one

its a lager looking fuses with a still cover on it they go form 5 to 30 amps
the one you may be looking for is going to be a 5 or 10

i am guessing mostly but i had the same thing happen when runing all new wire in my RV
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

I connected my backup kit to my radio power.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
On the board with the fuses, is there a red light on?

The reason I ask this question is, I had a fuse blow in my coach disabling the back half 12V systems, jack controller, etc. I visually checked all the fuses, all looked good, but there was a red light on the fuse panel. I pulled the fuses one by one and tested with a meter, and sure enough one was bad but LOOKED good. I replaced it and the red light went out, and all the problems were solved. The red light, apparently, is a bad fuse indicator.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #6

Have you checked in the house battery compartment, there are fuses there and also several larger fuse links at the house batteries, check those as well.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

As mentioned , test all fuses with a voltmeter or a test light, and keep digging I've found fuses in 10 different places in my coach, and don't overlook 12v circuit breakers, some are not self re-setting , they have a push pin on the side.
Good luck , and when it comes to electrical , I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingair View Post
....I think I just made a major error. I hope someone can help....
You're in the right place for help. Major error? I think not. Look around you. Smoke? Flames? No?...... not major. The worst thing you've done is blow a fuse. Chill.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
You're in the right place for help. Major error? I think not. Look around you. Smoke? Flames? No?...... not major. The worst thing you've done is blow a fuse. Chill.
TRUE, 100% true , a bit of a PIA, but not a major error.
BTW. as your digging around , make notes of every thing you find , and if you don't know what it is , take a picture , and post it . Members will help you identify things. The notes are for next time ; your back in school and yes there is a test, the next time you blow a fuse.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #10

You'll have major problems, only if you let all the smoke out of the wires. If the smoke stays in, you're fine.
Look for a fuse/breaker.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #11

Thanks for the encouragement. My biggest problem is not being able to lower the coach so I can get the other electrical checked out. I thought they would be on separate fuses since the house battery's operate the jacks. Any suggestions on how to power the jack control panel? I can not find any fuses where the house battery's are. They are under the entry step with the chassis battery.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My Dolphin is an '02, so I don't know how different yours is. My 12V fuse panel is in the basement bay on the passenger side ahead of the steps and just behind the wheel.

The fuse that blew and disabled MY jacks (along with half the lights in the coach) was the rightmost one in one of the rows and was right next to the little red light on the panel. If I recall, it was a 10A fuse.

If you post a picture of your fuse panel, at least I could tell if you have the same fuse panel.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #13

repair

Thanks to all for your encouragement and suggestions. It was, in fact, a 10 amp fuse on the fuse panel under the dash, on the drivers side. I had checked there before but because of the secondary cover, I could not see the fuses.

Thanks again,
I am up and running.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #14

I don't know what jack system you have, but mine has a manual release valve for each jack. Open the valve and the springs pull it up. These valves are located on the hydraulic power unit.
I'm glad you got your problem fixed.
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, national, dolphin