Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2020, 12:38 AM   #1

I think I've finally found the one

New member here, although I've been reading the posts and researching for a while now. I am looking for my first class-A, and decided on a diesel pusher as I will be towing a jeep and plan to see the entire United States in it.
After much research, I've decided on a Monaco, as it seems to have most of what I desire in a coach and they seem to be highly regarded for their build quality.

I've found a 2007 Monaco Camelot 36PDQ with approximately 35k miles on a Road master RR8 chassis, 400HP Cummins with a side radiator. The coach has been well cared for and looks like new, has new tires and house batteries and about every option offered for it.
I've downloaded the owners manual and have been studying it as well. Some questions I have are:

1-Are the wandering issues with the stock Monroe shocks a problem on all length road master chassis?

2-I've also read of the front windshield issues with twisting or excessive torque of the frame. Is that also an issue across all the chassis, or just the longer ones?

3-I have checked the engine serial number, and this ISL400 is not subject to the catastrophic failure recall. Anything else to check?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about or scrutinize prior to the completing this purchase.

Thanks everyone for any information or words of wisdom you can provide.
Ray
tinman 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2020, 12:57 AM   #2

I am not familiar with the coach although they seem to be popular.
That engine is barely run in. Should serve you well.
Suggest you stay away from the 650 hp. Have heard of several failures.
Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If the windshield has right angle corners and a “halo” support kit of the front cap has not been added, RUN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E5C5D30-335F-4388-872B-812AF9BB9F31.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	280117  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Are the wandering issues with the stock Monroe shocks a problem on all length road master chassis?

adding a safe T steering stabilizer will help
Old 04-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman 55 View Post
Is there anything else I should be concerned about or scrutinize prior to the completing this purchase.
With this coach being 13 years old now I'd look at and scrutinize all the rubber stuff. Hoses, belts, air bags, slide seals etc. etc. If I was buying this coach I would already be counting on replacing all the engine bay hoses and belts.

Have you test drove it yet?

Are you buying it from the original owner?

Here are some threads others have made on this coach in the past that may be helpful.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2007...earch=irv2.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
If the windshield has right angle corners and a “halo” support kit of the front cap has not been added, RUN.

Thank you for the info, I'll definitely check on that.
Ray
Old 04-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #7

Thank you, I'll look into that as well
Old 04-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
Are the wandering issues with the stock Monroe shocks a problem on all length road master chassis?

adding a safe T steering stabilizer will help

Thank you, i'll look into that
Old 04-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
With this coach being 13 years old now I'd look at and scrutinize all the rubber stuff. Hoses, belts, air bags, slide seals etc. etc. If I was buying this coach I would already be counting on replacing all the engine bay hoses and belts.

Have you test drove it yet?

Are you buying it from the original owner?

Here are some threads others have made on this coach in the past that may be helpful.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2007...earch=irv2.com
Yes, original owner. Fortunately my brother in law is a Caterpillar mechanic and diesel maintenance instructor. I will have him check everything as well.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Hey Ivy. I have a 2009 HR Gasser. Will you explain to me about the right angled corners of the window please?? I sometimes think about the front window popping out and say to myself, I really hope that doesn't ever happen. Thank you.

Tinman55. Like I mentioned I have a 2009 HR. After buying it I found nice things about it. We really like our coach. It's not top of the line but it seems to be built pretty good and we have no real complaints.
I did put in new very comfortable power seats. We both have back issues, I don't know too many people who don't, and the power settings and massage are very nice. We just need to put some miles on her.
Your rig sounds like a nice one, Enjoy!!!
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #11

Tinman 55

If you go over to the Monaco coach owners forum there is extensive knowledge about the wondering issues some Monaco coaches have.

Mike Hughes at Monacowatts.com is the guy. Also you will find info about certain Camelot windshields that pop and what the fix is.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Tinman 55

If you go over to the Monaco coach owners forum there is extensive knowledge about the wondering issues some Monaco coaches have.

Mike Hughes at Monacowatts.com is the guy. Also you will find info about certain Camelot windshields that pop and what the fix is.

Ill go check out that forum. The windshield thing is what's bothering me most I think. I was talking with my sister and she said a friend of theirs was prepping their 40 foot Monaco for a trip and when the husband put it up on jacks like he's done many times before, the windshield popped out and shattered on the ground. They only paid a deductible to fix it but he said the windshield was like 3500 bucks
Old 04-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Tinman 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Hey Ivy. I have a 2009 HR Gasser. Will you explain to me about the right angled corners of the window please?? I sometimes think about the front window popping out and say to myself, I really hope that doesn't ever happen. Thank you.

Tinman55. Like I mentioned I have a 2009 HR. After buying it I found nice things about it. We really like our coach. It's not top of the line but it seems to be built pretty good and we have no real complaints.
I did put in new very comfortable power seats. We both have back issues, I don't know too many people who don't, and the power settings and massage are very nice. We just need to put some miles on her.
Your rig sounds like a nice one, Enjoy!!!
I too was looking for the HR when the Monaco came up. I'll tell ya tho, put me in a chair with a massage option and it won't be the safest thing
Old 04-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tinman"....I owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat for ten years. The Camelot will perform very well with a new set of Koni FSD shocks. Unfortunately, that chassis uses 8 shocks. If you can't afford all 8 at once, buy the front four. All diesel pushers have what are called ride height adjustments, which makes the coach go down the road level. This is very easy to check, a little more involved to adjust. Correct ride height adds to better handling.

The Camelot comes with a three jack system, one leveling jack in the front and two in the rear. Monaco has ALWAYS said that the front jack MUST be lowered first and then the rear two. The Camelot has an automatic system that does exactly that. Just keep in mind, if you ever lower the coach manually, that front jack must touch the ground first. All of this is to prevent the windshield from cracking or being displaced. Just follow the procedure.

There is a smart guy on the Monaco Forum of IRV2 who developed a front and rear end stabilizing system for the RR8R Roadmaster chassis. This particular chassis has a large floating "H" designed suspension front and rear. The bars designed by this gentleman makes the coach track like it's on a rail. Again, do the rear and then the front when you can afford to.

Lastly, Monaco and especially the Camelot was a REALLY well built coach. You won't go wrong with your choice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote