Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

I think my starter is out of alignment...

This is Generac Q55-G mounted inside my class A. Only getting hard clicks when trying to start the generator so I removed the Starter Panel. New starter en route but I just want to make sure, however odd it may be, that its not actually supposed to look like this.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220815_133434.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	373799  
tomgilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Sorry your first post is about problems .

The starter bendix drive is not fully retracting and if there is no distortion in the photo the starter shaft appears bent , you're correct there is something wrong .

Remove the starter and try moving the gear on the flywheel , rotating the engine , with a big screwdriver ; to make sure the engine will turn over .

You don't want to mount a new starter and damage it by trying to start a seized engine.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilk View Post
This is Generac Q55-G mounted inside my class A. Only getting hard clicks when trying to start the generator so I removed the Starter Panel. New starter en route but I just want to make sure, however odd it may be, that its not actually supposed to look like this.

Thanks in advance!

Tom yes it's suppose to ;ook like that. (almost). from that angle it looks like your bendix is almost engaged but bound up on the flywheel. You can see the bendix (Starter drive) is out a little. If you just tunk it easy and it goes in (Twords the starter motor) you will know if it's out of line. Any bolts loose? Low amperage to starter ? Loose or corroded wire ?

Sorry i was typing slow and Skip beat me to it.
Old Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #4

You may not need a new starter, get the small gear to fall back down, it may be jammed. Turning the big gear one way or the other to get it to drop and see if it cranks.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #5

Yeah it is definitely bent, it seems that the starter is stuck under and sort of locked in there.

This happened after trying to start the generator with dead house batteries due to blown fuses in the converter. I fixed all that but now this is the end result.

I am almost able to remove it pretty easily but because of the bend I cant get the ratchet in there very easily to get the right side bolt out.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:34 PM   #6

It looks to me like a bolt is missing in the mounting. (left side in the picture)
Old 08-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #7

Thats actually not connected to the starter. I filmed a video back around there. Trying to get it off is a real pain.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You may not need a new starter, get the small gear to fall back down, it may be jammed. Turning the big gear one way or the other to get it to drop and see if it cranks.

I got the screwdriver in there, turned it and it popped right back up. Generator started up instantly.

On top of that I now have nice clean grounds and a new solenoid so she should be set for a while. Thanks so much for the info, super easy fix and now I can cancel my appointment.

You guys rock.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #9

My experience if starter happened stayed engaged too long after motor started, or just pain acting up, it might not be long for this world. If your highly dependant on the genny you may want to get a back up. At least try to see how much wear on bushings of motor shaft, by wiggling it around. My Generac diesel actually used/sourced a import car starter . I got a reliable brand for about $50 shipped ,cheapest if found was $30.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, starter