Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like OP was covered very well and the side trips to RV electric very informative. While we have such a gathering of electrical knowledge (which I have very little) I would like to pose a question. I wired my RV barn myself and used the 30 amp plug for my 5er for many years. I now have a MH with a 50 amp plug and using a 30 to 50 amp adapter. I normally have everything off untill packing for trip, then I turn on fridge, a few lights and maybe 1 air conditioner while loading. Question is, assumeing wiring is correct, since no problem with 5er,am I hurting anything. Remember I'm a newbie to the MH?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #44

Carolina Campers
I don't think there is any issue with your set up. Obviously, if you upgrade to 50 amp, you would not need to be concerned about what was on like with the 30 amp service. You may want to consider an upgrade to 50 amp on the event you need to use your RV as a temp living space for some reason.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #45

Carolina Campers
I stay at CG's that only have a 30 amp service without issue. The main concern is that you never know when someone may blow a breaker, like when the DW uses the hair dryer at the same time you are trying to make espresso.... Lol
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Question is, assuming wiring is correct, since no problem with 5er,am I hurting anything. Remember I'm a newbie to the MH?
The only concern is NOT going over the 30 amps that are available through your shore power.

If your coach came with an Intellitec EMS Power Management System, then it will do the thinking for you by shedding devices in order of necessity.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #47

Carolina Campers
Of course, if she had made your java before you got up, no problem!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for your replys, I did not intend to side track this thread, but their seemed to be a gathering of informed RVers here that could give me advice. I will not be upgrading to the 50amp service leaving me with the perfect excuse to not use my MH as a sleep over pad. I do have a More-inteligent-than-me system so hopfully no problems will occur. And DW usually does have the coffee ready for me. Some Kind of Wonderful.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are fine. I have the same connection at home. As you well know,the adapter will only allow 30 amp service. Furthermore, your smart system should show you how many amps you are using. I added a surge guard to my MH to take care of unseen problems in campgrounds. Unless you check each site before plugging in,you never know the condition
of the wiring. My surge guard saved me when the voltage reached 132 volts. I also use a digital voltage monitor that plugs into an inside 110 volt outlet. It is also made by Surge Guard. Both available at camping world. If you have questions, let me know. Response to Huntnski #43 Sorry
Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry again about side tracking this thread but I don't know how to send a private message. Heber the surge guard you added, is it plug in or wired in and if wired how difficult was it to do?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Looks like OP was covered very well and the side trips to RV electric very informative. While we have such a gathering of electrical knowledge (which I have very little) I would like to pose a question. I wired my RV barn myself and used the 30 amp plug for my 5er for many years. I now have a MH with a 50 amp plug and using a 30 to 50 amp adapter. I normally have everything off untill packing for trip, then I turn on fridge, a few lights and maybe 1 air conditioner while loading. Question is, assumeing wiring is correct, since no problem with 5er,am I hurting anything. Remember I'm a newbie to the MH?
Nope. You're fine. Not hurting a thing. You'll only be limited to 3600 watts of energy draw, but for getting ready to travel, running the fridge, etc. it should not be a problem.

I have a 30A plug in my barn, which is totally adequate for getting the coach ready for a trip, including cooling it down with the a/c before a trip.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sewer

I installed a sewer hookup/dump station in my driveway but I have a private cesspool and don't use a city sewer system. It wasn't very difficult, just had to run a couple of PVC pipes into the top of the tank and have them run up to the pavement of my driveway. I put some caps on them for when they are not in use. It is a bit further away than I really wanted it and I have to use an extension hose to reach but it works good. I use some old rain gutters to keep the hose in place when I have it hooked up. Also, I learned that it's important to protect the hose from the sun if you leave it connected. The CA sun here can burn holes in the extension hose pretty quickly. I'm thinking about putting in power too but I'm just plugging into the house right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2342.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	33810   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2345.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	33811  

Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Electrical plug

I had a thirty amp plug put in at my Son's house. The work was done by a lic. electrician. What the electrician didn't understand was that the plug on my rig was one of those with the handle and therefore larger and wouldn't make proper contact with the female plug he installed. My Son had a drimmel and carved the excess plastic off the recepticle allowing the rig plug to make contact. So beware miss communication.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
I had a thirty amp plug put in at my Son's house. The work was done by a lic. electrician. What the electrician didn't understand was that the plug on my rig was one of those with the handle and therefore larger and wouldn't make proper contact with the female plug he installed. My Son had a drimmel and carved the excess plastic off the receptacle allowing the rig plug to make contact. So beware miss communication.
Yup, Certified and Licensed Electricians are just as human as we are. Obviously he purchased the wrong type of 30 amp receptacle to install.

30 Amp RV receptacles are a different code than a 30 amp 240 VAC receptacle. The one specifically for RV 30 AMP is a standard ANSI C73.13, TT-30P (plug) / TT-30R (receptacle).

I would have made him change it out versus monkeying with it using a Dremel.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30 AMP RV Service.pdf (64.7 KB, 28 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #55

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It would be difficult to screw up the wiring of a 50 amp 240 Volt AC receptacle but I guess it could happen to some in you are color blind. You can't fix Stupid either.

However, it is VERY easy to mis-wire a 30 amp 120 VAC receptacle and many Certified Electricians have done just that causing hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of damage to the RV owners rig.

HOWEVER, if the RV owner would install a Progressive Industries EMS unit in their RV or have a portable one to use, that EMS unit will make SURE that the electrical power is wired correctly ALL of the time. It doesn't go to sleep or take a break, it's checking the quality of the power 24/7 when hooked up to shore power.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I too was going to suggest the Progressive Industries EMS too. That way there is never any question no matter where you are.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
To start with, spend the money and put a concrete pad in, the underneath of your Coach will stay in a lot nicer condition on cement vs gravel outside, you will be glad you did. As the others are doing well with the electrical and other items.
I didn't have the 3-4K it would cost to put the concrete pad in, I had a rock driveway next to the actual driveway in my back yard, and that's where I park the coach with no issues so far in the past 2 years with the underside of the coach.

Another plus of having the rock driveway is that the rock does not leach chemicals from the tires like concrete and asphalt. I know that's not a reason NOT to have concrete, but it helps me...

So if you can afford one, yes, put the concrete in, but if not, a good compactable rock gravel driveway works just fine.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-04_11-25-44_729.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	33832