Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ice Maker on Maytag

It has been working fine at our campsite for the last few months and then we left for a trip this past Wednesday. We dry camped for 3 days and it stopped producing ice. We had full water tank and 40% by the time we got home.

Did it stop producing ice because we never hooked up to a water supply? We had the water pump on the entire time so I would think it would pull water to produce ice as needed.

One last thing, our Maytag has the two doors above for the fridge and the single pull out freezer below. Wonder if anyone can tell me how to pull the ice maker out of the fridge (not the drawer that holds the ice). I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Sorry for the picture, for the life of me i can't figure out how to make them appear in the right position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	+luP+rX2TOiHcvC2%itqKw.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	231080  
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Your ice maker needs 120 volts AC to work.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
Your ice maker needs 120 volts AC to work.

That is what an inverter does? If he had the inverter on it should have worked.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
It has been working fine at our campsite for the last few months and then we left for a trip this past Wednesday. We dry camped for 3 days and it stopped producing ice. We had full water tank and 40% by the time we got home.

Did it stop producing ice because we never hooked up to a water supply? We had the water pump on the entire time so I would think it would pull water to produce ice as needed.

One last thing, our Maytag has the two doors above for the fridge and the single pull out freezer below. Wonder if anyone can tell me how to pull the ice maker out of the fridge (not the drawer that holds the ice). I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Sorry for the picture, for the life of me i can't figure out how to make them appear in the right position.
A Maytag? Is that a residential type refrigerator? If so and you are dry camping you need to have the inverter on to convert DC to AC power.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #5

If he did not have 120 volts, the refrigerator would not be working either. The ice maker looks just like my residential refrigerator. I have had problems with it making ice. Some times it just quits making ice for up to a week.
Jcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

Our residential refrigerator Ice Maker water port got plugged with ice and had to be defrosted. Turned off the refrigerator and defrosted it, once the water port was cleared it started making ice again.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

I have this issue sometimes, Frigidaire, first clue for me was low water pressure from fridge, I think its a combination of a older slightly clogged filter and lower pressure from using tank.
Topworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #8

The ice makers are fairly generic throughout the manufactures, except for the 3 and 4 door models. Even in the RV refrig. they use the same ice makers.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I just had to replace the ice maker in our Maytag that looks exactly like yours. It acted the same as yours, working one day and all of a sudden quit. Here is a step by step video on how to remove the ice maker assembly and change out the main unit inside. I followed this and changed ours out with no problem. It will probably require a new inside unit which costs around $240. Almost any appliance parts supplier will have the ice maker, or you can pull it out and get the part number off it and order on Amazon.

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
Our residential refrigerator Ice Maker water port got plugged with ice and had to be defrosted. Turned off the refrigerator and defrosted it, once the water port was cleared it started making ice again.
Thanks so much for everyone taking the time to reply to my question. I especially am thankful for the above post because that solved my problem perfectly. I held my wifes hairdryer in the ice maker area for 5 - 10 minutes until I didn't see any more drips of water. Turned it back on and to my hard of hearing ears Ice was dropping in a few hours.

For those that may read this thread I think what happened is when we left for our trip and boon docked for two days, even though I set up the energy management system for the auto gen start, it didn't work correctly because we manually turned on the genny to use the microwave and didn't realize I had to go back in and reset the ems. Thanks again for the responses.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I just had to replace the ice maker in our Maytag that looks exactly like yours. It acted the same as yours, working one day and all of a sudden quit. Here is a step by step video on how to remove the ice maker assembly and change out the main unit inside. I followed this and changed ours out with no problem. It will probably require a new inside unit which costs around $240. Almost any appliance parts supplier will have the ice maker, or you can pull it out and get the part number off it and order on Amazon.

Lt Dan, you're the man. I have saved this video to my RV service file for future reference. Really appreciate the response.